The news thread - Page 117 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Yes, he is a bellend and clearly his editor is too. My issue is mainly with the fact that this could be published in what is seen as a ‘ mainstream’ political magazine. Where does it stop ? Could you imagine if The National published something like this about English people ? It would be bedlam in the media , screaming xenophobic nats. The fact I can only use The National as an example shows how little support there is out there for independence in the media. 

No denying the double standard in the media and the lack of independence support. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

I know it was a sad life, but In what way was she let down?

She was 4 when Elvis and Priscilla divorced and was 9 when Elvis died 

So if her formative years were not fucked up right away they would be finished by Priscilla dating someone a few months after her Dad died, who then allegedly sexually abused her when she was 12-15

She was also allowed to go to Rock concerts when she was 11 but because of who she was she was backstage etc

She should have been protected from that and also given better guidance

It's clear that she wasnt given all the fuck ups that followed

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

She was 4 when Elvis and Priscilla divorced and was 9 when Elvis died 

So if her formative years were not fucked up right away they would be finished by Priscilla dating someone a few months after her Dad died, who then allegedly sexually abused her when she was 12-15

She was also allowed to go to Rock concerts when she was 11 but because of who she was she was backstage etc

She should have been protected from that and also given better guidance

It's clear that she wasnt given all the fuck ups that followed

Let’s not go into Priscilla’s back story, just because it was Elvis. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Let’s not go into Priscilla’s back story, just because it was Elvis. 

I'm sure it was already mentioned when Jerry Lee Lewis died

Nice beaver

School strikes. One of the first things I did in returning to teaching was join a union. Whilst EIS is the largest union for secondary teachers in Scotland, I've rejoined the NASUWT for which I'd previously been a union representative. I've been out on strike twice in the last couple of months. I'm disappointed that NASUWT in England will not be striking. What I find really disappointing is that 95% of those who voted, voted for strike action. However under Tory legislation the Union didn't reach the threshold for the strike to be legal. I know it could be argued that those who didn't vote were in effect saying 'no' but it still doesn't seem right. It smacks of people who don't have the courage of their convictions, they'll sit in the fence, won't support colleagues, but will happily accept the benefits of others sacrifices. 

20 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

School strikes. One of the first things I did in returning to teaching was join a union. Whilst EIS is the largest union for secondary teachers in Scotland, I've rejoined the NASUWT for which I'd previously been a union representative. I've been out on strike twice in the last couple of months. I'm disappointed that NASUWT in England will not be striking. What I find really disappointing is that 95% of those who voted, voted for strike action. However under Tory legislation the Union didn't reach the threshold for the strike to be legal. I know it could be argued that those who didn't vote were in effect saying 'no' but it still doesn't seem right. It smacks of people who don't have the courage of their convictions, they'll sit in the fence, won't support colleagues, but will happily accept the benefits of others sacrifices. 

Wasn't there a problem with ballots as well? Sent out two sets only second set counted, break down in communication of what one to send? Just briefly read about it so like always could be talking mince.

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Really rips my knitting too. 🙄 We have the same problem in the civil service - luckily most departments have finally managed to meet the threshold this time - all it took was a derisory 2% pay offer. One of the few who didn't - and one of the few the government actually has a degree of respect for - HMRC, are being balloted again.

To my mind though, if you can't be bothered even to put a cross on a piece of paper and post it then you shouldn't complain about the decisions taken by those who could be bothered to engage. 

Of course, increasing the threshold was a deliberate ploy by the Tories, who are still trying to make striking even harder still. It'll be interesting to see if Labour, should they win the next election, try and amend the legislation back to what it was.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Really rips my knitting too. 🙄 We have the same problem in the civil service - luckily most departments have finally managed to meet the threshold this time - all it took was a derisory 2% pay offer. One of the few who didn't - and one of the few the government actually has a degree of respect for - HMRC, are being balloted again.

To my mind though, if you can't be bothered even to put a cross on a piece of paper and post it then you shouldn't complain about the decisions taken by those who could be bothered to engage. 

Of course, increasing the threshold was a deliberate ploy by the Tories, who are still trying to make striking even harder still. It'll be interesting to see if Labour, should they win the next election, try and amend the legislation back to what it was.

Totally agree with you.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

The French know how to do strikes properly. All this to try to stop the pension age being raised from 62 to 64. 64!!!!!. Imagine that. Not getting the state pension until 64. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/nationwide-strike-france-against-macrons-pension-reform-2023-01-19/

https://www.reuters.com/business/sustainable-business/french-union-threatens-cut-electricity-mps-billionaires-amid-nationwide-strike-2023-01-18/

16 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The French know how to do strikes properly. All this to try to stop the pension age being raised from 62 to 64. 64!!!!!. Imagine that. Not getting the state pension until 64. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/nationwide-strike-france-against-macrons-pension-reform-2023-01-19/

Still boils my piss that in 2014 Better Together were stating as fact Scots would lose their pensions if they went independent. After the No vote returned a few years later Westminster bumped retirement age up above the average lifespan age of Scots.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

there is good reason why they are raising it.  Previously there were four workers for for every retiree to pay for it, now there is only 1.7 per retiree.  The sums don’t add up.  Either you reduce the number of retirees or you increase the number of workers.

the western world is entering unchartered territory with the dramatic shift in aging population.