Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 91 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

12 minutes ago, black'n'tan said:

Tope = hopeless !

Nicholl's just gonna be a Donkey, sinking feeling before even see him play  !

He's gotta be, otherwise his career would've taken him higher than Exeter by the time he's 29, and he can't get in the Barnet team.  

Shudder. 

In fact, this signing makes Aberdeen's short term loan of Ryan Christie seem truly inspired. 

Edited by adamntg

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

That's the one.

His 2nd spell not as good as his 1st, but a really likeable wee player, runs his socks off.

Scored a few good goals, but if you watch this video of Michael Higdons goal, you'll see how many he was involved in...

Works hard but is shite at fitbaw would be an accurate description. On his 12th different club and, if you remove his spells at 'Well, has scored less than 10 goals in over 100 games. 

It's like Dundee want to get dragged in to a relegation battle. 

10 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Do you think Celtic are looking at £34m disappearing over the horizon and wondering if they've just made a terrible mistake?

Was there ever actually a bid? Everything I saw was that "Chelsea were considering a bid of £Xm." With Craig Gordon there was acutally reports of bids being made and rejected. The Chelsea manager is also denying any interest and says it was all speculation. But in this game of he says she says who knows what to believe.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Works hard but is shite at fitbaw would be an accurate description. On his 12th different club and, if you remove his spells at 'Well, has scored less than 10 goals in over 100 games. 

It's like Dundee want to get dragged in to a relegation battle. 

But he did do a job in this league, admittedly in a better side.

If he's fit he'll have a positive impact at Dens.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

But he did do a job in this league, admittedly in a better side.

If he's fit he'll have a positive impact at Dens.

This is the highest level he's played at. Maybe things just fell in to place for him during his first spell, maybe he hit good form, maybe he worked well with Higdon. 

I'll stick to my opinion that he's utter crap though. 

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

This is the highest level he's played at. 

Maybe things just fell in to place for him during his first spell, maybe he hit good form, maybe he worked well with Higdon. 

I'll stick to my opinion that he's utter crap though. 

He's played in the Eredivisie this season, the polish and europa leagues for Legia Warsaw, got 25 caps...

Agree with the middle statement.

I'll respectfully disagree.

13 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

He's played in the Eredivisie this season, the polish and europa leagues for Legia Warsaw, got 25 caps...

Agree with the middle statement.

I'll respectfully disagree.

Apologies, i see Go Ahead Eagles got promoted last season. I assumed they were still in the league below. 

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, Parklife said:

:lol: 

Rangers who're running at a massive loss? 

I suggest Rangers will be more interested in bridging the gap to Aberdeen first. 

agreed and king is not intending to put any money in, that's clear. I just don't see the daylight for them at the moment.

13 hours ago, adamntg said:

He's gotta be, otherwise his career would've taken him higher than Exeter by the time he's 29, and he can't get in the Barnet team.  

Shudder. 

In fact, this signing makes Aberdeen's short term loan of Ryan Christie seem truly inspired. 

rumours on twitter that ciftci was available for just £1000 a week towards his wages, was poss going to motherwell.  not sure if true or whether he would have contemplated coming to us, but if so and we didn't bite then its not good. he would have definitely made a difference especially in that league.

18 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

agreed and king is not intending to put any money in, that's clear. I just don't see the daylight for them at the moment.

Phew!

For a moment there, I thought we were going to get through a transfer deadline day discussion without the usual Sheddy/King non-sequitur.

What does "daylight" mean, apart from the obvious?

Running at a loss is indisputable however a more appropriate time to question this would be at the end of next season to allow for the "speculate to accumulate" factor to bed in and hopefully offset the current losses by increased revenue streams (season tickets are not likely to significantly decrease, if at all; the TV deal is supposedly improving; we will receive enhanced end-of-season prize money; hopefully, some European revenue; and a continuation of the 'hot ball' home cup ties). The losses aren't spiralling out of control and are offset by shareholder loans which are to be converted to equity in due course. We also have some assets in the playing staff which we have opted to hold on to rather than cash in on. Indeed, the fact we insisted on a fee for Gilks rather than simply releasing him from his contract was a refreshing change.

Financially, we are far from a model club but we are not in the mire either, as your post states.

10 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Phew!

For a moment there, I thought we were going to get through a transfer deadline day discussion without the usual Sheddy/King non-sequitur.

Running at a loss is indisputable however a more appropriate time to question this would be at the end of next season to allow for the "speculate to accumulate" factor to bed in and hopefully offset the current losses by increased revenue streams (season tickets are not likely to significantly decrease, if at all; the TV deal is supposedly improving; we will receive enhanced end-of-season prize money; hopefully, some European revenue; and a continuation of the 'hot ball' home cup ties). The losses aren't spiralling out of control and are offset by shareholder loans which are to be converted to equity in due course. We also have some assets in the playing staff which we have opted to hold on to rather than cash in on. Indeed, the fact we insisted on a fee for Gilks rather than simply releasing him from his contract was a refreshing change.

Financially, we are far from a model club but we are not in the mire either, as your post states.

What's the latest with Mr Ashley? What's the chances of his merchandise deal being got out of? 

3 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Phew!

Wolfy I admire and respect your optimism. But what I mean is that your club is consistently running at significant loss with only soft loans keeping it going. That cant be a sustainable business model. The losses have been cut dramatically with a lot more prudence now being shown which has to happen - same as with my own club, but how does that sustain itself going forwards?

unless you have an endless supply of people ready to continue pumping their personal cash in then its not good. your season ticket sales are already at excellent levels and you increased prices last year, so where do you go with that to increase revenue.

your only hope is to address the retail deal and that doesn't look likely any time soon, so tell me where is the daylight? and before you launch into me, I have similar feelings about my own club at the moment. to me its only realistic thinking.

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What's the latest with Mr Ashley? What's the chances of his merchandise deal being got out of? 

1 minute ago, ShedTA said:

Wolfy I admire and respect your optimism. But what I mean is that your club is consistently running at significant loss with only soft loans keeping it going. That cant be a sustainable business model. The losses have been cut dramatically with a lot more prudence now being shown which has to happen - same as with my own club, but how does that sustain itself going forwards?

unless you have an endless supply of people ready to continue pumping their personal cash in then its not good. your season ticket sales are already at excellent levels and you increased prices last year, so where do you go with that to increase revenue.

your only hope is to address the retail deal and that doesn't look likely any time soon, so tell me where is the daylight? and before you launch into me, I have similar feelings about my own club at the moment. to me its only realistic thinking.

To answer both at the same time... the truth is, I don't know what's going on with the retail deal though I suspect at present, not very much. For obvious reasons, RFC are unable to discuss the contractual details in the public domain so the status quo is maintained at present pending the next court case. We have served notice of our intention to cancel the contract so the 7 years notice period has kicked in but that’s hardly going to make any difference to our P/L accounts any time soon. What I would say is that we are trading whilst fully conversant of this contract so it ‘merely’ restricts our budgets. We aren’t trading on the basis of an enhanced income any time soon.

It is certainly not a sustainable business model but it falls under the “speculate to accumulate” risk that I noted above and the business plan will be devised on the basis that 2nd place and European football is a minimum requirement (the latter more important than the former, most likely, given the difference in potential financial benefits). I suspect season ticket prices will increase again (5-10% or thereby probably) and revenue streams will increase if this season’s targets are met.

The daylight I see is that we are on track (albeit far from certain) of achieving the European football that we require to enhance profitability (or loss mitigation) for the coming seasons. This season was always going to be transitional in our first season back in the Premiership. Come back to me this time next year and I’ll let you know if I’m still satisfied though…

I'm not sure how much money there is to be made from the Europa League?

Reaching the group stage and perhaps getting at least 1 maybe 2 "glamour ties" is probably the best bet for a couple of full houses, but they'd need to beat a couple of decent sides just to get there.

Going to Albania on a Thursday night in July isn't where the money is.

7 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Reaching the group stage and perhaps getting at least 1 maybe 2 "glamour ties" is probably the best bet for a couple of full houses, but they'd need to beat a couple of decent sides just to get there.

Dundalk earned around £6.5m for reaching the Europa League Group Stages.  

14 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

To answer both at the same time... the truth is, I don't know what's going on with the retail deal though I suspect at present, not very much. For obvious reasons, RFC are unable to discuss the contractual details in the public domain so the status quo is maintained at present pending the next court case. We have served notice of our intention to cancel the contract so the 7 years notice period has kicked in but that’s hardly going to make any difference to our P/L accounts any time soon. What I would say is that we are trading whilst fully conversant of this contract so it ‘merely’ restricts our budgets. We aren’t trading on the basis of an enhanced income any time soon.

It is certainly not a sustainable business model but it falls under the “speculate to accumulate” risk that I noted above and the business plan will be devised on the basis that 2nd place and European football is a minimum requirement (the latter more important than the former, most likely, given the difference in potential financial benefits). I suspect season ticket prices will increase again (5-10% or thereby probably) and revenue streams will increase if this season’s targets are met.

The daylight I see is that we are on track (albeit far from certain) of achieving the European football that we require to enhance profitability (or loss mitigation) for the coming seasons. This season was always going to be transitional in our first season back in the Premiership. Come back to me this time next year and I’ll let you know if I’m still satisfied though…

yeh thats all a fair summary wolfy, fair enough. yes and only time will tell on a lot of this stuff. its the longer term stuff that is more difficult to see.

8 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

still a few million for a club rangers size though if they get a number of games.