Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 16 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

With all these call offs (and Farron not wanting to answer any more bum sex questions) it's almost certain to be the Willie Rennie show

Imagine the UK leaders' debate ended up being between Sturgeon, Davidson, Rennie and Dugdale!

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

In Oct 74 they got 25%. Thatcher got 31% in 1979, but that was before most folk realised what an evil witch she was. But even in her last election in 1987 she got 24% of the vote in Scotland. 

Aye Maggie picked up a lot of the female vote initially anyway.

I was thinking more of the Scottish Unionists back in the 50s and 60s enjoying the levels of support that the SNP get now.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Agreed I think I'm reliving some of my teenage years with Trump instead of Reagan and May instead of Thatcher.  Only this time round the music's not as good!

Or the fitba :( 

Edited by Toepoke

If heard right that was the R4 Today programme headlining with Boris attack on Corbyn, then doing a paper review in which... Boris attacks Corbyn. Whatever next? - a feature on the resurgence of the Tories in Scotland?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-hunt-warns-therell-less-10296912

Pretty sickening that the likes of Jeremy Hunt can use the threat of Brexit to scaremonger people into voting Tory to save the NHS. (Where is John 'python' Major when you need him?)

If he can get away with that, then the whole election may as well boil down to "Vote Britain <=> Vote Tory"

Edited by exile

I must say Alex Salmond is the king of 'Foot in the Mouth' comments.

Last referendum he needlessly repeated that the referendum was a 'once in a lifetime' chance and the SNP and independence-backers are continually reminded of that now. His latest faux pas is saying the general election is a vote on indyref2. Just why? Nicola has been trying to avoid such talk and you know now that if the SNP lose even a handful of seats then the media will pounce and paint it as a big no to a second referendum. Wish Salmond would keep his big gob shut at times.

Guest BlueGaz
14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Last referendum he needlessly repeated that the referendum was a 'once in a lifetime' chance and the SNP and independence-backers are continually reminded of that now. His latest faux pas is saying the general election is a vote on indyref2. Just why? Nicola has been trying to avoid such talk and you know now that if the SNP lose even a handful of seats then the media will pounce and paint it as a big no to a second referendum. Wish Salmond would keep his big gob shut at times.

You are missing an important point though Craig.  Obviously, we have to / want to vote for what we believe in, but most politicians are full of shite.

1 minute ago, BlueGaz said:

You are missing an important point though Craig.  Obviously, we have to / want to vote for what we believe in, but most politicians are full of shite.

My point is though that he is providing the media and opposition parties with a stick to beat independence and SNP with for no decent reason.

27 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think this vote largely is a vote on the issue of the right to hold a referendum on that subject, rather than per se about the issue itself.  No getting round that.  We can't pretend it's not because we have sneaky feeling the SNP will lose votes.

It's up to our own people.  If we want it, our people will vote for the SNP in this election.  I might not like the result but it'll be real reflection of what our nation thinks.

Everyone keeps telling us the SNP/Yes vote will hold up.  Let's hope so.  It's a challenge that has to be met square on.  We're either on the brink of independence or not.  It's only the Scottish electorate that will decide that.  

3 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I think this vote largely is a vote on the issue of the right to hold a referendum on that subject, rather than per se about the issue itself.  No getting round that.  We can't pretend it's not because we have sneaky feeling the SNP will lose votes.

It's up to our own people.  If we want it, our people will vote for the SNP in this election.  I might not like the result but it'll be real reflection of what our nation thinks.

Everyone keeps telling us the SNP/Yes vote will hold up.  Let's hope so.  It's a challenge that has to be met square on.  We're either on the brink of independence or not.  It's only the Scottish electorate that will decide that.  

I just feel it stokes the fires for the opposition though. It allows the unionist parties to (wrongly) say that the SNP twist everything to independence when Nicola et al have tried avoiding that. Looking at the local election leaflets I received never touted anything about a referendum in the SNP leaflet so they are trying to avoid the issue but Salmond's comments undoes all that. Also it just further rallies yoons to band together even more.. I just see no point of it apart from ensuring independence-backers turn out and vote in force I suppose.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

54 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

52 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

My point is though that he is providing the media and opposition parties with a stick to beat independence and SNP with for no decent reason.

33 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I just feel it stokes the fires for the opposition though. It allows the unionist parties to (wrongly) say that the SNP twist everything to independence when Nicola et al have tried avoiding that. Looking at the local election leaflets I received never touted anything about a referendum in the SNP leaflet so they are trying to avoid the issue but Salmond's comments undoes all that. Also it just further rallies yoons to band together even more.. I just see no point of it apart from ensuring independence-backers turn out and vote in force I suppose.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/love-is-a-stranger-in-an-open-car/

When can we expect seat by seat polling to be carried out, if at all?  I think I remember one for the 2015 GE.The conservatives have put up a relatively unknown for banff and buchan which to me kinda gives the impression that they are willing to let the area go.If a local figure such as jimmy bachan ran we would have lost the area, its made me a little more optimistic 

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

When can we expect seat by seat polling to be carried out, if at all?  I think I remember one for the 2015 GE.The conservatives have put up a relatively unknown for banff and buchan which to me kinda gives the impression that they are willing to let the area go.If a local figure such as jimmy bachan ran we would have lost the area, its made me a little more optimistic 

I doubt that will happen.  They were commissioned by Lord Ashcroft, they weren't done in all constituencies and were only done because of the likelihood that the SNP would make major advances in Scotland.  From what I remember it was all the "big-hitters" constituencies they polled, eg. Murphy, the Alexander brothers, Curren, etc.

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

ach i know, it's tough.  

It will stoke their fire but the Unionists are going to fight tooth and nail anyway and they're anything close to half the population.  If we're on the brink of indy then we can't be frightened talking about it.  We need to meet them square on.  If the vote can't galvanise around the idea of even just being allowed to exercise a choice on the matter then the idea of having a vote in 2 years was a flawed one.  But Brexit happened and there had to be a response.  It may have been better to hang off 5 years or so but Sturgeon fired the gun.  I think Salmond is playing the game as it is now.  So if we're in the dog fight  that's where we are and we have tell it exactly as it is.  There's no manipulating what the GE vote means now. Everyone in Scotland knows what it's about.

Regards the local elections, I totally agree.  it should be about local issues.  But the GE is a different kettle of fish!

17 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

ach i know, it's tough.  

It will stoke their fire but the Unionists are going to fight tooth and nail anyway and they're anything close to half the population.  If we're on the brink of indy then we can't be frightened talking about it.  We need to meet them square on.  If the vote can't galvanise around the idea of even just being allowed to exercise a choice on the matter then the idea of having a vote in 2 years was a flawed one.  But Brexit happened and there had to be a response.  It may have been better to hang off 5 years or so but Sturgeon fired the gun.  I think Salmond is playing the game as it is now.  So if we're in the dog fight  that's where we are and we have tell it exactly as it is.  There's no manipulating what the GE vote means now. Everyone in Scotland knows what it's about.

Regards the local elections, I totally agree.  it should be about local issues.  But the GE is a different kettle of fish!

There's two big reasons why the Tories want to make the GE and council elections all about independence.  First of all it means that they don't have to defend the record of the UK government, secondly it means they don't have to come up with any actual policies.   

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I doubt that will happen.  They were commissioned by Lord Ashcroft, they weren't done in all constituencies and were only done because of the likelihood that the SNP would make major advances in Scotland.  From what I remember it was all the "big-hitters" constituencies they polled, eg. Murphy, the Alexander brothers, Curren, etc.

Caithness is one to look out for,, not sure exactly whats going on up there but they seem very unsettled by all accounts 

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Which "they" do you mean? Have the LibDims elected a candidate yet?

They as in the general public, yes i am generalising,, and yes its through social media so it can gives a false sense of feelings,, iv followed paul monaghan on social media for a while now and it seems that many aret happy RE maternity hospital,, supposedly it was a very close result with brexit which will not help

10 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

They as in the general public, yes i am generalising,, and yes its through social media so it can gives a false sense of feelings,, iv followed paul monaghan on social media for a while now and it seems that many aret happy RE maternity hospital,, supposedly it was a very close result with brexit which will not help

He's got a majority of almost 4000. The Posh Lib Dim geezer has gone back to the House of Lords, so I assume he won't be standing? I don't know if the Lib Dims have got anybody of any substance to stand. Labour and The Rape Clause Party have got no chance. Dinae worry aboot it, min.

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

He's got a majority of almost 4000. The Posh Lib Dim geezer has gone back to the House of Lords, so I assume he won't be standing? I don't know if the Lib Dims have got anybody of any substance to stand. Labour and The Rape Clause Party have got no chance. Dinae worry aboot it, min.

Its not been confirmed who's standing as yet, hopefully the unionist vote splits evenly up there. Maybe this rape clause uproar will have a bigger bearing in this election than we think.If either libdems or Labour had any intention of giving the conservatives a free run or stand a week candidate in any seat surely this will have gave them second thought. 

16 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Its not been confirmed who's standing as yet, hopefully the unionist vote splits evenly up there. Maybe this rape clause uproar will have a bigger bearing in this election than we think.If either libdems or Labour had any intention of giving the conservatives a free run or stand a week candidate in any seat surely this will have gave them second thought. 

The Rape Clause Party only got about 2000 votes last time round. They have no chance up there. Lib Dims are the only threat. And don't forget, they want another EU referendum.

Edited by Orraloon

I see Theresa May was at another factory today which provided the opportunity for her to show again that she's learnt all her lines from Lynton Crosby. I've never seen a candidate for the job of Prime Minister come out with as much repeated guff as she has over the last few weeks, in fact, ever since she got into office it's been nothing but sound bites and buzz words. 

Do we think that she will provide us with any detail on proposed Tory policies in the up coming weeks, or indeed whether there will be even the slightest bit of scrutiny from the media?

5 minutes ago, Mox said:

Do we think that she will provide us with any detail on proposed Tory policies in the up coming weeks, or indeed whether there will be even the slightest bit of scrutiny from the media?

Not a hope in hell.