The news thread - Page 99 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason he pulled out is in his statement.

Boris Johnson has ruled himself out of the race to be the next Conservative Party leader and prime minister. Here is his statement in full:

In the last few days I have been overwhelmed by the number of people who suggested that I should once again contest the Conservative Party leadership, both among the public and among friends and colleagues in Parliament.

I have been attracted because I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago - and I believe I am therefore uniquely placed to avert a general election now.

A general election would be a further disastrous distraction just when the Government must focus on the economic pressures faced by families across the country.

I believe I am well placed to deliver a Conservative victory in 2024 - and tonight I can confirm that I have cleared the very high hurdle of 102 nominations, including a proposer and a seconder, and I could put my nomination in tomorrow.

There is a very good chance that I would be successful in the election with Conservative Party members - and that I could indeed be back in Downing Street on Friday.

But in the course of the last days I have sadly come to the conclusion that this would simply not be the right thing to do. You can't govern effectively unless you have a united party in parliament.

And though I have reached out to both Rishi (Sunak) and Penny (Mordaunt) - because I hoped that we could come together in the national interest - we have sadly not been able to work out a way of doing this.

Therefore I am afraid the best thing is that I do not allow my nomination to go forward and commit my support to whoever succeeds.

I believe I have much to offer but I am afraid that this is simply not the right time.

Bojo was ousted the first time because the tories did not close ranks and support him. Instead they backstabbed him like crazy out their own personal ambitions.

For him to come back they would have had to do it (close ranks) as for sure the BBC and media cocksuckers would have been going straight back after him just like they did before.

Old school tories would have closed ranks (the first time) and just rebuffed the media, this lot though... they are real vipers. They seemingly can't think about what is collectively smart.

Sunak is fucked before he starts because he was one of the biggest vipers (not Gove level but getting there quick). With no mandate, no party unity, a lot of MP thinking he is a grade A cunt (which he clearly is) before he even starts...

Johnson was their only slim chance to avoid an early GE but there is a reason this tory party is making such a mess of it, because they are a mess. I don't see given the first real crisis how Sunak will be any different to Truss however this is the last chance saloon now.

What a shit show the tories are.

I have been attracted because I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago

Massive election victory less than 3 years ago... to this. I still can't hardly believe it myself. Imagine how Bojo must feel... 'How in the fuck...' 😀

9 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The reason he pulled out is in his statement.

Boris Johnson has ruled himself out of the race to be the next Conservative Party leader and prime minister. Here is his statement in full:

In the last few days I have been overwhelmed by the number of people who suggested that I should once again contest the Conservative Party leadership, both among the public and among friends and colleagues in Parliament.

I have been attracted because I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago - and I believe I am therefore uniquely placed to avert a general election now.

A general election would be a further disastrous distraction just when the Government must focus on the economic pressures faced by families across the country.

I believe I am well placed to deliver a Conservative victory in 2024 - and tonight I can confirm that I have cleared the very high hurdle of 102 nominations, including a proposer and a seconder, and I could put my nomination in tomorrow.

There is a very good chance that I would be successful in the election with Conservative Party members - and that I could indeed be back in Downing Street on Friday.

But in the course of the last days I have sadly come to the conclusion that this would simply not be the right thing to do. You can't govern effectively unless you have a united party in parliament.

And though I have reached out to both Rishi (Sunak) and Penny (Mordaunt) - because I hoped that we could come together in the national interest - we have sadly not been able to work out a way of doing this.

Therefore I am afraid the best thing is that I do not allow my nomination to go forward and commit my support to whoever succeeds.

I believe I have much to offer but I am afraid that this is simply not the right time.

Bojo was ousted the first time because the tories did not close ranks and support him. Instead they backstabbed him like crazy out their own personal ambitions.

For him to come back they would have had to do it (close ranks) as for sure the BBC and media cocksuckers would have been going straight back after him just like they did before.

Old school tories would have closed ranks (the first time) and just rebuffed the media, this lot though... they are real vipers. They seemingly can't think about what is collectively smart.

Sunak is fucked before he starts because he was one of the biggest vipers (not Gove level but getting there quick). With no mandate, no party unity, a lot of MP thinking he is a grade A cunt (which he clearly is) before he even starts...

Johnson was their only slim chance to avoid an early GE but there is a reason this tory party is making such a mess of it, because they are a mess. I don't see given the first real crisis how Sunak will be any different to Truss however this is the last chance saloon now.

What a shit show the tories are.

I have been attracted because I led our party into a massive election victory less than three years ago

Massive election victory less than 3 years ago... to this. I still can't hardly believe it myself. Imagine how Bojo must feel... 'How in the fuck...' 😀

As ever, with Bojo , its all about Bojo. He brought it all on himself. Was the easiest job the media have had despite rags like the Mail and Express protecting him like fook. 

One thing I am almost certain of is the BBC and media would not be slaughtering the Tories like this if Corbyn was still the leader of Labour.

But Sir Keir means they have a lock on in the next GE. Nothing but tories... So it allows them the freedom to put this crop of grasping incompetents to the sword without fear of a decent person being elected.

Starmer seems to be the anointed one with the BBC etc paving his way with slaughtered tories. 😀 (Meaning he is almost certainly a Blair level cunt.)

Looking like a single candidate coronation. If it turns out that way, then it will be seen as a stitch up organized by the tory leaders. The membership will not be happy with that (except for the ones who supported Sunak - less than 50%, I would guess). Those members will probably be dead before they forgive them for that. What will the Boris supporters do now? 

And i use the term Tories here but really they bear little resemblance to the Tories of the Thatcher era... they are just the same neo-liberal, globalist, pro-war, unipolar, woke package that ALL the major political parties across Western Europe (and North America) offer now with few exceptions.

And as Malcolm likes to mention all of them are strangely subservient to arsewipes like Klaus Schwab and his evil agenda. It is most peculiar and quite sinister. 

Edited by thplinth

18 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Looking like a single candidate coronation. If it turns out that way, then it will be seen as a stitch up organized by the tory leaders. The membership will not be happy with that (except for the ones who supported Sunak - less than 50%, I would guess). Those members will probably be dead before they forgive them for that. What will the Boris supporters do now? 

Oh I am sure they will get behind Rishi and do everything in their power to ensure his reign as PM is as successful as possible. They probably watch his leadership video every morning for that extra boost of inspiration before heading off to work.

11 hours ago, aaid said:

All those people predicting that Johnson was nailed on to win might want to reevaluate their positions.

I hope no one put any money on him. 

(Looks at Bongo.)

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

All true, and if we had a media in this country which did its job he might be in bother. Luckily for him - and unluckily for the rest of us - we don't.

What we do have are a large swathe of the population who are politically disengaged and so clueless as to how the world works that they'd no more know a hedge fund from a hedgehog.

If he keeps the equally bland Hunt on as Chancellor and if they can somehow steady the ship that will be enough for a lot of people.

I suspect he will keep on Hunt, at least in the short term as he'll be looking to steady the ship. Unfortunately there are people who get sucked in by Hunt's image. I was on the phone to my 89 year old mother last night and she was singing his praises though the main basis for this seemed to be solely that he wasn't Kwarteng. I did mention the mess he'd made of things in the NHS and how he'd ignored the Cygnus report but I don't think any of that sank in. So long as there's a nice picture of him in the Daily Mail she'll have confidence in him.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

As ever, with Bojo , its all about Bojo. He brought it all on himself. Was the easiest job the media have had despite rags like the Mail and Express protecting him like fook. 

I reckon the real reason he pulled out was because he looked at the current state of things and realised he might have to do some work.  Why go through all that hassle again when he can earn decent coin going on "speaking tours" instead?

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Anyone aware of any polling done amongst the general public about the extent to which whoever became PM would affect their voting intentions? I can see the racists not voting Tory because of Sunak but probably more than counter balanced by other factors.

It is definitely a quandary for the No Surrender Rangers anti SNP brigade i'd imagine

Take from it what you will but the 1922 committee have stated that Johnson did have over 100 nominations

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

It is definitely a quandary for the No Surrender Rangers anti SNP brigade i'd imagine

Take from it what you will but the 1922 committee have stated that Johnson did have over 100 nominations

Nah, as long as Scotland is ruled from London they won't mind who's PM.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

So, does this mean NI will be going up in April after all? It was Sunak's policy in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if he is tempted to put it up even more than the 1.25% he originally planned.

Don't think so. The NI reversal is just about on the statute books. Hence why Hunt didn't scrap it last week

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

your first sentence… why?  Perfectly possible to be rangers supporting, anti snp and not bigoted or racist!

26 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Perfectly possible to be rangers supporting, anti snp and not bigoted or racist!

I can guarantee you from my 55 years in the area i live and circles i have ran in , that while it is possible it is highly unlikely

Sunak, one of the richest guys about going to lead a country thats on its arse and tell us its fine and how mch the tories care etc etc.

He could give every single person in the UK £1 million and still have over £600 Mil in the bank. 

Think of the boost the economy would get if everyone had that money. Nobody would go to work probably but still