Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 118 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Hanley getting good reports in today's fixture v Brighton. Gilmour played whole game and interestingly McLean played just behind the front two rather than as a holding mid.

Watched the game although it was brutal. Hanley was motm for me. McLean was his usual limited self, tries really hard but not prem quality. Gilmour isnt on the same wavelength as his team mates. Thats probably because he is better than them however it really doesnt make him look  good at all.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Hanley getting good reports in today's fixture v Brighton. Gilmour played whole game and interestingly McLean played just behind the front two rather than as a holding mid.

Maybe another epl club could take a chance on him at the end of the season.

12 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Watched the game although it was brutal. Hanley was motm for me. McLean was his usual limited self, tries really hard but not prem quality. Gilmour isnt on the same wavelength as his team mates. Thats probably because he is better than them however it really doesnt make him look  good at all.

Hanley was given the who scored MoM. Cooper given a high rating too. If the two of them are fit they would be in my back line. 

Couple of other things the site is suggesting, Ryan Gauld is having a very average season,and no were near call up material. 

Stephen O'Donnell had his best game of the season. Only problem is he was playing left back! 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

13 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Gilmour isnt on the same wavelength as his team mates. Thats probably because he is better than them however it really doesnt make him look  good at all.

That is how I see it too. His mind works far quicker than theirs and is waiting for runs from his team-mates but they don't come to any great degree. I have seen enough from his Chelsea and Scotland performances to tell me he is a top quality player.

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That is how I see it too. His mind works far quicker than theirs and is waiting for runs from his team-mates but they don't come to any great degree. I have seen enough from his Chelsea and Scotland performances to tell me he is a top quality player.

Yeah I agree.

Regular EPL football was the aim for his loan but in hindsight it’s not been the right club for him. 

Be interesting to see what happens with him next season. Another loan probably likely but hopefully a much better fit for him. 

17 minutes ago, todd said:

3 eligible Scots out of the starting 22 of the Old Firm match! 

Out of 40 in the match squads, only 6 are eligible for Scotland.

What's happened to turnbull nowdays? Out of favour or been injured 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I make it 7 (not that that's much better!).  Looks like we're back to the days of the early '00s, playing 'Spot the Scot' in OF line-ups.  At least then though both teams had some genuinely top-class talent keeping the home-grown players out of team.

There are as many Japanese as Scots in the Celtic starting eleven!  🙃

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Neither of them give a fuck about playing Scots, especially Rangers.

Why would the likes of Rory Wilson stay there tbh. 

43 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I make it 7 (not that that's much better!).  Looks like we're back to the days of the early '00s, playing 'Spot the Scot' in OF line-ups.  At least then though both teams had some genuinely top-class talent keeping the home-grown players out of team.

I'd say there is more of a decent reason why there are less Scots there now. Promising Scots or proven ones have moved on from the clubs. I am thinking of Tierney, Christie, Gilmour, Patterson with the best youngsters moving on before really breaking through like Doak and Gilmour.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd say there is more of a decent reason why there are less Scots there now. Promising Scots or proven ones have moved on from the clubs. I am thinking of Tierney, Christie, Gilmour, Patterson with the best youngsters moving on before really breaking through like Doak and Gilmour.

Aye, true, the other side of the coin is we have more players playing for top clubs down south than we've had in a long time.  Twenty years ago you could only dream of having regulars at teams like Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United.

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Aye, true, the other side of the coin is we have more players playing for top clubs down south than we've had in a long time.  Twenty years ago you could only dream of having regulars at teams like Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United.

Precisely. Our best players have spread further now than five years ago. We even have players playing abroad too that are talked about in call-up terms ie Hickey, Gauld and outside shot Henderson.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

There were more English players and more Nigerians in the Rangers starting 11

Good to see Macgregor getting the better of Ramsay today.

(This is not an old firm dig/bias/agenda )

Just a comment on a Scottish midfielder getting the better of a v good Welsh one..

12 hours ago, stocky said:

Good to see Macgregor getting the better of Ramsay today.

(This is not an old firm dig/bias/agenda )

Just a comment on a Scottish midfielder getting the better of a v good Welsh one..

I know it was one game but it shone a light on why McGregor is ahead of Jack in the pecking order for Scotland at the moment.