The news thread - Page 112 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

55 minutes ago, aaid said:

Strangely, always thought she was really funny but in reality her career basically boiled down to playing one role.

Could have been worse - she could have been remembered for The Black and White Minstrel show

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

And that Driver-only operated trains is potentially a lethal decision.

If there is a train crash, sadly it is odds on that the driver will be killed. A train crash with survivors wandering blindly across live tracks with trains still running on it will lead to more fatalities.

The train manager/conductor is the staff that would inform the signal boxes and electrical suppliers of a crash and get the lines shut and power to the lines switched off to enable a safe evacuation (if needed ) of the train. And his job to ensure they exit in the right manner and safely and in correct direction. Lose him and you lose all of that.

And then who is to help disabled passengers to and from a train at unmanned stations? Who is to police trains when you have abusive passengers assaulting other passengers? Who is to inform passengers of delays and any connections they can get in case of disruption. At present the train drivers do not have that sort of knowledge.

The TOC's wanting this driver-only operated trains have absolutely no answer to those questions and neither does the government.

Not disagreeing or questioning your analysis but just wondering, aren't there lots of trains that are already driver-only? Apart from some of the mainline trains, isn't it common to have trains with no other staff on board?

16 hours ago, aaid said:

Strangely, always thought she was really funny but in reality her career basically boiled down to playing one role.

Playing one role (gormless guffy twat) albeit in numerous films hasn’t done Hugh Grants career any harm 🥴

On 12/10/2022 at 10:04 PM, exile said:

Not disagreeing or questioning your analysis but just wondering, aren't there lots of trains that are already driver-only? Apart from some of the mainline trains, isn't it common to have trains with no other staff on board?

There are a growing amount but not on longer routes. My original points all stand.

These government bastards are playing god with passengers lives with this move. They'll attempt to get away with it until a rail disaster shows up the catastrophic flaws in the idea. A bit like Grenfell - countless complaints and protests from residents about the risks were ignored by the local Tory councillors and then disaster struck.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Clearly Fashion Sakala’s saucy pics are more important in Scotland or maybe it’s because they know a story like that doesn’t play well in Scotland.  A tale of two countries.

1AA090BA-E812-40FE-B1CB-1E64B5750375.webp

Agreed. And the angst between rail workers and Westminster is ten-fold to that of rail workers and Holyrood.

Absolutely incredible, out-of-touch front page of the Daily Heil today.  Do they seriously think folk struggling to heat their homes and pay for food at the same time will look at that picture and think, "Well that's a load off..."

We could always burn copies of it to keep the chill at bay I suppose.  Fkin unbelievable.  Our bills are through the roof, but never mind... there's a couple of over-privileged parasites, that'll never have to worry about whether their numerous castles are warm enough, grinning along with all the extra mouths they've been kind enough to let us feed.  GTF.  🤬

Mail

How good is this ?

Went to my Granny's after Primary School in the mid 70s and she gave me a bowl of cornflakes whilst Crown Court was on !

British Archive TV channel Talking Pictures has announced they will be broadcast the 1970s’ ITV series Crown Court, starting in January 2023.

The show began on ITV in 1972, running for 879 episodes over 11 series. It was produced by Granada TV, and originally broadcast in a daytime slot. The first three part story broadcast was Doctor’s Neglect? Unusually for a show from this period, all episodes of the series exist

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

How good is this ?

Went to my Granny's after Primary School in the mid 70s and she gave me a bowl of cornflakes whilst Crown Court was on !

British Archive TV channel Talking Pictures has announced they will be broadcast the 1970s’ ITV series Crown Court, starting in January 2023.

The show began on ITV in 1972, running for 879 episodes over 11 series. It was produced by Granada TV, and originally broadcast in a daytime slot. The first three part story broadcast was Doctor’s Neglect? Unusually for a show from this period, all episodes of the series exist

The jury weren’t actors, IIRC.

24 minutes ago, aaid said:

The jury weren’t actors, IIRC.

Correct - and two endings were filmed depending on the Jury's decision

Some amount of classic actors of the time were in it - Tom Conti, Michael Elphick, Bernard Hill, Peter Capaldi, Ben Kingsley, Mark McManus, Ian Hendry et al

Some top totty as well - Margaret Nolan and Luan Peters who were two of my all time favourites 

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Correct - and two endings were filmed depending on the Jury's decision

Some amount of classic actors of the time were in it - Tom Conti, Michael Elphick, Bernard Hill, Peter Capaldi, Ben Kingsley, Mark McManus, Ian Hendry et al

Some top totty as well - Margaret Nolan and Luan Peters who were two of my all time favourites 

Get the Sullivans on.  

9 hours ago, daviebee said:

Absolutely incredible, out-of-touch front page of the Daily Heil today.  Do they seriously think folk struggling to heat their homes and pay for food at the same time will look at that picture and think, "Well that's a load off..."

We could always burn copies of it to keep the chill at bay I suppose.  Fkin unbelievable.  Our bills are through the roof, but never mind... there's a couple of over-privileged parasites, that'll never have to worry about whether their numerous castles are warm enough, grinning along with all the extra mouths they've been kind enough to let us feed.  GTF.  🤬

Mail

Amongst other things it was -10C travelling into work this morning so how on earth a bunch of over privileged toffs and their progeny prancing about in the sunlight is meant to make me feel better is quite beyond me.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

How good is this ?

The theme tune still gives me the chills because it meant it was time to walk back to school after dinner break.

25 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The theme tune still gives me the chills because it meant it was time to walk back to school after dinner break.

😁

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

GMB union rejects NHS offer in Scotland. 

GMB members voted over 60% against the deal. Unite and Unison were 64% and 58% in favour. That's quite a big difference between sets of workers in the same sector, some of them doing the same jobs. It would be interesting to understand why different sets of union members have such different views.