UEFA nations league 20/21 - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

UEFA nations league 20/21

Terry Munro

5 hours ago, dan cake said:

Wonder what part of Slovakia and Israel we’ll get punted to this time? noticed Bratislava has a shiny new stadium and hopefully the Israelis will save us a trip up to Haifa again 

Aye that stadium in Trnava was shite. They’re played ROI in the stadium in Bratislava so hopefully likely to play us there too. 

5 hours ago, dan cake said:

Wonder what part of Slovakia and Israel we’ll get punted to this time? noticed Bratislava has a shiny new stadium and hopefully the Israelis will save us a trip up to Haifa again 

4 hours ago, saintsparky said:

New stadium in Tel Aviv also finished now. 29,000 seats, and walking distance from the beach... 

When we were there before, Israel only played in Haifa or Jerusalem; they hadn't played in Tel Aviv in ages.

I actually visited the stadium in Jerusalem (Beitar v Hapoel Tel Aviv) the same week we played Israel in Haifa.

It's not a new build, but it is way out of the centre (with little in the way of public transport).

There was nothing of any note around the stadium except for a big shopping centre, which is where I had a pre-match beer.

Fingers crossed it'll be Tel Aviv's new stadium.

49 minutes ago, Geeman said:

Aye that stadium in Trnava was shite. They’re played ROI in the stadium in Bratislava so hopefully likely to play us there too. 

Oh c'mon, it had 1 stange stand, but it wasn't shite. The redevolpment was only 1 year old when we were there and it was literally across the road from the Old Town.

I liked Trnava and her stadium, but I expect it'll be Bratislava next time.

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Oh c'mon, it had 1 stange stand, but it wasn't shite. The redevolpment was only 1 year old when we were there and it was literally across the road from the Old Town.

I liked Trnava and her stadium, but I expect it'll be Bratislava next time.

I could be blinded by getting pumped 3-0 and the beer that tasted like mercury. Still a bastard to get to compared to Bratislava. 

if it’s in Bratislava, have a grand idea of staying in Vienna and travelling over for the game and back again after.   

I kind of got my wish on this, in that there's a double-away-header rather than leaping back and forth.   However, first look and Slovakia-Israel would not be straightforward, and so playing in Bratislava would help.

Trnava was great though.   Not the game obviously, though I barely remember it myself.   The only game Ive ever been at totally shitfaced, 'cause we got the ko time an hour wrong, and therefore had to squeeze in another (two)... of what turned out to be the best beer I'd ever tasted.

I have a feeling I've told that before, but seem to have lots a few neurons, so please forgive me.

Strangely I do remember the beer!   Cerna Hora, which is actually Czech.  

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 7:13 AM, scottincarlisle said:

Scotland Fixtures

Scotland v Israel - Friday, 4 September 2020 - 7.45pm

Czech Republic v Scotland - Monday, 7 September 2020 - 7.45pm

Scotland v Slovakia - Thursday, 8 October 2020 - 7.45pm

Scotland v Czech Republic - Sunday, 11 October 2020 - 2pm

Slovakia v Scotland - Saturday, 14 November 2020 - 5pm

Israel v Scotland - Tuesday, 17 November 2020 - 7.45pm

All kick-off times are UK time.

So, do any of you think we will actually see our beloved Scotland play this year?

Surely they'll just scrap the nations league. (if it's played it will be BCD). Hardly worth it when you think all it really offers is the odd backdoor route into play offs.

Seems they want to play all the lost internationals in December but to me it makes more sense to do the world cup qualifying draw and get that started at some point next season (can play the euro play offs in March 2021 which may be infront of a crowd).

52 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Surely they'll just scrap the nations league. (if it's played it will be BCD). Hardly worth it when you think all it really offers is the odd backdoor route into play offs.

Seems they want to play all the lost internationals in December but to me it makes more sense to do the world cup qualifying draw and get that started at some point next season (can play the euro play offs in March 2021 which may be infront of a crowd).

Ah well, I’ve a weekend in Budapest in November then.  Mibbe

I think binning it will be last resort, as UEFA need to make up for no Euro 2020, and Group A is effectively their "mini" Euros.

Regarding us, Czech and Slovak clubs are back in training (fair number of "friendlies" involving Czech clubs were streamed on YouTube over the weekend... watched Bohemians v Jihlava at the weekend, and Slavia actually played two back to back games yesterday) and Israeli clubs were playing games yesterday. 

Prague might be behind closed doors (or a GREATLY reduced attendance, as the August date for when large crowds can start regathering in Central Europe is just far to tight), Slovakia MIGHT be ok, but Israels 14 day quarantine policy makes that game look a little iffy. 

Seemingly the Czech President previously suggested their country might be closed to foreigners for 2 years, but I can't see that happening.

I would imagine Prague's tourist industry is one of the Czech Republic's biggest incomes and call me cynical, but at some point most Governments will order the people back to work and the children back to school; no matter how many lives Coronavirus is claiming.

5 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Seemingly the Czech President previously suggested their country might be closed to foreigners for 2 years, but I can't see that happening.

I would imagine Prague's tourist industry is one of the Czech Republic's biggest incomes and call me cynical, but at some point most Governments will order the people back to work and the children back to school; no matter how many lives Coronavirus is claiming.

A lot of places like bars and cafe's in Vienna and Prague reopened this weekend (friendly who lives in Vienna went out for his first beer in months yesterday afternoon), but a lot of Central European Countries have had it well under control from the off (Mrs speaking to her folks in Ukraine last night, and the Flea Markets are to reopen this week).

UEFA have scrapped their monthly meeting for this month (due to something with regards to Euro 2020 venues having issues for next summer) so any talk of binning the nations league is on hold until the middle of June.

I cannot feasibly see them dropping the Nations League altogether, I would need to look at the Calendar to see for next year - they may move the pay off spots to the 2021 league, and even at that because we looking at a winter world cup - they could even use the 2022 league for play offs - two of the 2020, 2021 or 2022 Nations Leagues are not going to have any bonus play off spots - so maybe I just spoke myself into the Nations League 2020 being removed from the calendar - there is little  consequence and they use those dates for domestic leagues who are likely looking at late start anyway.  With all thins considered, having a World Cup in 2022 rather than the summer might be fortuitous because you have more years to get leagues back onto their regular calendar without the World Cup in two summers time impacting your planning.   

Think they may scrap 1 set of fixtures ( Sept) and combine it with the last 2 (so 2 triple headers in Oct Nov) they will not want to scrap completely given that they have sold TV rights for the guts of 200 games including the big names  Could  move the first set to Dec.  Probably screwed either way as has been stated they will likely be BCD. So screwed anyway with a flight to Helsinki in October but think I can get a  voucher from Lufthansa for it . Play offs pushed back to March 2021would be my guess

Edited by Newryrep

On 3/7/2020 at 10:46 PM, Grim Jim said:

I kind of got my wish on this, in that there's a double-away-header rather than leaping back and forth.   However, first look and Slovakia-Israel would not be straightforward, and so playing in Bratislava would help.

Trnava was great though.   Not the game obviously, though I barely remember it myself.   The only game Ive ever been at totally shitfaced, 'cause we got the ko time an hour wrong, and therefore had to squeeze in another (two)... of what turned out to be the best beer I'd ever tasted.

I have a feeling I've told that before, but seem to have lots a few neurons, so please forgive me.

Strangely I do remember the beer!   Cerna Hora, which is actually Czech.  

I agree, Slovakia was a great trip and Trnava was braw! 

(agree re the game, was burst, cannae mind anything about it and how I managed to get on the right bus back to Bratislava is beyond me)

IIR, the FAI chief said he thought it would be something like the Nations League games in September and October, with the first playoff game in October and the final in November. 

If that's true, maybe makes it a bit easier for booking (if we beat Israel) Oslo or Belgrade. 

Don't know if we'll see any games with large crowd numbers this year, TBH. 

Might even be the Nations League moved to behind closed doors and the playoffs in Feb/March?

On 5/19/2020 at 3:04 AM, Newryrep said:

Think they may scrap 1 set of fixtures ( Sept) and combine it with the last 2 (so 2 triple headers in Oct Nov) they will not want to scrap completely given that they have sold TV rights for the guts of 200 games including the big names  Could  move the first set to Dec.  Probably screwed either way as has been stated they will likely be BCD. So screwed anyway with a flight to Helsinki in October but think I can get a  voucher from Lufthansa for it . Play offs pushed back to March 2021would be my guess

I completely forgot all about TV rights, you raise a very good point. 

10 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

IIR, the FAI chief said he thought it would be something like the Nations League games in September and October, with the first playoff game in October and the final in November. 

If that's true, maybe makes it a bit easier for booking (if we beat Israel) Oslo or Belgrade. 

Don't know if we'll see any games with large crowd numbers this year, TBH. 

Might even be the Nations League moved to behind closed doors and the playoffs in Feb/March?

Clarke was in the papers on Sunday, and way he was talking, it will be next year when the play off's will be played.

Been some rumours of "triple-headers" in September and October, but has went no further than the Irish, Turkish and Bulgarian football press talking about it (they were also saying the Nations League was going to be scrapped ahead of the last UEFA meeting, and never happened).

I think at the moment nobody knows, and Ceferin was in the press yesterday giving it sob stories that UEFA is skint and needs football back.

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Clarke was in the papers on Sunday, and way he was talking, it will be next year when the play off's will be played.

Been some rumours of "triple-headers" in September and October, but has went no further than the Irish, Turkish and Bulgarian football press talking about it (they were also saying the Nations League was going to be scrapped ahead of the last UEFA meeting, and never happened).

I think at the moment nobody knows, and Ceferin was in the press yesterday giving it sob stories that UEFA is skint and needs football back.

which is why i think the euro nations  will go ahead even behind closed doors, plus the money thay have lost/partially deferred for euro 2020 which would of been sizeable

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 4:05 AM, Bzzzz said:

I agree, Slovakia was a great trip and Trnava was braw! 

(agree re the game, was burst, cannae mind anything about it and how I managed to get on the right bus back to Bratislava is beyond me)

Of course that’s nowt to do with finding that wee cool local pub with the never ending rusty nails, is it? 😄