The news thread - Page 95 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

58 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

A few weeks ago, his colleagues didn't think he was fit for office.

It would absurd if they now allowed him back in.

I was gutted when he departed and today, I'm gutted Truss has departed; both great for Scottish independence.

I just hope the Tories can find someone equally or more inept.

I know what you mean, part of me was pleased when both of them got in for the same reason, but I had hugely underestimated how quickly everything would unravel for Truss!

The Tories are bound to elect someone semi-competent eventually though, they can't keep picking numpties - can they??

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mordaunt could give Starmer a run for his money. And she would appeal to the Tory base.

Even Sunak - he has less range than Mordaunt but competing for the same boring/safe pair of hands territory, some Tories could be convinced to vote for the devil they know (rather than Starmer).

Then there is Alexander 'Cincinnatus' Johnson - in a crazy year, who knows?

Edited by exile

11 minutes ago, exile said:

Mordaunt could give Starmer a run for his money. And she would appeal to the Tory base.

Even Sunak - he has less range than Mordaunt but competing for the same boring/safe pair of hands territory, some Tories could be convinced to vote for the devil they know (rather than Starmer).

Then there is Alexander 'Cincinnatus' Johnson - in a crazy year, who knows?

I doubt Johnson would get the 100 MPs needed to get on the ballot paper

In terms of indy, I reckon Sunak would be best for SNP. The closer the Tory PM is to Starmer - competent grey suit - the more it's a toss up between them and the more even a field to split the unionist vote. The more horrid right wing the Tory, the more ppl may feel motivated to vote Labour to get rid of them.

Also I suspect Sunak is less of a visceral Brit nationalist, not that he's not a unionist, but he might not always have his eye on the ball, maybe like Cameron who did the minimum to fight indyref.

Especially if it's a plebiscite, I reckon the closer the big two are to each other, as 2 versions of tory lite unionism, the more the contest would be on indy territory.

Whereas the more right wing Toriness, the more its about the left appealing to eject the right, or a 3 way contest

17 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Really. Who do you think will?

I'd say he will be the only one at this point. 

I guess we will see.

Woe betide i agree with you however Johnson is an absolute shoe in and dont know why folk cant see it

On the betting front all the money today has been for Bojo and he is down to 7/2 from 14/1

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Woe betide i agree with you however Johnson is an absolute shoe in and dont know why folk cant see it

On the betting front all the money today has been for Bojo and he is down to 7/2 from 14/1

The audience in Cheltenham don’t seem too fond of him tbf?

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

The audience in Cheltenham don’t seem too fond of him tbf?

It's all about the next election and who the Tory MPs want to go into it with as leader

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

I know what you mean, part of me was pleased when both of them got in for the same reason, but I had hugely underestimated how quickly everything would unravel for Truss!

The Tories are bound to elect someone semi-competent eventually though, they can't keep picking numpties - can they??

I don't think they have anybody even semi competent left. They have all fuked off to make loads of dosh elsewhere. I mean they now think Hunt is a bit of a saviour. Has everybody forgotten how totally fukin useless he was previously?

14 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

He is the only one who arguably has  a mandate and therefore could prevent a GE, for that reason alone he must be a strong candidate . It is fookin bizarre that the guy who was forced to resign as as the Tory MPs we worried about their own jobs is now a strong candidate to be re-elected to save their bloody jobs. Because that is what it has become. A race to find someone to prevent a GE. 

Listening to LBC tonight, a lifelong Labour voter phoned in to say how great Boris is and how - despite being a lifelong Labour voter - he voted for Boris in the 2019 general Election.

He went on to say; Conservative Party without Boris - He'd vote Labour 100%

But... Conservative Party with Boris, he'd vote Conservative 100%

In Boris, I see a scruffy, gibberish-talking, twat; an embarrassment on the world stage; someone I wouldn't trust to look after a dug.

What on Earth do these other people see?

I don't hate Boris, but I just don't 'get it'. 

I don't see what they see.

It does not matter that the conservatives with the big help of the bbc etc stabbed Johnson in the back like norman bates' pin cushion. The people who voted for him never did.

They will take him back with relief.

Edited by thplinth

59 minutes ago, thplinth said:

It does not matter that the conservatives with the big help of the bbc etc stabbed Johnson in the back like norman bates' pin cushion. The people who voted for him never did.

They will take him back with relief.

Johnson won his big majority off the back of 'getting Brexit done'. That's what allowed the Tories to break the 'red wall'.

But now brexit has been 'done', can he repeat the trick of getting natural Labour voters to vote for him?

I doubt it.

I'm quite happy for Johnson to come back. I don't think he's anywhere near as popular as he thinks he is.  I think he's tainted. My concern would be that they elect someone who is more photogenic than Truss, speaks better than Truss, is more competent than Truss (I accept this is a low bar) and that person continues the same damaging right wing agenda but packages it up more sophisticatedly so that it is swallowed by the gullible.

Saw someone describe the situation

"this is like when you have weak batteries in your remote, so you replace them with a few loosies from your junk drawer and those are even worse, so you just put the original batteries back in and keep your fingers crossed."

It was the media who got rid of Johnson. The BBC in particular was relentless in this regard... I still don't understand what they hoped to achieve in doing that. It decapitated the UK of any real leadership (which is far worse than Johnson believe it or not). The BBC (news) really is a very nasty and destructive organization, very anti-british in many ways.

The removal of Johnson was the mistake, the aberration, putting him back merely reverses it but the problem is you can't put all the toothpaste squeezed out in the intervening period back in the tube. He will have to work with the people dancing in his grave not that long ago and trying out his PM chair for size. But if anyone has the brass neck for it it is Bojo. He will relish it.

Johnson for his part is affable. None of the others are, not even remotely. The tories have a real problem brewing there - serious lack of talent on the bench. And as bad as it is for the tories it is FAR worse for the SNP. Sturgeon has never faced any competition as leader, nothing and she instinctively surrounds herself with people less competent than herself. And she has stocked the upper echelons of the SNP with total dickheads. The state of political parties in the UK is shocking right now and I think it is really starting to show... we are now a basket case country.  Look a the nick of us.

Edited by thplinth

4 minutes ago, thplinth said:

It was the media who got rid of Johnson. The BBC in particular was relentless in this regard... I still don't understand what they hoped to achieve in doing that. It decapitated the UK of any real leadership (which is far worse than Johnson believe it or not). The BBC (news) really is a very nasty and destructive organization, very anti-british in many ways.

The removal of Johnson was the mistake, the aberration, putting him back merely reverses it but the problem is you can't put all the toothpaste squeezed out in the intervening period back in the tube. He will have to work with the people dancing in his grave not that long ago and trying out his PM chair for size. But if anyone has the brass neck for it it is Bojo. He will relish it.

Johnson for his part is affable. None of the others are, not even remotely. The tories have a real problem brewing there - serious lack of talent on the bench. And as bad as it is for the tories it is FAR worse for the SNP. Sturgeon has never faced any competition as leader, nothing and she instinctively surrounds herself with people less competent than herself. And she has stocked the upper echelons of the SNP with total dickheads. The state of political parties in the UK is shocking right now and I think it is now really starting to show... we are now a basket case country.  Look a the nick of us.

How would it be possible for her to do anything else?