Forth Road Bridge Closed - Page 27 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forth Road Bridge Closed

21 minutes ago, aaid said:

Holyrood committee report finds that the fault that caused the bridge to close could not be foreseen and that any cuts in maintenance budget had no impact.

I'm sure all the amateur structural engineers in the Labour party will be lining up to admit they were wrong.

A Holyrood committee with an SNP majority finds by a majority that the fault that caused the bridge to close could not be foreseen and that any cuts in maintenance budget had no impact.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is a holyrood committee commenting on something they have no technical knowledge of. Doesn't the evidence speak for itself without being interpreted by committee unless ofc the committee had their own empirical evidence.

The process seems weird I have no clue about the conclusion the process brought.

38 minutes ago, phart said:

Why is a holyrood committee commenting on something they have no technical knowledge of. Doesn't the evidence speak for itself without being interpreted by committee unless ofc the committee had their own empirical evidence.

The process seems weird I have no clue about the conclusion the process brought.

Given its composition it's not even really a committee it just a rubber stamp with legs.

Edited by Larky Masher

• 9 months later...
7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

This driver must be an early contender for clown of the year...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38575843

Most times I'm on the Tay road bridge when it's down to "cars only" I see drivers of lorries and vans ignoring the signs and just going across anyway. This guy has caused chaos but he is just the unlucky one that got caught out. Although he is very lucky to be still alive. He will get done for dangerous driving and probably lose his job. This might be a wake up call to other drivers.

We should also think about the responsibility of the company he works for as well. We don't know what sort of pressure he might have been put under to take risks like this. He isn't the only one who does it.

27 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Most times I'm on the Tay road bridge when it's down to "cars only" I see drivers of lorries and vans ignoring the signs and just going across anyway. This guy has caused chaos but he is just the unlucky one that got caught out. Although he is very lucky to be still alive. He will get done for dangerous driving and probably lose his job. This might be a wake up call to other drivers.

We should also think about the responsibility of the company he works for as well. We don't know what sort of pressure he might have been put under to take risks like this. He isn't the only one who does it.

Agree with you. May well be he will go after his employer - culture/bullying/always a blind eye turned to this and an expectation drivers will go for it anyway. Or maybe he's just a selfish fud.

48 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Were we promised it in December?  I thought that would have been ahead of schedule but it was always probably going to be this summer?

I thought the same as you but it was initially meant to open by the end of 2016. 

Edited by Parklife

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Och Aye said:

He really is a c*nt of the highest order. Maybe we should've cut some corners to get it open before it got windy. Anyway her majesty is too unwell to come and open it so we'll have to wait a bit longer.

It goes straight across I think.  Didn't see any corners on it the other day.

21 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

He really is a c*nt of the highest order. Maybe we should've cut some corners to get it open before it got windy. Anyway her majesty is too unwell to come and open it so we'll have to wait a bit longer.

Ever since he was defeated last year in his bid to be the speaker at Holyrood, Fraser has went on the rampage with the OTT "I'm Her Majesties Most Loyal North British Subject" spiel online, in press and in the chamber at Holyrood. It's kind of sad really. A man proud of being a caricature.

Doesn't he also hold the record for the most unsuccessful attempts to win a constituency seat at Holyrood ?

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

I was speaking to an old friend a couple of months ago who mentioned that he'd been at school with Murdo Fraser.  I guess one way to really piss him off should be to point out that he was formerly in the IRA, he went to Inverness Royal Academy.

Funnily enough, said friend now lives in Portadown and gets quite a few raised eyebrows whenever he's asked what school he went to - which I suspect is on a fairly regular basis.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I thought the same as you but it was initially meant to open by the end of 2016. 

That's open to argument.  The contractual delivery date is in the summer of 2017 but the original planned date was December 2016.  

If you're a SG politician you'd say that the bridge will be open on time, if you're an opposition politician then you'll say it's six months date.  Both are strictly speaking correct, but are different things.

If you're familiar with project management, you'll realise that they've simply used up the contingency built into the original plan.