UEFA nations league 20/21 - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

UEFA nations league 20/21

Terry Munro

Interesting how a lot of teams seem to be playing each other over and over.

Wales/Ireland again.

Us after not meeting Israel for 30 odd years will now face them 5 times in 3 years.

Iceland/Belgium ; NI/Austria ; England/Belgium all played quite a lot of recent too. Even our own draw, Slovakia a few years back ; tempting fate but possibly their former countrymen at the Euros?

Our group looks pretty good, TBH. Czech Republic weren't exactly great in qualifying - in what was a reasonably friendly group for them - Slovakia, if we have turned the corner/momentum from these playoffs could well be for the taking and Israel after having a good year or so two years ago, seem to be way off the boil of late. Don't think we'll win it, but shouldn't get relegated.

32 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Fixtures are out.

Czech's away in September.

Slovakia and Israel away in November.

Pissed off.

You're pissed off?   Wait 'til Mrs Grim finds out she has no exotic holiday on her birthday this October.   Fek, I'll need to think of something called a presant.

4 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

You're pissed off?   Wait 'til Mrs Grim finds out she has no exotic holiday on her birthday this October.   Fek, I'll need to think of something called a presant.

Yeah... Employers won't allow any time off this September, so I'll miss the Czech away match.

I'm good for November, but Slovakia being paired with Israel away when it could have been paired with the Czech Republic is a tad frustrating.

Scotland Fixtures

Scotland v Israel - Friday, 4 September 2020 - 7.45pm

Czech Republic v Scotland - Monday, 7 September 2020 - 7.45pm

Scotland v Slovakia - Thursday, 8 October 2020 - 7.45pm

Scotland v Czech Republic - Sunday, 11 October 2020 - 2pm

Slovakia v Scotland - Saturday, 14 November 2020 - 5pm

Israel v Scotland - Tuesday, 17 November 2020 - 7.45pm

All kick-off times are UK time.

9 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I know - I was thinking a wee Slovakia/Czech double header in October week would've been barry.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It's cos they shat the bed as Germany were relegated, so they did away with the 3 team groups.

I honestly can't see anything that is remotely good about this whole set up.

12 hours ago, Shaundy said:

C’mon ballers. 
after a magnificent performance in this summer’s euros , or not we go into a contest with two of our nearest contestants again. .

dohadeer and Bonny , will buy you a pint 

Up for that

53 minutes ago, aaid said:

I honestly can't see anything that is remotely good about this whole set up.

I like it.  There was always likely to be changes after the first effort.  

The group we have this time is excellent! Instead of Albania we have Czech Rep and Slovakia.  These are the sort of sides we need to learn to beat home and away if we want to reach a World Cup.  

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

A lot less friendlies.

Don Hutchison made the point on 5 LIve last night that with no friendlies and every game apparently crucial where's your opportunity to bring new players into the side.

So, I don't see that as a positive.

Just now, PASTA Mick said:

I like it.  There was always likely to be changes after the first effort.  

The group we have this time is excellent! Instead of Albania we have Czech Rep and Slovakia.  These are the sort of sides we need to learn to beat home and away if we want to reach a World Cup.  

Yeah because we haven't had much experience of playing teams like the Czech Republic and Slovakia in recent years have we.

One of the criticisms raised at the time would be that you'd end up playing the same teams but we were assured that wouldn't be a problem.   That worked.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Don Hutchison made the point on 5 LIve last night that with no friendlies and every game apparently crucial where's your opportunity to bring new players into the side.

Thats a sacrifice of having meaningful games. I know what I would prefer and thats meaningful games. 

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't think we learn anything from friendlies. Loads of players won't turn up. Most of the ones that do only play half a game then we get six subs in the space of 15 minutes. Waste of time. We struggle to persuade players to turn up for competitive matches never mind meaningless friendlies.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats a sacrifice of having meaningful games. I know what I would prefer and thats meaningful games. 

Outwith whatever matches we arrange at the end of the season we will have zero friendlies this year and I suspect that'll pretty much become the norm from now on as UEFA want all games under their control for TV revenue.

There needs to be a balance.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Exactly. I must admit, I thought it would take longer than one season of the Nations League before we heard some dissenting voices asking for international friendlies to be brought back.

International friendlies were probably the biggest blight on an already overly-packed football calendar. Good riddance to them, shame on Don Hutchison and anyone else wishing them back. Give the Nations League time to find its best format.

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

Yeah because we haven't had much experience of playing teams like the Czech Republic and Slovakia in recent years have we.

One of the criticisms raised at the time would be that you'd end up playing the same teams but we were assured that wouldn't be a problem.   That worked.

The last time we played Czech Rep in a competitive match was 9 years ago. Some of our players were barely out of primary school. The only player from that game still in our squad is Naismith.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think we learn anything from friendlies. Loads of players won't turn up. Most of the ones that do only play half a game then we get six subs in the space of 15 minutes. Waste of time. We struggle to persuade players to turn up for competitive matches never mind meaningless friendlies.

I disagree.   Playing international friendlies isn't only about giving your existing squad of players more time to perfect a given system its also about trying new players and systems and that's as much about finding out who and what doesn't work as it it about what does work.

John Colquhoun said of his two caps in friendlies against Saudi Arabia and Malta that Andy Roxburgh had given him the opportunity to prove he wasn't good enough for the level.   Berti Vogts took that to extremes but I'd much rather someone or something got found out in a "meaningless" friendly than in an important competitive game.

As I said, there needs to be a balance.