General Election 2019 - Page 57 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General Election 2019

Just now, Mox said:

Not a bad night up here, we've done our bit but the real tragedy is these northern towns voting labour, my solidarity with the English working classes fades day by day

Well if Labour have abandoned the working class in Scotland (as they have) why would you expect the English working class to stay with them?

21 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The UK voted to leave? 

Scotland should have another referendum though and yes could remind everyone at every opposition of better together pish 

The whole point is now though that Scotland has a far, far different political view from the restof the UK. A whole host of recent election results show that and the Brexit vote showed it too.

Struggling to find cause for celebration. Good result for the SNP on paper but it feels moot considering the whopping majority the tories got. Dreadful result. We are really in for it now. Does independence feel any more attainable as a result of last night. It all just feels a bit hollow. 

24 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

How can the SNP convert their dominance in the polls and turn it into a majority for independence ?  I would love to see it but the polls tell us different. 

Latest poll had Yes at 46% and No at 47% so it is very tight. Now the coming weeks we will have BJ denying Scotland an IndyRef2 and then (perhaps) Brexit happening. That can only serve to bring mote people on board the Yes bus. And all of that before the nightmare of Brexit and all it will do to harm the country kicks in to fuel the Yes vote further.

41 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

How can the SNP convert their dominance in the polls and turn it into a majority for independence ?  I would love to see it but the polls tell us different. 

Don't forget the 2014 referendum showed 10% in favour of scotland not to be independent. 

11 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

Don't forget the 2014 referendum showed 10% in favour of scotland not to be independent. 

Just a 6% swing required then. 

At my local Polling station there was noticeably a lot more younger folk than usual and definately seemed busier. 

Edited by Och Aye

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I am gutted about the size of margin we lost by in banff and buchan i never seen that coming😢 local activists tried their hardest here aswel 

B&B will soon learn, once bojo the monkey and his mates ignore them during Brexit they'll be greetin like fuck and pining for the SNP again.

Bittersweet morning overall. Seeing england vote so overwhelmingly for tory is sad but scotland being mostly yellow is pleasing. The SNP have to get on this now. Theres a prime minister and cabinet who genuinely dont care for scotland or it's people. If the SNP dont gain independence at the next referendum, they never will. 

On another note, northern ireland has a nationalist majority for the first time ever.

42 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I genuinely don’t understand why people are surprised at the results in England, a Tory majority was nailed on, I couldn’t see anything else. 

You're right but it's always quite shocking to see swathes of working class towns vote in Tories, no matter how normalised it's become over the last few elections.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Struggling to find cause for celebration. Good result for the SNP on paper but it feels moot considering the whopping majority the tories got. Dreadful result. We are really in for it now. Does independence feel any more attainable as a result of last night. It all just feels a bit hollow. 

I'm the same - SNP plan seems to be to ask again but really nicely this time. I have a bit of hope though in that they weren't daft enough to discuss a plan B last night but that obviously presumes there is one.

On the other hand Boris can play to the galleries by telling us to piss off and folk down south would lap that right up.  

A great result for SNP - really did fear it as going to be a pretty poor night. Overall, I'm also happy there's going to be a resolution to brexit. Was blatantly obvious England wanted it done and another hung parliament or a Labour government would have dragged this bullshit on for years but with an eventual brexit anyway. I'm not happy about it but at the same time, people need to see the consequences of their political decisions - for good and bad. From the politicians all the way through to the media, brexit has been an utter disgrace and people have been accepting of the lies and the bullshit. This is a democracy and the electorate have to take responsibility for, and accept consequences of, their political decisions. Been clear for some time England intend to see this all the way to the bitter end before they'll maybe realise how they've been played.

Doesn't have to be this way in Scotland and campaign for another indyref will no doubt gather pace especially once brexit is triggered in a few months. Still choppy waters ahead - Salmond trial next year and if we need to go into 2021 election, SNP have a pretty tough job on their hands given the public perception of devolved Education and Health briefs. If Tories had any sense, they'd support a snap indyref because I genuinely think it would be very tight if held soon. However, they refuse indyref all the way through to 2021 and it makes that election easier for SNP who will make it into a referendum debate.

The longer Tories/Scottish Labour refuse a referendum the better it is for Yes IMO. The Wings mob want it tomorrow and that's a mistake. The target should still be getting Yes into the 60s and that's still some way away if you ask me.