Forth Road Bridge Closed - Page 30 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forth Road Bridge Closed

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Too little too late. Where were all these snail jokes when we needed them. The death of the TAMB is on these two. 

There's some truth in that.

In yonder times I'd have to really race to get a quip in first.

I'd have another device open so I could check, before I posted, that nobody (usually Flure) had gotten in there first.

These days there's no need to bother rushing. No need to worry about Flure. He's busy tweeting jokes, Snapchatting recipes and posting cottage selfies on Instagram. :( 

11 hours ago, Bobster said:

There's some truth in that.

In yonder times I'd have to really race to get a quip in first.

I'd have another device open so I could check, before I posted, that nobody (usually Flure) had gotten in there first.

These days there's no need to bother rushing. No need to worry about Flure. He's busy tweeting jokes, Snapchatting recipes and posting cottage selfies on Instagram. :( 

I will have a word word with him. He needs to start acting more like Tommy Cooper and less like Justin Bieber ...

Crossed the new Bridge on Saturday morning, about 9.15, because I actually needed to as I was heading to Livingston. No issues, traffic flowed smoothly.

Coming home about 11.45am, slow moving and then tailbacks north bound. Didn't help there was a 4 vehicle collision in the middle lane about 2 miles from bridge. We must have been not far behind when it happened but it certainly added to the delays as everything had to move around it. Slow moving onto the bridge, about 15-20mph and then as you got about half way across it was as if half the traffic had disappeared and you could actually travel at speeds you wanted to, not had to. However going southbound it was tailed back as far as I could see when exiting at Rosyth. Again, having come from south to north there was nothing on the bridge going south which would have accounted for those delays and traffic was flowing smoothly off the bridge towards Edinburgh as we went in opposite direction. Its almost as if lots of people are just driving over it, slowing down to look at it and once they get half way across start to drive normally again. Weirdos.

22 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Crossed the new Bridge on Saturday morning, about 9.15, because I actually needed to as I was heading to Livingston. No issues, traffic flowed smoothly.

Coming home about 11.45am, slow moving and then tailbacks north bound. Didn't help there was a 4 vehicle collision in the middle lane about 2 miles from bridge. We must have been not far behind when it happened but it certainly added to the delays as everything had to move around it. Slow moving onto the bridge, about 15-20mph and then as you got about half way across it was as if half the traffic had disappeared and you could actually travel at speeds you wanted to, not had to. However going southbound it was tailed back as far as I could see when exiting at Rosyth. Again, having come from south to north there was nothing on the bridge going south which would have accounted for those delays and traffic was flowing smoothly off the bridge towards Edinburgh as we went in opposite direction. Its almost as if lots of people are just driving over it, slowing down to look at it and once they get half way across start to drive normally again. Weirdos.

Aye, come about 1pm, it was back past Halbeath.  We had to use the bus lane to get to Rosyth to get off towards Kincardine, which was also chokka when we got there.  Nightmare.

Calls on the radio this morning to reopen the FRB to alleviate the delays.  Apparently the roadworks on the new connecting routes will continue for another month.

Keith Brown denied it, but it sounds to me like they've pressed ahead to meet bridge opening deadlines while the arterial roads were still been worked on....

7 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Aye, come about 1pm, it was back past Halbeath.  We had to use the bus lane to get to Rosyth to get off towards Kincardine, which was also chokka when we got there.  Nightmare.

I really hope all the weirdos who think a spin across the new bridge is a day out have satisfied themselves pretty quickly and it can get back to being just a normal route of transport going forward. Not just the bridge traffic but as you highlight alternative routes also suffering.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Calls on the radio this morning to reopen the FRB to alleviate the delays.  Apparently the roadworks on the new connecting routes will continue for another month.

Keith Brown denied it, but it sounds to me like they've pressed ahead to meet bridge opening deadlines while the arterial roads were still been worked on....

Having driven the old bridge loads and new one once and the lead up to both bridges plenty I am pretty sure that trying to use both bridges for all traffic will result in much mentalness/wacky races as people cross lanes needlessly. Part of the problem I think is people not sure what lanes they should be in in lead up to new bridge which results in much chopping of lanes which in turn slows normal traffic flows. Add in the option of being able to cross either bridge of your choosing and it would just get worse.Will say it again, the traffic on the new bridge is mainly fine, its the lead up to it and initial entry onto it which is causing the issues. People are driving slower than they need to to take a nosey at it.

The old bridge will open towards end of October for emergency vehicles, buses and taxis. It was always the plan, as far as I was aware, for the old bridge to close for a period of time for work and repairs when the new one opened. The roads either end of it are fine, just blocked off, as they have been in use right up until it was closed are don't require any work AFAIK, its the FRB itself which needs the work. The new bridge is also due to go up to 70mph soon, possibly around the same time the FRB opens for buses etc, from the current 40mph which has been in place for last year or so.

• 5 months later...

Couple of small things I observed driving home yesterday. 

Isn't the bridge meant to be lit up in the dark?

Has anyone else crossing it at night felt that the hundreds of LED lights either side of the carriageway are extremely distracting when they’re positioned at head height to a driving position? We had some 80’s electronic playing on the way home and it felt truly authentic crossing the bridge. 

Went over the new bridge both ways to and from Dunfermline - looks impressive before being on it  - but far better view on the old bridge. At end of day its a mode of transport not a sightseeing platform though. Well worth crossing it though on way to Skids gig. What a band.