Worst Managers In Scottish Football - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst Managers In Scottish Football

4 hours ago, stocky said:

John greig is up ther with  McCoist on shytieness at Rangers

He started off well (inherited a strong team), was one win away from the treble in his first season and made the European Cup quarters knocking out two of the favourites in the process.

It went pear shaped from then on, although it wasn't great timing with the emergence of the "New Firm"...

Edited by Toepoke

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/03/2016 at 10:39 PM, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Vogts for Scotland. I was told by a mate of a player he called up that Vogts' first words at training to him were 'hello, and what position do you play?'

Name and shame or it didnt happen.

On 7 March 2016 at 9:33 PM, fringo said:

I actually almost look back fondly at Vogts compared to the other 2 now.

On 7 March 2016 at 11:09 PM, Orraloon said:

Aye, you're right. With hindsight he wasn't as bad as I thought at the time.

On 8 March 2016 at 6:55 AM, adamntg said:

Vogts was a complete disaster. 5-0 to France, 6-0 to Netherlands, 2-2 with the the Faroes, 3-0 to Hungary, Austria and god knows who else.

Caps for Robbie Stockdale, Scott Dobie, Gareth Williams and my Gran.  

Managing to alienate Davje Weir and Christian Dailly.  He was an unmitigated disaster. 

Exactly. anyone who didn't think Vogts was the worst we have had has scrubbed all those turgid performances, unbelievable call-ups and bizarre formations from their mind.......

10 hours ago, Rossy said:

I know.

I was just replying to the ridiculous argument that my opinion on an Aberdeen manager should be formed because someone on an internet message board keeps on telling me that's the way it should be.

Skovdahl got Aberdeen to 2 cup finals and into Europe. McGhee was a khunt.

End of.

So you do have a reason for not hating Ebbe! You just had to act the twat because I asked?

Bizarre behaviour. 

My memories of his team were the royal humpings dished out by Celtic and not even one of their better teams.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion however to go all arsey because I don't understand why says a lot about you.

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So you do have a reason for not hating Ebbe! You just had to act the twat because I asked?

Bizarre behaviour. 

My memories of his team were the royal humpings dished out by Celtic and not even one of their better teams.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion however to go all arsey because I don't understand why says a lot about you.

As opposed to McGhee who lost 9-0 to Celtic and brushed it off as "only 3pts"?

McGhee was hated even by players he brought in to the club.

I'd recommend reading this interview McGhee did after he got sacked. The man is a complete tool.

Edited by Cove_Sheep

10 hours ago, stocky said:

John greig is up ther with  McCoist on shytieness at Rangers however Wallace won the Treble i believe...( twice?)

Not true mate. Greig's tenure is widely regarded as poor because no league titles were secured, however he did still win 4 trophies, 2 league and 2 Scottish Cups. And as has been mentioned, we put out Juventus and PSV on route to a European Cup Quarter Final. 

Not as successful as other managers certainly, but comparing him to Ally McCoist is just silly. 

5 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

As opposed to McGhee who lost 9-0 to Celtic and brushed it off as "only 3pts"?

McGhee was hated even by players he brought in to the club.

I'd recommend reading this interview McGhee did after he got sacked. The man is a complete tool.

I've seen that interview before. He may well be a tool but the threads about worst managers not the most unpopular. 

That's why Mccoist wins hands down at Ibrox. 

And for anyone to say Jock Wallace was Rangers worst demonstrates their lack of knowledge.

In fairness to wee Berti, he remains the last manager to date to lead Scotland to the play-offs for a major finals, albeit after finishing runners-up in a group in which even Burley or Levein might have got us to second place.  Mibee.  :unsure:

As for bizarre team selections, aye, he had his moments, there's no doubt about that.  Then again, if anyone wants to see another Scotland squad littered with wacky selections, look no further than the squad(s) announced today!

51 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

And for anyone to say Jock Wallace was Rangers worst demonstrates their lack of knowledge.

His team got humped loads of times by Aberdeen.

He must be the worst ? Surely ? Eh ? Eh ?

3 hours ago, Rossy said:

His team got humped loads of times by Aberdeen.

He must be the worst ? Surely ? Eh ? Eh ?

You really are incapable of rational discussion when anyone questions your opinion. 

The title is worst manager not the one you don't like personally. 

I'm not an Aberdeen fan so my opinion is based on memories of games so 1-0 defeats for Aberdeen wouldn't stick in the mind where the 7-0 ones do. Hence my surprise at your choice.

Can you see how this works yet?

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Forgot about that. I mind wee Jum went for an interview. Did Fergie even entertain the invitation?

I don't think Fergie did speak to them. 

He did get a 5 year deal on the back of which led to him being the best paid manager in the UK for a while (did include bonuses from what I recall). 

Fergie said no. Wee Jum said no so they went for Wallace. His first game was at Pittodrie. After 9 minutes we were 2 up and cruising. :spin:

32 minutes ago, AberdeenAngus said:

). 

Fergie said no. Wee Jum said no so they went for Wallace. His first game was at Pittodrie. After 9 minutes we were 2 up and cruising. :spin:

The only game I've ever been locked out off at Pittodrie....:lol:

12 hours ago, AberdeenAngus said:

I don't think Fergie did speak to them. 

He did get a 5 year deal on the back of which led to him being the best paid manager in the UK for a while (did include bonuses from what I recall). 

The rumour was that he'd had a phone call from some go between and made it clear he wasn't interested, I think. Might not be remembering it totally correctly as it's been a while. 

3 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The rumour was that he'd had a phone call from some go between and made it clear he wasn't interested, I think. Might not be remembering it totally correctly as it's been a while. 

3 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I was always told Ferguson refused to attend an interview because his mate was still in post.

I think you're both correct...