The news thread - Page 111 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, phart said:

Pretty dangerous times with what is being described as right-wing groups using or planning to use violence to enact political change.

German problems this time.

It’s a very serious and worrying situation and good to see the Germans taking steps.

I did have a smile though at the report which said they had a number of people with military background including former East German soldiers.  Given they’d have to be in their 50s by now, that and their raisin d’etre put me in mind of the old Reggie Perrin spin-off, Fairly Secret Army.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63890726

I'm just posting this as it's another fine example of how reporting events in England is different from how they're reported in Scotland. Horrible picture of problems in NHS England but not one single mention of the words Conservatives, Tories or references to the Health Minister or quotes from opposition parties. Any problems in Scotland it's SNP fault, in England it's just that the NHS is failing.

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63890726

I'm just posting this as it's another fine example of how reporting events in England is different from how they're reported in Scotland. Horrible picture of problems in NHS England but not one single mention of the words Conservatives, Tories or references to the Health Minister or quotes from opposition parties. Any problems in Scotland it's SNP fault, in England it's just that the NHS is failing.

Quite. They even say ‘Similar pressures are being reported in other parts of the UK’ , as if to excuse England.

On the other hand, I had a quick google of ‘Nhs crisis scotland BBC ‘ and got this. Unbelievable how they constantly mention the SG and have Labour and Tory sticking the boot in ,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63793352.amp

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Quite. They even say ‘Similar pressures are being reported in other parts of the UK’ , as if to excuse England.

On the other hand, I had a quick google of ‘Nhs crisis scotland BBC ‘ and got this. Unbelievable how they constantly mention the SG and have Labour and Tory sticking the boot in ,

A google of NHS England crisis bring this up as BBC news.’ Department of Health England’  , once, is mentioned with absolutely no specific person or party. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-63885374.amp

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Yep, full house! Mention of Scottish Government, SNP, quote from opposition MSP and call for the Health Minister to resign. Bingo!

On 12/6/2022 at 6:24 PM, dan cake said:

Noticed Eddie Jones has been booted, Iv absolutely no interest in rugby whatsoever but he really is an odious little cunt. I really struggle to think of likeable Australian sportsman

Danny Ricciardo always comes across well.  As does Cam Smith if you put his LIV defection to one side.

5 hours ago, aaid said:

Alternatively- SACK HUMZA YOUSAF

I am not a massive fan of Humza but it is ridiculous how individuals are pilloried in Scotland .

I actually had to google who the UK health Secretary was , its Steve Barclay, even when I saw his name it did not jolt my memory. It could be because there have been umpteen cabinet reshuffle’s amidst the No10 revolving door but I can honestly say I had no idea who it was. 

On 12/6/2022 at 9:02 PM, fringo said:

And that Driver-only operated trains is potentially a lethal decision.

If there is a train crash, sadly it is odds on that the driver will be killed. A train crash with survivors wandering blindly across live tracks with trains still running on it will lead to more fatalities.

The train manager/conductor is the staff that would inform the signal boxes and electrical suppliers of a crash and get the lines shut and power to the lines switched off to enable a safe evacuation (if needed ) of the train. And his job to ensure they exit in the right manner and safely and in correct direction. Lose him and you lose all of that.

And then who is to help disabled passengers to and from a train at unmanned stations? Who is to police trains when you have abusive passengers assaulting other passengers? Who is to inform passengers of delays and any connections they can get in case of disruption. At present the train drivers do not have that sort of knowledge.

The TOC's wanting this driver-only operated trains have absolutely no answer to those questions and neither does the government.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And that Driver-only operated trains is potentially a lethal decision.

If there is a train crash, sadly it is odds on that the driver will be killed. A train crash with survivors wandering blindly across live tracks with trains still running on it will lead to more fatalities.

The train manager/conductor is the staff that would inform the signal boxes and electrical suppliers of a crash and get the lines shut and power to the lines switched off to enable a safe evacuation (if needed ) of the train. And his job to ensure they exit in the right manner and safely and in correct direction. Lose him and you lose all of that.

And then who is to help disabled passengers to and from a train at unmanned stations? Who is to police trains when you have abusive passengers assaulting other passengers? Who is to inform passengers of delays and any connections they can get in case of disruption. At present the train drivers do not have that sort of knowledge.

The TOC's wanting this driver-only operated trains have absolutely no answer to those questions and neither does the government.

Presumably travelling on trains is for plebs and if Tory MPs have to use the railways they'll have accompanying minions.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong but this prisoner swap between Russia and the yanks seems to me like the Russians got the better deal.

The yanks give the russians one of the biggest arms dealers in history who will no doubt know so much shit and the yanks get a basketball player. Good PR for Biden I guess but am I missing something?

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Can someone correct me if I am wrong but this prisoner swap between Russia and the yanks seems to me like the Russians got the better deal.

The yanks give the russians one of the biggest arms dealers in history who will no doubt know so much shit and the yanks get a basketball player. Good PR for Biden I guess but am I missing something?

That was my thinking, the lassie’s arrest was probably politically motivated but she did have cannabis oil on her which is illegal in Russia and admitted to her crime (obviously a ridiculously harsh sentence). The Lord of War guy has the blood of 1000s on his hands and there’s every chance he’ll go back to dealing arms, harsh on the girl but is putting this guy back into the world really a good idea