Scottish player transfers - Page 203 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

If the speculation linking declaration rice with man utd is true. I'd like to see Mctominay get out of old Trafford 

Have read he could be used as a part swap in that deal which wouldn’t be a bad move for him at all

56 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Have read he could be used as a part swap in that deal which wouldn’t be a bad move for him at all

There's a bidding war going on with Arsenal having to raise the stakes and Man United being interested. When Rice goes  West Ham should have plenty of money in the bank.

11 minutes ago, syecosse said:

I cannot remember but how was Rodgers with playing Scot youngsters? As I see another Celtic youngster Letsosa is off to Belgium along with Ferns who joined Brighton.

There was an argument at the time that the upturn in Strachan's results as international manager was due to him finally playing all the Scottish Celts that Rodgers was getting the best out of e.g Griffiths, Brown, McGregor, Armstrong, Tierney, Forrest, Gordon, and, to a lesser extent, GMS.

Rodgers also signed Morgan and Hendry. Possibly others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Not sure if Rodgers cared that much about giving Scots a chance, or just made the most of what was at his disposal. 

4 hours ago, syecosse said:

I cannot remember but how was Rodgers with playing Scot youngsters? As I see another Celtic youngster Letsosa is off to Belgium along with Ferns who joined Brighton.

I think tierney was the only young scot he played but i am pretty sure the form of guys like armstrong and forrest went up under him.

Unless he buys or promotes scottish players then mcgregor and taylor will probably be the only ones who play regulary under him and mcgregors already excellent for scotland and taylor doesnt get a game for us.

I cant see rodgers making much a difference(to scotland) this time round but if he does then great.

Rodgers played a lot of Scots in his first 11.

Whether that is because he believed in home grown talent or they just happened to all be there and good enough is up for question.

Be interesting to see what he does this season. Turnbull couldl be one to watch....

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think tierney was the only young scot he played but i am pretty sure the form of guys like armstrong and forrest went up under him.

Unless he buys or promotes scottish players then mcgregor and taylor will probably be the only ones who play regulary under him and mcgregors already excellent for scotland and taylor doesnt get a game for us.

I cant see rodgers making much a difference(to scotland) this time round but if he does then great.

I agree. The onlyy interesting thing would be if he buys Scots and integrates them into the team. I cannot see it though.

Doubt Rodgers will be interested in developing his own players. Didn’t do it at Leicester. Dewsbury-Hall made his debut when he was 23 and think that was the only “youth” player he took through in about 4/5 years there.

Like all old firm managers he will follow the mantra of must win even when playing St Mirren at home when you’ve already won the league & wont give two hoots about playing any young Scots when you can sign someone from South Korea for £3M instead. 

37 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Jack Hendry being linked with Sheff.Utd and Burnley.

Stephen Welsh with Verona and Bologna. 

Really hope Welsh leaves. Seems to have something about him but can't see him progressing at Celtic even with Rodgers taking over.

3 hours ago, csinclair said:

Really hope Welsh leaves. Seems to have something about him but can't see him progressing at Celtic even with Rodgers taking over.

With a lot of positions becoming stronger for Scotland, I have always felt that Welsh, Ralston and Turnbull need to find some better moves for gametime otherwise will only likely ever cover injuries unless Rodgers does plan on playing them, but with a rumour of a large budget it could be them falling further down the line. 

4 minutes ago, syecosse said:

With a lot of positions becoming stronger for Scotland, I have always felt that Welsh, Ralston and Turnbull need to find some better moves for gametime otherwise will only likely ever cover injuries unless Rodgers does plan on playing them, but with a rumour of a large budget it could be them falling further down the line. 

I wouldn’t say any of those three are better (or anywhere near as good quite frankly) than the players who currently play in their positions for Scotland so I doubt it would make much of a difference to us if they left Celtic. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I wouldn’t say any of those three are better (or anywhere near as good quite frankly) than the players who currently play in their positions for Scotland so I doubt it would make much of a difference to us if they left Celtic. 

I'd say Turnbull has a lot of potential and is still only 23. Just needs to find somewhere better than Celtic's bench for his development

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Of course they aren't as good as the players in their positions, a couple of injuries and you need your 3rd best to have developed to their full ability

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

I'd say Turnbull has a lot of potential and is still only 23. Just needs to find somewhere better than Celtic's bench for his development

Can’t say I have ever been particularly impressed when I’ve seen him play. Didn’t realise he was that young though so yeah still time for him to improve. 

27 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Of course they aren't as good as the players in their positions, a couple of injuries and you need your 3rd best to have developed to their full ability

I’d say we would need to have several injuries in the relevant positions for Welsh and Turnbull to be considered, even if they get a move away from Celtic. 

On 6/23/2023 at 7:45 PM, syecosse said:

Here is a transfer move between clubs I never thought I would say,  arrived Hepburn has joined Queens Park feom Bayern Munich on loan, he did sign a new 2 year deal.

Ronan Ferns completed his move to Brighton also feom Celtic.

Is this one of these high hope ones looking a bit ominous now and step back (quite significantly)Reading he’s 19, would have thought a club higher up would be wanting to take him or is that not how it works. 

4 hours ago, csinclair said:

Agreed.  His stats, particularly his goals and assists, during his last season at Motherwell and first couple of seasons for Celtic were very impressive indeed.  He clearly didn't fit the style Ange had Celtic playing but he still has plenty of time to reach his potential.  Whether he'll do better under Rodgers will be interesting to see.