Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 113 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

If he retired tomorrow he'd already be considered a legend. But I reckon he'll be up at the top end of the all time caps chart next to Andy Robertson and Craig Gordon by the time he hangs up his boots.

Indeed.

Considering he is still only 27 and has 42 caps, depending on fitness and longevity of his career it is not outwith the bounds of possibility he could reach 100 caps at the current rate he is picking up caps. Goals-wise he could end up surpassing the likes of Miller and McCoist on the all-time list.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Indeed.

Considering he is still only 27 and has 42 caps, depending on fitness and longevity of his career it is not outwith the bounds of possibility he could reach 100 caps at the current rate he is picking up caps. Goals-wise he could end up surpassing the likes of Miller and McCoist on the all-time list.

Definitely. If he stays injury free we play what, 8 or 9 fixtures a year? In a major tournament year, there are potentially 5+ more (a couple of friendlies plus a minimum 3 tournament games). He probably has 6 or 7 years left for us so he will be around for the next 60-80 Scotland games.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Indeed.

I'm always a bit cautious when making predictions like that. So much can change in football. E.g Gordon would have over 100 caps had it not been for a near-career ending injury.

D.Fletcher would have surpassed Dalglish's caps if it weren't for his medical condition.

McFadden would have been in the hall of fame and have a few more goals to his name had he not been hindered by injuries.

There are so many examples of guys over the years where it looked like they'd be breaking all sorts of records, only for life to get in the way.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm always a bit cautious when making predictions like that. So much can change in football. E.g Gordon would have over 100 caps had it not been for a near-career ending injury.

D.Fletcher would have surpassed Dalglish's caps if it weren't for his medical condition.

McFadden would have been in the hall of fame and have a few more goals to his name had he not been hindered by injuries.

There are so many examples of guys over the years where it looked like they'd be breaking all sorts of records, only for life to get in the way.

I did say it was not outwith the bounds of possibility.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I did say it was not outwith the bounds of possibility.

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you. He very well could end up with 100. I hope he does. But I always just think back to times I've had similar predictions that didn't materialise. If anyone deserves 100 caps for their efforts, it's McGinn.

2 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Found this video on a Chelsea website. Not a bad wee showreel!

Unfortunately 99% of the Norwich fans don’t rate him at all…. In fact if they lose when he plays it’s because of him, if they win or draw it’s in spite of him!

All I’ve seen when I’ve watched him this season is a very talented young player giving his all and trying to play the right way, surrounded by very average players! 

22 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Unfortunately 99% of the Norwich fans don’t rate him at all…. In fact if they lose when he plays it’s because of him, if they win or draw it’s in spite of him!

All I’ve seen when I’ve watched him this season is a very talented young player giving his all and trying to play the right way, surrounded by very average players! 

Gilmour is doing everything he needs to. He’s got a great career in front of him.

Norwich fans are cunts.

42 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Gilmour is doing everything he needs to. He’s got a great career in front of him.

Norwich fans are cunts.

You are spot on there.Gilmour is such a good technical player.Too far ahead in thought for most of the lumps of wood that play for norwich,who are a total mickey mouse outfit.Gilmour is far too good to play for those yokels.

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

Goals for Jacob Brown and under-21ers Elliot Anderson and Lewis Fiorini.  Fiorini's goal was a cracker, apparently.

Fiorini has a habit of scoring crackers. I think he scored some scorchers earlier in the season. Next season it would be good to see him play championship football to see how he copes at that level.

Watched the Fiorentina - Bologna match.  Bit of a scrappy match to be honest.
Hickey started as a left wing-back and looked a bit off-the-pace. He got a lot more involved when Bologna went down to 10 men after 40 minutes and Hickey was moved to left-back in a re-jigged back four. Defensively he was good (I lost count of the number of freekicks and corners that Hickey headed clear for example)

Offensively, his best moments came after he was moved to right-back for the last 15 minutes. Clearly, Mihajlovic had given him the instruction to attack--as Bologna chased for the equaliser--and that is what Hickey did. But it wasn't to be for Bologna.

In summary, another mature performance by Hickey.

50 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Watched the Fiorentina - Bologna match.  Bit of a scrappy match to be honest.
Hickey started as a left wing-back and looked a bit off-the-pace. He got a lot more involved when Bologna went down to 10 men after 40 minutes and Hickey was moved to left-back in a re-jigged back four. Defensively he was good (I lost count of the number of freekicks and corners that Hickey headed clear for example)

Offensively, his best moments came after he was moved to right-back for the last 15 minutes. Clearly, Mihajlovic had given him the instruction to attack--as Bologna chased for the equaliser--and that is what Hickey did. But it wasn't to be for Bologna.

In summary, another mature performance by Hickey.

Good enough for RB for us? Patterson not even on bench again today and O’Donnell only makes bench for Motherwell. Surely should get a chance in a friendly even if he didn’t fancy playing for u21s 

1 minute ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Good enough for RB for us? Patterson not even on bench again today and O’Donnell only makes bench for Motherwell. Surely should get a chance in a friendly even if he didn’t fancy playing for u21s 

Well, it was very much a 'cameo' at right back today. So that would be a tough call to make. Though he has been playing there for Bologna in other recent matches. I personally thought he looked good. I wouldn't be that suprised if Steve Clarke and his team are at least taking a look at that option? (If they don't fancy him there, then fair enough).

Yes, I was disappointed he turned his nose up at the u21s (not a good look). But watching him play, he doesn't look like a 19 year old, and certainly doesn't play like one. So maybe he just sees himself as a potential senior player now? (A wee touch of arrogance in a player might not be such a bad thing?)

48 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fiorinis goal

Great strike. 👏

I remember him scoring a cracker for NAC Breda when he was on loan there last season. Might have been voted goal of the season, but I could be havering there.

Lowry came on for the final 5 minutes today and immediately set up Rangers third goal. He showed great composure and timing to hold off on playing the through ball and timed it perfectly for Sakala.

The lad has a massive future and I get the feeling he is being prepped to be a squad player for next season. We did similar with Patterson at 18. Lowry like Patterson was promoted to first team training post winter break at 18. Both involved in some matchday squads untill the end of that season, though Lowry has played a few more times than Patterson did in that same period. Then promoted to understudy at the start of the next season. Hopefully this is his trajectory for the start of next season. 

That said I do feel like Lowry could have been involved in a few more games. Lowry just has such natural technique and great vision that he could've helped in certain games. Don't get me wrong he is a massive work in progress and has a ways to go with the physical side and off the ball work but he does have that X-factor on the ball that makes you jump off your seat. While he nowhere near his level yet, he reminds me a lot of Joe Aribo. He has that effortless technique, were he can skip past 2/3 players with just dropping his shoulder while also being taller (6ft) than what someone of his playstyle usually is.

On 3/14/2022 at 4:47 AM, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Lowry came on for the final 5 minutes today and immediately set up Rangers third goal. He showed great composure and timing to hold off on playing the through ball and timed it perfectly for Sakala.

The lad has a massive future and I get the feeling he is being prepped to be a squad player for next season. We did similar with Patterson at 18. Lowry like Patterson was promoted to first team training post winter break at 18. Both involved in some matchday squads untill the end of that season, though Lowry has played a few more times than Patterson did in that same period. Then promoted to understudy at the start of the next season. Hopefully this is his trajectory for the start of next season. 

That said I do feel like Lowry could have been involved in a few more games. Lowry just has such natural technique and great vision that he could've helped in certain games. Don't get me wrong he is a massive work in progress and has a ways to go with the physical side and off the ball work but he does have that X-factor on the ball that makes you jump off your seat. While he nowhere near his level yet, he reminds me a lot of Joe Aribo. He has that effortless technique, were he can skip past 2/3 players with just dropping his shoulder while also being taller (6ft) than what someone of his playstyle usually is.

GVB does seem keener to give youth a chance than Gerrard. Would also like to see more of Leon King.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:42 AM, Tartan blood said:

I think McGinn is literally the last person we should be worried about. By his own admission, he is in the form of his life, and a diehard Scotland fan that will never drop out of a squad. 

Plus, scoring isn't his main job. Not even for Scotland. It's always a bonus when he scores for us, not an expectation. He'll go down as a Scotland great. Only 8 caps away from being in the hall of fame, as well as one of our top scorers. 

It may be because he plays much deeper than for us, allowing Ramsey to be the AM.