Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 161 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

17 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

You're wrong about Naismith, just accept it. 

He's donated to a multitude of charities and still financially supports the boys club he played for. 

He seems to be a generous, decent guy and the venal attitude you are describing doesn't fit with that picture. 

Correct.....he helps out numerous charities both local to where he grew up and where he plays. He supports dyslexia Scotland too, as well as Stewarton Annick where he started out.

Langtonian just seems a miserable git that can't accept that not all footballers are tossers.

41 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

First read the story I though 300k was a steal given the praise he is been getting, should Saints not be holding out for more money from an English/foreign team?? 

No mate I don’t think so. Yes it’s possible an English club may have offered us slightly more (not much more though with only 6 months left on his contract) but I don’t believe an English club would have loaned him back to us. We’ve seen this recently with Kyle McAllister and Stevie Mallan. Rightly or wrongly English clubs seem to think they will develop more in their U23 squads than in the Scottish Championship. 

Also if all we were getting was a development fee (I.e with no add ons), this would have been less that £300k. 

Getting some cash, but more importantly keeping him for this season, I believe is the best possible outcome. 

Also with him going to Celtic, if we get promoted this season it’s entirely possible that we could get him on loan next season too.

17 minutes ago, Marky said:

No mate I don’t think so. Yes it’s possible an English club may have offered us slightly more (not much more though with only 6 months left on his contract) but I don’t believe an English club would have loaned him back to us. We’ve seen this recently with Kyle McAllister and Stevie Mallan. Rightly or wrongly English clubs seem to think they will develop more in their U23 squads than in the Scottish Championship. 

Also if all we were getting was a development fee (I.e with no add ons), this would have been less that £300k. 

Getting some cash, but more importantly keeping him for this season, I believe is the best possible outcome. 

Also with him going to Celtic, if we get promoted this season it’s entirely possible that we could get him on loan next season too.

No chance - he's ours next season!!

In all seriousness, i think this probably represents a good deal for St Mirren, however, we're back to this nonsense of financially better off clubs stockpiling young talent and loaning them out to who they want, same league or not.  Celtic could conceivably have loan players at every club next season.  Not Celtic's fault, but UEFA have to step in to caps this somehow as it represents a fairly clear conflict of interests. Again on Saturday, we have to change our team around (ultimately weakening it) to suit Peter Lawwell. 

45 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

In all seriousness, i think this probably represents a good deal for St Mirren, however, we're back to this nonsense of financially better off clubs stockpiling young talent and loaning them out to who they want, same league or not.  Celtic could conceivably have loan players at every club next season.  Not Celtic's fault, but UEFA have to step in to caps this somehow as it represents a fairly clear conflict of interests. Again on Saturday, we have to change our team around (ultimately weakening it) to suit Peter Lawwell. 

Agree completely. Well, not the bit about you getting him next season! 

I guess the key part of my original post saying it was a good deal was the “under the circumstances” part.

The circumstances being in part at least, exactly what you say above. 

I said about a year ago that Morgan was a player Hearts should be looking at rather than the bunch of duds Cathro brought in. Not sure we could have afforded him or he would have been interested, but we should have tried. 

On Naismith, I reckon he’ll head to Rangers. Some players are prepared to take a sizeable pay cut to move back home, two examples being Berra and Lafferty (OK we maybe subsequently found out why in his case) at Hearts. 

8 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's on 50k a week at Norwich, was on similar at end up in Everton and would have been on decent money at Rangers. He's a smart kid....he's set for life.

Figure I heard was £85k - that was when he knocked back had move to Sunderland - but who knows exactly.

7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I think if he does come back it'll be Rangers, Killie or Aberdeen.  The Rangers and Killie connections are obvious.  Killie made a pretty bold move by going for, and getting, Stevie Clark and it would be a huge statement if they could persuade Naismith to join up as well.  Aberdeen wouldn't surprise me at all as it would get him his move back to Scotland without the additional scrutiny and pressure he'd be under playing for Rangers again, plus just as much chance (or more) to actually compete for trophies again.  Would Aberdeen work for him logistically though if he's planning on moving to a house in Stewarton?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Naismith didn't end up back at both Rangers and Kilmarnock.   He's only 31 so arguably has another 5 or 6 years in him playing at a fairly decent level.  He's had a couple of bad injuries which might have an impact but on the other hand he looks after himself off the pitch.

He's got another 18 months on his contract so I suspect it will be down to whether a deal can be done with Norwich to pay at least a large part of that up. 

I could see him signing for Rangers on something like a 2 1/2 year deal for fairly decent SPFL money and then moving to Kilmarnock once that was done to finish his contract, possibly involving some sort of player coach role.

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Naismith didn't end up back at both Rangers and Kilmarnock.   He's only 31 so arguably has another 5 or 6 years in him playing at a fairly decent level.  He's had a couple of bad injuries which might have an impact but on the other hand he looks after himself off the pitch.

He's got another 18 months on his contract so I suspect it will be down to whether a deal can be done with Norwich to pay at least a large part of that up. 

I could see him signing for Rangers on something like a 2 1/2 year deal for fairly decent SPFL money and then moving to Kilmarnock once that was done to finish his contract, possibly involving some sort of player coach role.

So up the road to join the Mighty Killie and when he reaches 35 or so, do a Kenny Miller and join the Rangers.......:ok:

3 hours ago, jailender said:

Was Naismith not involved in some homeless/ unemployed charity work in Liverpool when he was at Everton? I remember thinking then that he seemed a genuine guy, who never forgot that he came from fairly modest beginnings.

Yes. He paid for tickets to Everton games and gave them to local Unemployment Offices to give to folk that were working hard to find a job. 

Pretty sure he also donated money and more importantly time to a food bank in the local area as well as a homeless charity too. 

3 hours ago, Marky said:

I was unaware of how much was left on current contract, assumed it was longer..

On 19 December 2017 at 9:30 AM, SpiderAlba said:

Back in 2012, ra peepul declared Naismith and co to be "traitors to The Crown, the British Empire, Ulster and oor Protestant faith" and that they were also "taigs, declans, priest lovers, Sinn Fein sympathisers and paid agents of Rome."

That seemed to be the gist of it on followfollow and rangersmedia anyway.

They all seemed to be a trifle angry, confused and extremely bigoted.

Hiya ErstazThistle, Hiya Pal :wave:

15 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

That's the problem with thinking that Rangersmedia or FollowFollow represents the majority of the fan base. They don't. Those are the places that the vocal lunatic fringe hangout. 

Ive been banned from them more times than I can remember for pointing out the bigots and twats. 😀 

I can't even remember all of the usernames that have bitten the dust.

Port Glasgow Hun?

On 20/12/2017 at 2:26 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

You're wrong about Naismith, just accept it. 

He's donated to a multitude of charities and still financially supports the boys club he played for. 

He seems to be a generous, decent guy and the venal attitude you are describing doesn't fit with that picture. 

I,ve donated and still do to mulitude charities but it doesn,t mean money isn,t important to me.If my old company came calling I wouldn,t go back for any less than I,m on at the moment

On 20/12/2017 at 2:46 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Correct.....he helps out numerous charities both local to where he grew up and where he plays. He supports dyslexia Scotland too, as well as Stewarton Annick where he started out.

Langtonian just seems a miserable git that can't accept that not all footballers are tossers.

You dont know me so dont make assumptions

Because footballers like the cash doesn,t make them tossers which i never insinuated

12 minutes ago, Langtonian said:

I,ve donated and still do to mulitude charities but it doesn,t mean money isn,t important to me.If my old company came calling I wouldn,t go back for any less than I,m on at the moment

Yes because that is just like a footballer who's made more money than he'll ever need not wanting to go back home where his family can settle.

We currently have a manager who choose us due to locality and cash not being an issue. It's not uncommon.

1 hour ago, Langtonian said:

So Naismith must be the same as you? 

Or maybe he's more like me and the work life balance is more important than the cash? 

You are getting annoyed with Squirrelhumper making an assumption about you but you're happy to make assumptions about Naismith? 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We currently have a manager who choose us due to locality and cash not being an issue. It's not uncommon.

Nothing to do withhim being out of work for a year or so and no other offers?

3 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So Naismith must be the same as you? 

Or maybe he's more like me and the work life balance is more important than the cash? 

You are getting annoyed with Squirrelhumper making an assumption about you but you're happy to make assumptions about Naismith? 

Not annoyedwith Squirrelhumper in the least

Slight difference in making assumptions on football players to someone making assumptions on one post by a random poster on a football forum

Merry Xmas to you both

On 20/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, SMcoolJ said:

what a load of sh1te, you know the rules before you signed the player dont sign the player off us and there wouldnt be a problem