You'll never recover. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

You'll never recover.

GaryWood34

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with all that's been said about the 2nd goal on Saturday. Never experienced an eruption quite like that before. I ended up about 10 yards from my seat. My legs are coated in bruises from the melee too :lol: 

Unreal. Not something i'll ever forget. 

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Same here mate. And don't let anyone say Hampden can't create an atmosphere. When it roars, it sure as fcuk roars. Give me it over a 3 tier Wembley or Aviva any day.

Spot on.

Think it was Martin who was banging on about Ibrox or Parkhead. These guys haven't a clue. When the players show fight it creates an incredible atmosphere at Hampden. 

29 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

Cried twice at football.

1. When Morrison opened the scoring at Wembley

2. When the ball hit the net on Saturday to make it 2-1. Bubbled.

Soon stopped when they scored.

You cried at a friendly?! I take it you don't support a club side?

No tears but the atmosphere was at times reminiscent of the 70s. At one point in 2nd half England were penned in on their corner flag in front of the North stand and it was just an insane volume. The passion was a living entity.

2nd goal, to me, easily surpassed Ukraine/Italy/France and was the closest I have experienced since the stour-pit rangers end of the 70s/80s.

On another point I did wonder what those watching across the world thought of Do-a-deer,..

I've witnessed a good few important goals at Hampden in my time, I didn't think anything would beat the noise, chaos and emotion that happened after Ferguson scored against Italy but that 2nd goal exceeded it.

I know Hampden gets a bad rep, but it can generate an unbelievable atmosphere if the circumstances are right. Lost count of the number of folk who have been to big Scotland games and came away surprised at how good the atmosphere was considering all the stories they have heard.

Fair play to the boy a couple of rows in front of me in B8 who kept trying to get the Icelandic chant going. Not sure if it was him that finally got it going but he must have been delighted when it finally did start :lol:

What a riot that second half was. I think there were points we were going mental just for England getting pinned in and conceding throw ins. The noise was unreal. 

And well that second goal will never be forgotten. How I didnt rupture my knee again or tear a hamstring tendon i'll never know :lol:

51 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You cried at a friendly?! I take it you don't support a club side?

I do - Just don't feel that deep a connection with my club as I do to my national team.

The crying at the 'friendly' was 50% down to it being my first Scotland v England match and 50% down to the 15 hours of boozing before the match.

I will never class England v Scotland as a friendly though.

Edited by GaryWood34

From a 65 Year Old who has seen more than his fair share of Scots failures. The point about Wedding Days, babies etc is they are Lassies business...Football, or more precisely The Sottish National Team, is (or certainly was in my day) far more important than life itself, I've died a thousand times travelling back from heroic failure. But still, if it were a choice between the wife's funeral or a friendly away to Outer Mongolia, no contest...I'd probably hold a minute silence for her (more than she's ever given me mind).

The feeling when the 2nd went in was as good as I can remember..moments later..shite. The stupid thing is that even if we had won we still probably wouldn't have qualified, it wouldn't have harmed the Sassies too much either. Life as a Scotsman is cruel...but we always bounce back...Let's look forward to stuffing Malta by the odd goal later in the year.

The equaliser was annoying but I've had much much lower moments watching football. 

The celebrations for the 2nd were definitely the best I've been involved in though. Was in Paris for faddy and all the home games in that 07 campaign but Saturday pissed on all of it.

Yesterday I was annoyed we never got the win but today, after watching the goals and the celebrations about 100 times, I'm just grateful I was there to be part of it.

Football at its absolute best. 

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

Agree with all that's been said about the 2nd goal on Saturday. Never experienced an eruption quite like that before. I ended up about 10 yards from my seat. My legs are coated in bruises from the melee too :lol: 

I've bruises on my calf and thigh and a scrape at back of my knee, none of which I noticed until today. All of that was from first goal.

Second goal, and this is gonna sound g@y as , me and a mate are still hugging from first goal, he gets the free kick, we are standing there and both are going to each other "Put it to the left this time, put it to the left"....and the whole place went mental and we were just standing there hugging in the carnage. Told my wife on Sunday, she gave me a weird look. She doesn't get football.

A wee example of the effect this game had on Scotland, I came into work this morning, work with 5 burds round my team from about 30 to mid 50s, only 1 likes football....every one of them had a story about the goals on Saturday, were watching. The oldest, who know nothing asked her man why Griffiths was taking the "penalty" from there and screamed her Heid off when he scored!

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

Good thing you're rubbish at boycotting or you'd have missed it all :spin:

1 hour ago, RobRoy69 said:

From a 65 Year Old who has seen more than his fair share of Scots failures. The point about Wedding Days, babies etc is they are Lassies business...Football, or more precisely The Sottish National Team, is (or certainly was in my day) far more important than life itself, I've died a thousand times travelling back from heroic failure. But still, if it were a choice between the wife's funeral or a friendly away to Outer Mongolia, no contest...I'd probably hold a minute silence for her (more than she's ever given me mind).

The feeling when the 2nd went in was as good as I can remember..moments later..shite. The stupid thing is that even if we had won we still probably wouldn't have qualified, it wouldn't have harmed the Sassies too much either. Life as a Scotsman is cruel...but we always bounce back...Let's look forward to stuffing Malta by the odd goal later in the year.

This is a fantastic post.

14 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

That was the happiest you'll ever be. When that 2nd free kick hit the net. That was it. That was the pinnacle of your life. The best you will ever feel.

Maybe you think that's not correct, maybe you think that the day your baby is born or your wedding day will provide a happier moment - they won't. Both of those events are planned and expected. That goal wasn't. It was a shock. The best shock. 

You wont recover.

That equaliser is the saddest you'll ever feel. When that ball hit the net is the lowest point of your life. The worse you'll ever feel.

Maybe you think that's not correct. Maybe you think there are sadder moments. A death perhaps, let's say your uncle died. Death is expected. Maybe not straight away but it will happen and we all know this. That England goal didn't need to happen.

Youll won't recover.

Wembley 1977 best ever for me, especially after having been at the the 1975 drubbing. Forty 'King years ago FFS. 

We WILL recover - we always do - and the worst may be yet to come. Being the worst group runner up perhaps or getting Spain, Italy or France in the play offs. Anybody will be hard but I am still very fearful of Lithuania away and realism will have gripped me by then. 

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Talking to Scott Brown today he never heard it either. Pretty focused me and Scotty

I heard it on tv although it didn't sound like the whole ground singing.

If you mean THE Scott Brown he was probably too busy getting an earful from the ref. :lol:

Was right up there.

before this season I hated hampden but in the space of 2 weeks I've got absolutely mental thanks to late goals. Falling over seats lying on my back close to tears.

me and another boy were about greeting leaving the ground though. Him more so than me I must add! 

My cousin was over from Australia for this game.
He was born in Scotland - but grew up over there.
Attending an "auld enemy" game was one of his life ambitions.

2nd goal going in was something neither of us will ever forget.
Magic moment : despite the equalizer. will keep me supporting Scotland forever more.

Just thinking about the second goal is giving me goose bumps.and one of the best sights you will see is of all them w@nkers just stood with looks of disbelief on their faces just a shit san marino tossers