The news thread - Page 113 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

GMB members voted over 60% against the deal. Unite and Unison were 64% and 58% in favour. That's quite a big difference between sets of workers in the same sector, some of them doing the same jobs. It would be interesting to understand why different sets of union members have such different views.

GMB told members to reject it

British Labour at it again

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

GMB members voted over 60% against the deal. Unite and Unison were 64% and 58% in favour. That's quite a big difference between sets of workers in the same sector, some of them doing the same jobs. It would be interesting to understand why different sets of union members have such different views.

Possibly large blocks of different types of NHS jobs within differing Unions - meaning differing levels of gains to be had. The other factor is a differing narrative being defined by different unions. (GMB politics already highlighted) 

5 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Taxes going up in Scotland.  

41p rate going to 42p - alongside the continued freeze on the thresholds achieving ScotGov’s fiscal drag policy. A lot of people fighting hard for pay rises, only to be pushed into higher bracket. 

while I’m not going to argue the merits or not of increasing tax revenue, I think we have agree that the 42p tax is not aimed at high earners, but average households.  If we were to look at the professions that were in the high rate tax in the 90s, the landscape is entirely different.

also 47p at the highest rate is dangerously close to 50p which psychologically means you are working for the government not yourself.  I would be tempted to go part time to become more tax efficient, or seek compensation in the form of equity rather than salary. 

Think those on variable incomes should be able to use unused tax benefit for previous years on their income.

18 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

while I’m not going to argue the merits or not of increasing tax revenue, I think we have agree that the 42p tax is not aimed at high earners, but average households.  If we were to look at the professions that were in the high rate tax in the 90s, the landscape is entirely different.

also 47p at the highest rate is dangerously close to 50p which psychologically means you are working for the government not yourself.  I would be tempted to go part time to become more tax efficient, or seek compensation in the form of equity rather than salary. 

Think those on variable incomes should be able to use unused tax benefit for previous years on their income.

No we can't agree that 42p is not aimed at higher earners.

It is.

The average wage in Scotland is @ 28k.those above £42k are in the higher wage percentage.

in fact @ 50% higher than average.

so the 42p rate is aimed at those on the higher wage scale.not the average earner.

also 

nobody knows what'' unused tax benefit from previous years even means..''

I certainly don't..

the vast majority of people pay PAYE.

😂 

This is a good one. Let that be a lesson to you hen. Never pack your voice box in hold luggage, always keep it in your hand luggage. She can't perform because BA lost her suitcase, FFS. 😂 

I don't think the Pope will mind too much if she is wearing 3 day old pants. 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64002094

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Gutted

He made everything he touched better

terry hall.jpg

terrible news.  Grew up listening to two tone wearing sta press, dog tooth trousers and Harringtons.  along with the jam, defined the turn of that decade for me. Saw them in glasgow on the 30th anniversary tour.

54 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

terrible news.  Grew up listening to two tone wearing sta press, dog tooth trousers and Harringtons.  along with the jam, defined the turn of that decade for me. Saw them in glasgow on the 30th anniversary tour.

Maybe you should’ve listened to the lyrics

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Latest pay offer rejected by The Royal College of Nursing  members in Scotland. 

There was a bit of premature celebration from those backing the government when the initial 2 unions accepted. It was far from a done deal. 

Seems that they are heading for strikes. 

Apparently 7.5% was put to them - below inflation but compared to some offers being made it's okay (where I work for instance we were given 2% 🙄).

In the current climate I'm not sure how much they expect to get. Down south nurses were apparently offered 4% - I can quite easily see a scenario where they end up accepting less than nurses up here rejected!

21 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Apparently 7.5% was put to them - below inflation but compared to some offers being made it's okay (where I work for instance we were given 2% 🙄).

In the current climate I'm not sure how much they expect to get. Down south nurses were apparently offered 4% - I can quite easily see a scenario where they end up accepting less than nurses up here rejected!

I suspect they might do some sort of deal which rolls an improved deal over to next year.  So, 7.5% is the best we can do for this year but we can give you more next year - the tax rate increases in the budget are hypothecated for the NHS anyway.

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

There was a bit of premature celebration from those backing the government when the initial 2 unions accepted. It was far from a done deal. 

Seems that they are heading for strikes. 

From what I can gather, a lot have already jumped ship to TRCoN since that vote too such was their annoyance at their own union. I know my sister in law has.