Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 21 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

I smiled when Dave Davies said the UK wouldn't pay the EU a penny beyond what it legally owed.

Contrast with 2014 - the UK media were up in arms when Alex Salmond suggested "share of assets for share of debt".
Legally all of the UK debt belonged to and was also underwritten by UK government.  Morally Scotland would likely have taken a share. 
However if Dave Davies brexit stance was applied to independent Scotland then we wouldn't owe a penny :-)

The Treasury statement said the UK government would "in all circumstances honour" the terms of all its debts agreed before the referendum, regardless of whether it and a future Scottish government reached a deal on how to repay Scotland's share.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/13/treasury-uk-debts-scottish-referendum

Sky news scrolling headline : :Theresa May accuses EU politicians of deliberately trying to affect the UK GE result through threats. 

Whilst at same time, in the background, the latest Tory advert blasting Labour.  A humoungous billboard displaying a large bomb saying 'no bombs for our army, one big bombshell for YOUR family. '

Shakes head. 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

We will fight them on the beaches ....

National Service

Conscription

The military would go mental if there was even a whiff....

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Anyone noticed the way the Brexit debate is peppered with references by Brexiteers to 1940 and that sort of stuff?  

No

If not for the blood sacrifice of the British, Juncker would be speaking German today. Show some respect, you puffed-up political pygmy.

Remoaners are the rich. This is the Battle of Britain without the aerial fighting. Can't wait to vote for Brexit again!

The battle of #Brexit is like the Battle of Britain for my generation. There are no limits to how much time and money I will commit to it.

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

If not for the blood sacrifice of the British, Juncker would be speaking German today. Show some respect, you puffed-up political pygmy.

Remoaners are the rich. This is the Battle of Britain without the aerial fighting. Can't wait to vote for Brexit again!

The battle of #Brexit is like the Battle of Britain for my generation. There are no limits to how much time and money I will commit to it.

The irony here is that he shares the same name as the company who made the Stuka Dive Bomber :lol:

On 5/3/2017 at 10:30 AM, Haggis_trap said:

I smiled when Dave Davies said the UK wouldn't pay the EU a penny beyond what it legally owed.

Contrast with 2014 - the UK media were up in arms when Alex Salmond suggested "share of assets for share of debt".
Legally all of the UK debt belonged to and was also underwritten by UK government.  Morally Scotland would likely have taken a share. 
However if Dave Davies brexit stance was applied to independent Scotland then we wouldn't owe a penny :-)

The Treasury statement said the UK government would "in all circumstances honour" the terms of all its debts agreed before the referendum, regardless of whether it and a future Scottish government reached a deal on how to repay Scotland's share.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/13/treasury-uk-debts-scottish-referendum

Does anyone understand the facts on this?  Davies has said we'll pay what's legally owed but not just whatever the EU wants.

What's the rights and wrongs of this?  What does the 80-100bn cover?  Think the reporting of this has been extremely poor.

Maybe i am being dramatic but the snp are heading for a epic thumping in moray and aberdeenshire,, I was talking to a local councillor today who has been elected for over 30 years, he thinks that will be him gone after today, he's saying that he is getting the same reaction towards the snp which labour had after the Referendum,,,another conversation i had was with a long time snp supporter who says he will vote snp in the locals but no way will he vote snp on the GE as "sturgeon".. i wish this election was over so we know where we stand,,time to regroup and move forward 

31 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Maybe i am being dramatic but the snp are heading for a epic thumping in moray and aberdeenshire,, I was talking to a local councillor today who has been elected for over 30 years, he thinks that will be him gone after today, he's saying that he is getting the same reaction towards the snp which labour had after the Referendum,,,another conversation i had was with a long time snp supporter who says he will vote snp in the locals but no way will he vote snp on the GE as "sturgeon".. i wish this election was over so we know where we stand,,time to regroup and move forward 

Mmmmm..

39 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

That area is ripe for mind altering Yoonery

1 - Moray Council is ALREADY Tory/Independent run

2 - RAF Bases

3 - Fishing - Fishermen still believing to their own self harm that the SNP is the enemy

Frankly i'd be more surprised if the SNP won it - especially now it's merged with Yoonsville Aberdeen

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, aaid said:

Trade, the EU sells more goods and services  to the UK than the UK sells to the EU, about £60bn a year.
However, its not as simple as all that.

UK exports to the EU are worth about 13-15% of the UK economy whereas exports from the rest of the EU to the UK is only worth about 3-4% of their economy.

So while in £-terms, trade would seem to be more important to the EU than the UK, a bad trade deal - or no trade deal - would be more damaging to the UK rather than the EU economy.

How come these glaringly obvious figures are not used everytime the guff about trading with the EU is mentioned , 4 % of the EU economy ? Christ I am sure the EU are Crapping themselves  

52 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

That area is ripe for mind altering Yoonery

1 - Moray Council is ALREADY Tory/Independent run

2 - RAF Bases

3 - Fishing - Fishermen still believing to their own self harm that the SNP is the enemy

Frankly i'd be more surprised if the SNP won it - especially now it's merged with Yoonsville Aberdeen

its not so much the seats itself that are the important thing its the fact that especially moray and BnB are regarded as snp strong holds, the moral boost it would give to the unionists would be invaluable,, especially with banff and buchan such a pro independence area,iv never wanted to be proven wrong so much in my entire life,,, bllody brexit has fckd everything up

12 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

its not so much the seats itself that are the important thing its the fact that especially moray and BnB are regarded as snp strong holds, the moral boost it would give to the unionists would be invaluable,, especially with banff and buchan such a pro independence area,iv never wanted to be proven wrong so much in my entire life,,, bllody brexit has fckd everything up

The SNP has changed.  They're basically Labour that support independence.

The strongholds have swapped.

Davies seems to be speaking about the legality of the situation.

If the EU didn’t copper-fasten every reasonable eventuality in a legal contract beforehand because they didn’t believe any Country would leave; then they have been foolish.

There is no evidence that the EU has done this and if not, they don’t really have a leg to stand on hence:

“Davies has said we'll pay what's legally owed but not just whatever the EU wants”.

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

And it can't be that much of a stronghold if the Tories already run the Cooncil ......

TBF, its very much an Independent-Tory coalition.  There are 10 Independent councillors and only 3 Tories.  

I'll bow to the knowledge of someone who actually lives there as to what the Independents are like.

Based on the number of seats won, if they were a party, Independents would have been the third biggest party in 2012 behind the SNP and Labour.

24 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

£20 bet to TASA that the SNP hold B&B next month? 

3 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

The SNP has changed.  They're basically Labour that support independence.

The strongholds have swapped.

But at the end of the day I suppose it depends how you feel about independence. If you are all for independence then you'll vote for SNP or Greens. If you in no way want independence then vote Tory, Labour or LibDem as, if they ever get back into power independence will definitely not be in their mandate...ever.

21 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Although SNP strongholds Moray had one of the highest No votes. Not sure about BnB. Were they ever really strongholds or were they popular as an anti establishment party but now the SNP will be viewed as the establishment.

Will be gutted if both seats were lost as I have a high opinion of both MPs but in the bigger picture they are only 2 seats. If the SNP were to get less than 45 seats in the General Election then people should be very worried but anything above that is a success. The heights of 50+ MPs were always going to be a one off.