Forth Road Bridge Closed - Page 26 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forth Road Bridge Closed

Aye, It's clearly a bit daft to praise the SNP for fixing the bridge when they had very little do do with fixing it. Just as it was equally daft to try to blame the SNP for breaking it in the first place.

It shouldn't stop us having a laugh at the unionist politicians and the unionist media who seem to have no better sticks to hit the SNP with. They are in a bit of a sorry state. It's hard not to feel sorry for them but I'll try. :lol:

aye, totally. I suppose you can't help folk for getting praise if they would have got vilified if it went the opposite way.

I don't hear a peep off them, It warms my heart to hear they are in a sorry state.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What dictionary are you using?

mitigate something (formal) to make something less harmful, serious, etc.

synonym alleviate

action to mitigate poverty

Soil erosion was mitigated by the planting of trees.

If it was more efficient in business terms they'd already be doing it. They aren't, its not, so the way they work, while mitigating damage, doesn't get rid of it and as such still lowers productivity.

I'm the same ways as the mitigation for hgv drivers is to use the Kincardine bridge. It still delivers the result but more slowly and at higher cost. So it lowers productivity.

If it was more efficient in business terms they'd already be doing it. They aren't, its not, so the way they work, while mitigating damage, doesn't get rid of it and as such still lowers productivity.

I'm the same ways as the mitigation for hgv drivers is to use the Kincardine bridge. It still delivers the result but more slowly and at higher cost. So it lowers productivity.

You are tying yourself in knots here.

The budget is 108% of whatever the work costs. Don't you know how SNP budgets work?

Aye, all the extra weight of those £1 coins travelling across the bridge when they should have been left at one end, probably made all the difference. The pound coin that broke the bridge's back.

I'd suggest it was all the extra traffic and increase in time to cross the bridge after the toll abolition that did the damage.

So judging by the date this thread started versus today the bridge was shut for 3 weeks.

I doubt the bridge would have been shut for much less had people had perfect foresight. Very good crisis management job by the SNP.

It is very revealing the folk who rush in and try to spin it as their fault before any of the facts are established.

These same folk later bleat about the SNP being 'tribal'.

In my wildest dreams I would never have believed that almost all the MSPs in Scotland would be SNP. I think it is the tribalism of labour the tories and the libdems that have done it. It is like a weird reverse blow back effect.

How much extra traffic went over the bridge because the tolls were abolished?

Believe it or not you can't really tell because once they stopped taking tolls they stopped counting the number of vehicles and the data since the abolition is rather fragmented, however it would appear that it was nothing like the 20% increase forecast being probably closer to 5%.

It is barely a week since there were headlines and warnings about the bridge being permanently closed to HGVs. Scaremongering obviously, but still good to see it opening to most traffic, and hauliers at least have some idea of timescale. Regrettably I fear many of the 'lessons' learned re alternative working and transport will quickly be forgotten, and the population of Dalgety Bay will revert to spending 2-3 hours a day in traffic again. It was disappointing to see the short-sighted reaction to comments by Lesley Riddoch and others on this.

It is barely a week since there were headlines and warnings about the bridge being permanently closed to HGVs. Scaremongering obviously, but still good to see it opening to most traffic, and hauliers at least have some idea of timescale. Regrettably I fear many of the 'lessons' learned re alternative working and transport will quickly be forgotten, and the population of Dalgety Bay will revert to spending 2-3 hours a day in traffic again. It was disappointing to see the short-sighted reaction to comments by Lesley Riddoch and others on this.

You couldn't be more correct.

I normally get train from Inverkeithing, a simple 20 odd minute journey to the centre of Edinburgh every day but have been using Dalgety Bay station since Bridge closed. I would normally walk there as there was no parking available in car park or surroundings. Train station was busy as were trains. Went up for same train today, car park half empty, station near deserted. I could argue Xmas holidays but yesterday was as busy as I saw it at any time when the Bridge was closed.

I have no idea why someone would want to endure driving to and from Edinburgh every single day when public transport, especially from Inverkeithing, is so good.

You couldn't be more correct.

I normally get train from Inverkeithing, a simple 20 odd minute journey to the centre of Edinburgh every day but have been using Dalgety Bay station since Bridge closed. I would normally walk there as there was no parking available in car park or surroundings. Train station was busy as were trains. Went up for same train today, car park half empty, station near deserted. I could argue Xmas holidays but yesterday was as busy as I saw it at any time when the Bridge was closed.

I have no idea why someone would want to endure driving to and from Edinburgh every single day when public transport, especially from Inverkeithing, is so good.

How much does it cost though. Until they make it cheaper than taking the car or vise versa folk aren't going to change their behaviour. A large proportion of cars crossing the FRB aren't going to the centre of Edinburgh, so they would need to get onward transport from there. If they don't make public transport relatively cheap then folk won't go out of their way to find out what the best public transport options are.

How much does it cost though. Until they make it cheaper than taking the car or vise versa folk aren't going to change their behaviour. A large proportion of cars crossing the FRB aren't going to the centre of Edinburgh, so they would need to get onward transport from there. If they don't make public transport relatively cheap then folk won't go out of their way to find out what the best public transport options are.

I appreciate not everyone works in the centre of Edinburgh but Edinburgh itself has good transport links to the rest of the city IMO. Obviously if you are travelling West Lothian, East Lothian or elsewhere your transport links are limited.

I pay £1400 for an annual season ticket on the train. I am quite lucky as I can be door to door in under an hour most days on the way to work. Usually its 40 mins from leaving my desk to walking in front door in the evening.

I think £1400 isn't too bad a price for a pretty good and reliable train service. I would have to be saving a hell of a lot on that price to make me want to leave house before 7 in the morning to get across the Bridge at a reasonable time and then endure the delays back across the Bridge at night which are solid from 4pm onwards to past 6pm. As Pool Q says, it can be 2-3 hours easily commuting a day for some just in and out of Edinburgh.

If you actually place any sort of value on your own free time and then add on fuel costs, parking costs and continual wear and tear on your car then I doubt anyone is getting a massive saving over the cost of a train ticket.

• 1 month later...

Barry Colford also said that nobody had predicted the particular failure which caused the bridge to close, but I can't see that bit in the BBC report.

What he said was that they hadn't predicted that the component which failed would cause the failure not that they weren't concerned about a failure in the overall sub-structure thus the suggestion for remedial work 5 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Holyrood committee report finds that the fault that caused the bridge to close could not be foreseen and that any cuts in maintenance budget had no impact.

I'm sure all the amateur structural engineers in the Labour party will be lining up to admit they were wrong.