General Election 2019 - Page 40 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

5 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Is it just me or is the whole Corbyn anti-semitism story/smear/information the most outrageous, continued and widely accepted ‘fact’ in modern times ? I’m not really a fan of Corbyn but this stuff seems so ridiculous its beyond belief. 🤷‍♂️

Shite gets peddled all the time with varying degrees of merit but this one seems like its on another planet.

Yep - it's been an absolute all out assault on Corbyn since from the Conservative establishment since before he even got into power but even more so since. They've done an absolute number on him to fend off even the possibility of the UK public having a fair chance at voting for radical Labour policy. 

The irony being that Labour stood by and in fact were complicit in this very tactic during the indyref campaign.

3 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

totally agree.  Absolutely plain as day what has been done to him.

I don't think anyone really even believes it either.  

Unfortunately I think a huge part of the population do actually believe it. Through a combination of ignorance, stupidity and blind British nationalism. 

5 hours ago, Mitre said:

My old man is not voting for the first time in his life. He voted Labour in 1966 then SNP in every subsequent election.

He is a soft-ish Nationalist but is pissed off with some of the SNP's recent policies. Worried about the path Sturgeon is taking them down.

My mum flips between Labour and SNP and is also not voting.

Constituency is Hamilton East and Lanark. I think it will be touch and go (<100). Tories were 3/1 last week. Won't be that now.

Unionist vote seems to be going blue by all accounts.

This certainly seems to be possible.

Texting one mate who is a died in the wool red/white/blue unionist in Paisley. He hates the SNP so much that I would have said that keeping them out was always his priority. He's a brexiteer and pretty right-wing so I was joking to him about how he's going to feel voting for Corbyn to keep the 'SNP out'. This time he said he's voting Tory for the first time ever. 

No doubt there are many like him.

It's a question of what the other voter movement is in Scotland. How many pro-remain votes do the Tories actually leak? I think that vote will actually hold up.  What about Labour?  On one hand they are offering radical policy, but on the other hand Corbyn has been unconvincing on Brexit. They could rally some votes based on policy but leak pro-remain / anti-SNP to the Libs, leak pro-union to Tories, and some small numbers continuing to move to SNP. 

The effectiveness of specifically targeted local campaigning in marginals as well could have a big impact.

I think the gains the Tories made last time round catapulted them towards what they will now do in consolidating as the main opposition in Scotland. 2017 results also gave a clearer picture of who is positioned to beat the SNP if voting tactically. This was highly desirable for unionists after 2015 but it was difficult to achieve from that starting point. I think from the 2017 baseline it is much more achievable to vote tactically - but Brexit I suppose is the spanner in the works. 

So basically, feck knows what's going to happen across Scotland! 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

image.png.235fa853cc76326fc8a68fa04a58dc90.png

2 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

If these fucktards are voting Tory simply on the premise of being a Bluenose then they don't deserve the vote. Given the consequences of Johnson, as predicted, being returned 

They know exactly what they're doing. 

They have done since the indyref when the Tory establishment and orange order mobilised the blue bigot vote to protect their endangered UK/Royal establishment. That set the battle lines but they've ramped it up ever more since then. Things like Ruth campaigning on British Army tanks with union jacks and repeated use of phrases like 'we are the people' is playing right into this game.

Unfortunately I think the pro-yes side has all too willingly leapt into the battle here. Wings has been hugely anti-Rangers which is something that I don't think is helpful on such a political campaign platform. Similarly, SNP MP's/MSP's on the twitter sphere very openly Celtic supporting further plays into this narrative. None of this is constructive for Yes IMO. 

6 hours ago, WCTA said:

Firstly, I understand your sadness at your Gran giving up on something she has staunchly done. I don’t mean to sound like a cunt here but the best thing for Scotland is for as many old folk as possible to give up voting. 

My own 90 year old gran is doing the same. "I'll leave it to the young ones" she says. Aye. But that didnae stop you voting No in 2014, did it, ye auld duffer! :lol:

4 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Scarily I think there is a section of the population who believe any old shite spoon fed to them.  I've seen quite a few folk in Stoke say they're voting Tory because of the anti-Semite stuff and meeting Gerry Adams.  

One of the English lads on here made the point that the anti-semitism smear isn't just about trying to prevent him winning the election, it's about neutering him if he does.

If he becomes PM he'll likely have the UK recognise Palestine as a fully sovereign UN state. Opponents will be able to say 'Ahh, well as Jew-hater of course he would!'

35 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Google Image Gerry Adams or Martin Maguinness with anyone of any note and you'll find it......... The Queen; Prince Philip; Prince Charles; Tony Blair; Bill Clinton and even Nelsen Mandela.

All smiling away; enjoying themselves on a jolly somewhere.

Not forgetting a Conservative government propped up by a party with their own terrorist connection's, but that's okay because those terrorists were on our side; despite the fact the worst act of terrorism on the island of Ireland was carried out by one of those terrorist organisation.

... and Corbyn has had to endure all this shit for all this time?

It's a disgrace. 

I've posted this before, but if you read the Stevens inquiry into N.I. you get this part

"When you talk about Intelligence, of the 210 people we arrested, only three were not (Intelligence) agents. Some of them were agents for all four of those particular organisations (Army, MI5, MI6 and Special Branch), fighting against each other, doing things and making a large sum of money, which was all against the public interest and creating mayhem in Northern Ireland. Any system that is created in relation to this country and Northern Ireland has to have a proper controlling mechanism. It has to have a mechanism where someone is accountable for what the actions are and that has to be transparent"

So everyone arrested on the Loyalist side for illegal troubles related activities only 3 weren't working for at least ONE branch of the security services. Some were working for all 4 operating in that theatre.

Plus you know they had assets in the republican side too.

Certainly puts a different spin on things.

13 minutes ago, phart said:

There information out there from former MI5 agent that Maguiness was UK intelligence as well, although hard to verify.

More evidence that the Omagh bombing was allowed to go ahead to preserve a plant in the I.R.A.

I'd say the second one's more likely than the first.   Spreading rumours that Maguiness was a tout would be exactly the sort of thing that the security services would do to discredit him within his own community.  

54 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'd say the second one's more likely than the first.   Spreading rumours that Maguiness was a tout would be exactly the sort of thing that the security services would do to discredit him within his own community.  

Exactly, it might be true but at the same time it's exactly the type of lie that would work to destablise an enemy.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:36 PM, exile said:

There's an uncanny sense of deja vu. It almost looks as if it could be a stalemate, some sort of tight tory majority, a late Labour swing, but not good enough to dislodge Johnson. 

Maybe after all we need Brexit to happen before anything will seriously shift. 

Then again the polls said indy vote would go up if Boris got in, but the impact is hardly evident

No idea how to remove a quote on the phone. Apologies to exile.

Survation final #GE2019  poll (fully weighted Scotland subsample n=910)

SNP 45.6%
CON 27.4%
LAB 14.8%
LD 9.6%
BXP 1.4%
GRN 1.1%

Edited by weekevie04

5 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

SNP 45.6%
CON 27.4%
LAB 14.8%
LD 9.6%
BXP 1.4%
GRN 1.1%

Did they give a seat projection for Scotland?

I don't have a great feeling for tonight, not really sure why.

A couple of months ago there was predictions of the Tories losing all their seats in Scotland and SNP being on 50+.

Bad feeling there will be minimal gains tonight for SNP.

8 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Polls showing some labour voters who considered voting torie are now taking second thought ,this could be good or bad for the snp

my brother has voted labour all his life however he’s lending his vote to the snp in Cumnock think the snp will take this seat from the tories   

Scotland aside, I am not sure why but I have a feeling Labour will do a lot better than projected. Corbyn actually resembles a normal human being, whereas Johnson comes across as someone who has an 'act'. You don't really know what or who he is beneath it. Feels like there could be a big last minute surge for Corbyn. 

Probably given how all this has gone the last few years we will end up back in the exact same situation we were in prior to this GE being called. Trapped in this weird position of not being able to actually leave or remain as no cunt can agree on the way forward.

12 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Probably given how all this has gone the last few years we will end up back in the exact same situation we were in prior to this GE being called. Trapped in this weird position of not being able to actually leave or remain as no cunt can agree on the way forward.

I agree. I don't see a big Tory majority and think we will be back to where we were before the GE was called.

53 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Scotland aside, I am not sure why but I have a feeling Labour will do a lot better than projected. Corbyn actually resembles a normal human being, whereas Johnson comes across as someone who has an 'act'. You don't really know what or who he is beneath it. Feels like there could be a big last minute surge for Corbyn. 

I am gradually feeling the same though I am not sure whether I actually believe this or whether I am convincing myself because I want it to be true.
I was in England recently visiting clients and and it was like sitting in umpteen conservative party broadcasts, depressing. But I really am hoping there is an upset down there. 

Edited by TDYER63

Does anything change if Corbyn wins? Brexit still has to happen, the UK will still be bitterly divided. Just as Indy has screwed Scotland, Brexit has screwed the UK, I honestly think it will take the best part of a decade for things to get back to normal. 

Corbyn is obviously miles more preferable to Johnson, and he does gets a ridiculous time from the media, but he brings a lot of it on himself. The fuddery, indecisive, non answering personality, the old disheveled  man appearance, it’s just not endearing to the general population. 

17 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

totally agree.  Absolutely plain as day what has been done to him.

I don't think anyone really even believes it either.  

Like Alfie Moon says, I really think a lot of people actually do believe it. Not only that they do not believe he can deliver on his promises.

We have been systematically indoctrinated by this conservative government to believe there is no money , despite them finding cash to help their pals and dubious political parties who back them up. 

9 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

SNP 45.6%
CON 27.4%
LAB 14.8%
LD 9.6%
BXP 1.4%
GRN 1.1%

That result would have Rooth The Mooth skinnydipping in Loch Ness which is why i doubt it will be that 

Will happily be proved wrong though