Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 92 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

20 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

To answer both at the same time... the truth is, I don't know what's going on with the retail deal though I suspect at present, not very much. For obvious reasons, RFC are unable to discuss the contractual details in the public domain so the status quo is maintained at present pending the next court case. We have served notice of our intention to cancel the contract so the 7 years notice period has kicked in but that’s hardly going to make any difference to our P/L accounts any time soon. What I would say is that we are trading whilst fully conversant of this contract so it ‘merely’ restricts our budgets. We aren’t trading on the basis of an enhanced income any time soon.

It is certainly not a sustainable business model but it falls under the “speculate to accumulate” risk that I noted above and the business plan will be devised on the basis that 2nd place and European football is a minimum requirement (the latter more important than the former, most likely, given the difference in potential financial benefits). I suspect season ticket prices will increase again (5-10% or thereby probably) and revenue streams will increase if this season’s targets are met.

The daylight I see is that we are on track (albeit far from certain) of achieving the European football that we require to enhance profitability (or loss mitigation) for the coming seasons. This season was always going to be transitional in our first season back in the Premiership. Come back to me this time next year and I’ll let you know if I’m still satisfied though…

one point wolfy - how do you see the FFP rules affecting your Europa chances? do you think the board would very quickly find a way of converting some of the loans to equity to avoid?

1 minute ago, ShedTA said:

still a few million for a club rangers size though if they get a number of games.

Indeed.  3 home games (if we were to get to the third qualifying round) at 40 quid a ticket x an average 40,000 fans is £4.8M in the bank before costs.  If we get to the playoff round that's another £3.2M before any prize money is factored in.  All of that is speculation of course as we could just as easily get pumped out in the first round (or not qualify of course!!)

1 minute ago, ShedTA said:

one point wolfy - how do you see the FFP rules affecting your Europa chances? do you think the board would very quickly find a way of converting some of the loans to equity to avoid?

I would hope they next AGM would allow that to happen.  They narrowly lost out on the share issue vote last time round which would have allowed those that are providing the current soft loans (King, Gilligan etc) to convert to equity.  There were some high profile shareholders who didn't vote that time round (McCoist) who if they had went with the board would have swayed the vote so I'd like to think work has been going on behind the scenes to get them onside.

44 minutes ago, Debian said:

Dundalk earned around £6.5m for reaching the Europa League Group Stages.  

Rangers would need to win 4 games to reach the group stage.

(I'd hazard a guess that figure is boosted as they got to the play off round of the champions league, but may be wrong.)

9 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Rangers would need to win 4 games to reach the group stage.

Indeed and the 3rd of those games in Aberdeen's case have been vs Real Sociedad, Kairat Almaty and Maribor. 

All teams with bigger budgets than ever team in Scotland, except Celtic. 

1 hour ago, Debian said:

Dundalk earned around £6.5m for reaching the Europa League Group Stages.  

Dundalk earned 2.6 million euros  for reaching the Europa League group stages like all other teams, they earned the rest from when they reached the play off round for the champions league 

4 hours ago, ShedTA said:

I don't see us being denied entry but that's based more on hope and precedence than anything else!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 10:41 PM, Debian said:

Peter Pawlett signs a pre contract with MK Dons

Confirmed by AFC this morning.

I'm ambivalent about this one. He used to be a really important player for us but he's reduced in importance and stagnated. Hopefully the move and regular first team football will help him develop in to the player i think he can be. 

Best of luck to him. 

Disappointed that Pawlett's away. With McGinn almost certain to leave, thought Pawlett could fill that gap and become a regular again next season and beyond.

His best years are ahead of him - good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen an online rumour linking Rangers with Darren Fletcher for next season. 

Can't see it,  as he must be on a very healthy wage at West Brom,  but he'd certainly be a major improvement for us if we did manage to get him. 

Guest BlueGaz
10 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Just seen an online rumour linking Rangers with Darren Fletcher for next season. 

Can't see it,  as he must be on a very healthy wage at West Brom,  but he'd certainly be a major improvement for us if we did manage to get him. 

Could do well with concentrating closer to home for next season.  There are plenty good players that could come in to help move us forward from the summer, hopefully with a decent run in Europe to get in a few pennies.

25 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Just seen a delusional rumour linking Rangers with Darren Fletcher for next season. 

Fixed that for you. 

Edited by Parklife

Guest BlueGaz
44 minutes ago, phart said:

Darren Fletcher is a top professional a lot of players could learn things from him.

Agree, but how much would he cost do you think at this stage of his career?  More than we should be paying considering where we are.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I'd imagine West Brom would be quite keen to exercise the 12 month option on his contract when it runs out in the summer....

Also based on http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk i'd like to exclusively reveal two more deals expected to happen this summer.

Rangers are said to be in talks with Charlie Adam and Phil Bardsley on a possible return to the SPFL Giants. Both players are out of contract in the summer and sources close to the players understand they are keen to finish their careers in Scotland.