Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 165 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

33 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Jamie Murphy undergoing a medical after Rangers agreed fee of £1M with Brighton (according to SSN).  Rumours doing the rounds that we're interested in Docherty from Hamilton too.

Horrendous signing IMO, especially for £1 million. Aberdeen just signed a superior player for £0. 

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Jamie Murphy undergoing a medical after Rangers agreed fee of £1M with Brighton (according to SSN).  Rumours doing the rounds that we're interested in Docherty from Hamilton too.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Horrendous signing IMO, especially for £1 million. Aberdeen just signed a superior player for £0. 

I think horrendous is a bit extreme!

Jamie Murphy is a good player who did well in league 1 and the championship and has already shown he can do it in Scotland. He was never going to be a regular in the EPL, but being at an EPL side, I’d imagine £1 million is seen as almost a nominal fee, they (Brighton) paid nearly £2 million for him.

Id agree Niall McGinn is a better piece of business, but think Murphy is as good or better a player and his CV backs that up.

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think horrendous is a bit extreme!

Jamie Murphy is a good player who did well in league 1 and the championship and has already shown he can do it in Scotland. He was never going to be a regular in the EPL, but being at an EPL side, I’d imagine £1 million is seen as almost a nominal fee, they (Brighton) paid nearly £2 million for him.

Id agree Niall McGinn is a better piece of business, but think Murphy is as good or better a player and his CV backs that up.

Maybe i'll be wrong but i never particularly rated him as a player, he's decent, no better. The £1 million fee is what makes it "horrendous", especially given Rangers' current position of hemorrhaging cash. 

I'd also disagree that he done particularly well in the Championship. He played 35 times last year, scoring twice and having 2 assists and was more a squad player than anything else. The season before was much better (although hardly noteworthy), with 6 goals and 5 assists. 

It's bizarre to me that you value doing not bad in the English Championship over gaining international caps, scoring goals at that level and playing in an international tournament but i guess we all view things differently. 

21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Maybe i'll be wrong but i never particularly rated him as a player, he's decent, no better. The £1 million fee is what makes it "horrendous", especially given Rangers' current position of hemorrhaging cash. 

I'd also disagree that he done particularly well in the Championship. He played 35 times last year, scoring twice and having 2 assists and was more a squad player than anything else. The season before was much better (although hardly noteworthy), with 6 goals and 5 assists. 

It's bizarre to me that you value doing not bad in the English Championship over gaining international caps, scoring goals at that level and playing in an international tournament but i guess we all view things differently. 

I don't think Rangers will have paid anywhere near £1M for him.  I'm not saying that it makes whatever they did "pay" for Murphy a good deal, I'm just saying Rangers have to be seen to be splashing out.  I suspect this figure will have been embellished for the Daily Record audience......

3 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I don't think Rangers will have paid anywhere near £1M for him.  I'm not saying that it makes whatever they did "pay" for Murphy a good deal, I'm just saying Rangers have to be seen to be splashing out.  I suspect this figure will have been embellished for the Daily Record audience......

Perhaps you're right. A £1 million fee being reported would probably suit everyone! :lol:  

Why are Rangers signing anybody at the moment? They’re not going to win the league and as inconsistent as they are should be good enough for top 3. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me when they don’t have a manager in place and won’t have until the end of the season.

Are they shipping some out?

41 minutes ago, Bobster said:

Why are Rangers signing anybody at the moment? They’re not going to win the league and as inconsistent as they are should be good enough for top 3. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me when they don’t have a manager in place and won’t have until the end of the season.

Are they shipping some out?

Seemingly a few on the way out according to the press- the Mexicans for example, Cardoso, Alves, plus Tavernier might not be signing a new contract. We don't have a massive squad, if you take into account the injuries - 6/7 players who would have started the last old firm out, and a relatively young squad overall.

However, it might not be as easy as the papers think to shift some of these guys, since they will be on decent money.

21 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Hits a mean deid ba' anyway.

Talented player but had a tendency to drift in and out of games.

12 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye this. Should coast the championship though. 

Cheers. Well fingers crossed. Lost Fraser and fyvie to injury so badly needed.

7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Murphy, Docherty, Declan, Sean, what next?....Phil Macgiollabhain to replace Jim Traynor?

13 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He’s average but probably better than McLean. 

9 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Ha. Similar to a comment made earlier elsewhere on the rumour, “Good player, not the enforcer we are craving, but a better player than McLean”!!

Certainly better value for money than McLean.

Might not be the type of midfielder we need right now but at the end of the season we could need a few more with Christie and McLean moving on.

Am I right in thinking he is quite injury prone.

2 minutes ago, drew said:

Certainly better value for money than McLean.

Might not be the type of midfielder we need right now but at the end of the season we could need a few more with Christie and McLean moving on.

Am I right in thinking he is quite injury prone.

Completely agree. 

If we manage to get the wee man back it'll be right up there with our best signings ever.

He's moved back into his newly built house in Stewarton and if Rangers aren't in for him I think we've a real chance. He doesn't need the money so I can't see him going to say Hibs for an extra 1k a week. Time will tell of course.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2056196/kilmarnock-move-norwich-rangers-steven-naismith/

21 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If we manage to get the wee man back it'll be right up there with our best signings ever.

He's moved back into his newly built house in Stewarton and if Rangers aren't in for him I think we've a real chance. He doesn't need the money so I can't see him going to say Hibs for an extra 1k a week. Time will tell of course.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2056196/kilmarnock-move-norwich-rangers-steven-naismith/

Apparently Murty doesn't want him.  I think it's a huge mistake as he instantly improves our starting XI.  He is of course a very divisive figure amongst the Rangers support but then so was Kenny Miller when he came back.