Worst Managers In Scottish Football - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst Managers In Scottish Football

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Paul le Guen was an interesting choice of manager but his expansive style was too namby-pamby for Scottish football. His European record was good though, including a first ever win for us in Italy, but his fall outs with Baz Fez and Fernando Ricksen were his downfall.

That, and signing keech like Karl Svensson, Libor Sionko, Lionel Letizi and Filip Sebo (last minute Aberdeen winner apart...)

He did sign the legend that is Sasa Papac so he gets partial credit for that. Also a stat that became a staple of Ian Crocker's commentary for years to come.

'Sebo's on, we're takin' the piss.......' 

45 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Alex McLiesh at Motherwell when he started signing players. 

Spent more more money in one close season than Tommy McLean got in 8/9 years. 

I seriously considered Mcleish for honourable mention.

His signings were awful, but after spending a long time thinking he was just the luckiest manager in football, I've conceded that he must have some managerial qualities. Not signing players mind you. Probably always managing to move on before his reputation is damaged irreparably by his signings.

:lol:

45 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, you're right. With hindsight he wasn't as bad as I thought at the time.

Probably been discussed to death on other parts of this forum?

but I was always a defender of Vogts based on a decent competitive record.

I think he was undermined and turned into a figure of fun by the media long before the wheels really came off. Burley was similar IMO, although there's a lot of innuendo about his personal issues.

Like PLG at Rangers and I'm sure many others, they just didn't get the easy ride from the media you'd get as a former old firm player for example.....

Vogts was a complete disaster. 5-0 to France, 6-0 to Netherlands, 2-2 with the the Faroes, 3-0 to Hungary, Austria and god knows who else.

Caps for Robbie Stockdale, Scott Dobie, Gareth Williams and my Gran.  

Managing to alienate Davje Weir and Christian Dailly.  He was an unmitigated disaster. 

18 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

That, and signing keech like Karl Svensson, Libor Sionko, Lionel Letizi and Filip Sebo (last minute Aberdeen winner apart...)

I remember being in a sports shop about a week before Manchester in 2008 and the only Rangers top left in the place was one with "Sionko" printed on the back. :lol:

He scored twice against Scotland in the Czech friendly a few weeks later....

5 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

I remember being in a sports shop about a week before Manchester in 2008 and the only Rangers top left in the place was one with "Sionko" printed on the back. :lol:

He scored twice against Scotland in the Czech friendly a few weeks later....

Papac aside he was probably Le Guen's best signing (which says a helluva lot).

From a St. Mirren point of view, in my entire 40 years watching the team, I would only class Davie Hay, John Coughlan, Tommy Craig and Ian Murray as terrible managers.

Can't even really think of anyone else I would even class as bad.

Tony Fitz probably ought to fit the bill but can't bring myself to say anything bad about the guy.

Not just for borderline-criminal incompetence,  but for top-class, 5-star, platinum plated cuuuuntiness.

Step forward...right off a cliff....Mark McGhee. You cuuuuunt.

Edited by Rossy

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Not just for borderline-criminal incompetence,  but for top-class, 5-star, platinum plated cuuuuntiness.

Step forward...right off a cliff....Mark McGhee. You cuuuuunt.

I get the feeling you're not a fan of Mark McGhee. Surely there were far worse Aberdeen managers. Ebbe Skovdahl springs to mind. 

26 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

. Surely there were far worse Aberdeen managers. Ebbe Skovdahl springs to mind. 

Nope. None worse. Old Ebbe remains popular with Dons fans.

I'd rather have Ian Durrant as Aberdeen manager than McGhee.

2 hours ago, Rossy said:

Nope. None worse. Old Ebbe remains popular with Dons fans.

I'd rather have Ian Durrant as Aberdeen manager than McGhee.

I know Ebbe was a kindly old uncle figure but his team got regular humpings from Celtic and others.

8 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I know Ebbe was a kindly old uncle figure but his team got regular humpings from Celtic and others.

Rangers under Jock Wallace and John Greig got regular humpings from Aberdeen and others.

They must be the worst Rangers managers ever. I think you should hate them. 

2 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Rangers under Jock Wallace and John Greig got regular humpings from Aberdeen and others.

They must be the worst Rangers managers ever. I think you should hate them. 

John greig is up ther with  McCoist on shytieness at Rangers however Wallace won the Treble i believe...( twice?)

2 minutes ago, stocky said:

John greig is up ther with  McCoist on shytieness at Rangers however Wallace won the Treble i believe...( twice?)

I know.

I was just replying to the ridiculous argument that my opinion on an Aberdeen manager should be formed because someone on an internet message board keeps on telling me that's the way it should be.

Skovdahl got Aberdeen to 2 cup finals and into Europe. McGhee was a khunt.

End of.

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I get the feeling you're not a fan of Mark McGhee. Surely there were far worse Aberdeen managers. Ebbe Skovdahl springs to mind. 

Ebbe was actually ok given want he had to work with. Also "the operation was a success, but the patient died".

56 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Ebbe was actually ok given want he had to work with. Also "the operation was a success, but the patient died".

:lol: :lol:

What was the line he spun about miniskirts and statistics again ?

His 99/00 Aberdeen team had the indignity of being annihilated by John Barnes' Celtic team - 5-0 at Pittodrie, 7-0 at Celtic Park, 6-0 at Pittodrie,