General Election 2019 - Page 68 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

14 hours ago, thplinth said:

FFS I see what you mean... hilarious.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/476520-white-supremacy-pranks-4chan-offense/

John Swinney has made an absolute cunt himself over this... :lol:

edit: and he's not the only one! dearie me.

Older folk just don't understand teenagers/ younger generation.

There's multiple attempts each day to get something they consider innocous to create a ruckus. When they get on to the mainstream media, they then all laugh at these old clueless "old" folk trying to talk about memes and how they're on TV saying a frog is a hate symbol and stuff.

No explanation how "it's OK to be White" is Neo-nazi "propaganda".

This is the "proof" yet the meme doesn't even appear in the discord chats. "The keep calm and carry o"n meme isn't racist cause then someone used the template to make a "keep calm and murder minorities" one. I've honestly tried to understand the position but for me there is no proof.

https://twitter.com/IGD_News/status/929955896448376832

It's a troll designed to point out the hypocrisy seen by some in the media and in people's views.

Edited by phart

On 11/29/2019 at 12:11 PM, phart said:

On Soros no point investigating him on anything, if you bring it up everyone been conditioned to bark regardless of the content. So never really looked into him or what he uses his resources for.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/52773.htm

I have often wondered what Soros' game was. What he is up to in Ukraine is quite insightful to what he is up to in Europe say...

Farage (despite his faults) called out the EU parliament over Soros' influence. He is spending huge sums to influence policy and you can be sure, despite the carefully crafted altruistic veneer to it, none of it will good for the citizens of the EU. He is a front for something else I suspect. Bad, bad news wherever he goes.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/52773.htm

I have often wondered what Soros' game was. What he is up to in Ukraine is quite insightful to what he is up to in Europe say...

Farage (despite his faults) called out the EU parliament over Soros' influence. He is spending huge sums to influence policy and you can be sure, despite the carefully crafted altruistic veneer to it, none of it will good for the citizens of the EU. He is a front for something else I suspect. Bad, bad news wherever he goes.

The Tories are in a battle with him as it was revealed he might be caught up in a funding opposition scandal.

From Mail

Tories call for urgent investigation into £3million that George Soros funnelled into anti-Brexit campaign aimed at bringing down Boris Johnson

• Tories called for an urgent probe into George Soros's American organisation
  • The MoS discovered it put money into a campaign trying to block Brexit 
  • His New York-based Open Society Foundation sent the money to the pro-EU Best for Britain group via a London outpost 

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

What happened to the SNP support between 1974 GE and GE 1979?  Why did the party lose so many seats? 

Squeezed by Labour and the Conservatives.

An underwhelming performance at a by-election in Hamilton (Margo MacDonald was the candidate) the previous year was widely seen as a sign that the party had was losing voters sympathy.

A lot of the eleven were also the subject of ferocious hatchet jobs by the media of the day. It didn't help either that party leader Billy Wolfe repeatedly kept failing to win a seat.

It must be remembered though that in five or six of those seats lost in 1979, they were only lost by a few hundred votes. 

12 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Squeezed by Labour and the Conservatives.

An underwhelming performance at a by-election in Hamilton (Margo MacDonald was the candidate) the previous year was widely seen as a sign that the party had was losing voters sympathy.

A lot of the eleven were also the subject of ferocious hatchet jobs by the media of the day. It didn't help either that party leader Billy Wolfe repeatedly kept failing to win a seat.

It must be remembered though that in five or six of those seats lost in 1979, they were only lost by a few hundred votes. 

The political map between the two elections are striking, another think that surprised me is how liberal scotland used to be, the political landscape has been so different in the last 20 years and is all i have ever witnessed 

8 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The political map between the two elections are striking, another think that surprised me is how liberal scotland used to be, the political landscape has been so different in the last 20 years and is all i have ever witnessed 

In the 20th century, across the UK the Liberals "heartlands" has tended to be in rural areas where the working classes worked in areas such as agriculture, which were typically non-unionised.   In towns and cities where it was more about industry and where the trades unions had power and influence it was Labour that were pre-eminent amongst the working classes.  That's why in England you see - or have seen strong Liberal support in places like the South-West and East Anglia and why in Scotland, the Liberals were/are strong in places like the Highlands, NE Fife and Borders.   Over the years the reasons why people gravitated towards the Liberals in those areas has lessened but the "habit" still remains  

In a UK context, the Tories main advantage is that they have at least some support across the whole country, that's something the SNP have replicated in Scotland over the last decade or so. 

45 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I don't think the Liberals ever had more than about 3 or 4 seats throughout the 70s? Could be wrong.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

What happened to the SNP support between 1974 GE and GE 1979?  Why did the party lose so many seats? 

Different things were going on in different seats, but I would say that the main reason was that the traditional Tory voters who had helped elect most SNP MPs in 1974 moved back to the Tories to help get rid of a very unpopular Labour government at UK level.

At that time there was some mileage in the "Tartan Tory" tag that was inflicted on the SNP.

The country was in a mess. Much worse than now. Thatcher was promising to sort it out. Most folk didn't realise what a tyrant she would turn out to be.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think the Liberals ever had more than about 3 or 4 seats throughout the 70s? Could be wrong.

Do you mean in Scotland or the UK during the seventies ?

In Scotland the Liberal's usually managed to get three or four MPs.

In the UK overall they managed in 1970 - 6, Feb 1974 - 14. Oct 1974 - 13, 1979 -11.