Have The Wheels Come Off - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Have The Wheels Come Off

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had 80-100 people at Yes Kelvin planning meeting last night for getting the vote out on Thursday.

I expect this is being replicated right across the country and our feet on the ground have compiled a wealth of information on our voter base over the last 2 years to ensure we now put this into action.

It's time to bring it home!

:ok:

I don't need this right now. I am so low about how they are now trying to paint our wonderful campaign and the fantastic experience I have been part of! :(

I think what you are feeling Lamia is perhaps a loss of innocence to some degree.

Believe me this was ALWAYS how it was going to be.

We are exactly where we need to be right now, on the shoulder coming round the final bend.

Come on!

The declaration has almost 1.5m signatories and the predicted turnout is 3.5-3.8m voters. A shite way to predict a political referendum result I know, but No would have to produce monumental results from the remaining 2-2.3m voters to win based on these figures. Take from that what you will.

We I haven't signed it but I am voting yes, so that's 1.5m +1 !

I need to see Yes at 55% in the poll today to regain some confidence. All over the place at the moment and have a really bad feeling about the final result.

Sorry, but I don't think you'll ever see that as the establishment down south will have the biggest panic attack since the put the price of G&Ts up to a £1 in the commons bars.

BtW. What ever happened to the flag Ian? Mines never arrived.

Would anyone here want to keep on dual citizenship and why?

I hadn't really considered it before as i thought it wouldn't be an option.

I wouldn't be bothered to keep my UK passport but I read something somewhere that suggested the UK passport makes it easier to freely access other countries. It was (along with a few other countries) one of the passports that allowed visa free/visa on arrival entries to the highest amount of countries.

Don't get me wrong, most EU countries were pretty similar so I doubt a Scottish passport would hamper anyone in any way but if anyone was genuinely concerned then I could see why they would retain their UK passport.

Experienced campaigners might be able to see some correlation between window posters and likely vote. e.g. I don't recall seeing too many SNP posters back in 2011 but we all know what happened. Maybe there's some kind of rule of thumb formula? Certainly in my block of 7 houses there are 4 definite Yes houses (the other 3 I don't know about, the folk keep to themselves) but ours is the only one with posters up or a sticker on the car.

I spoke to another neighbour the other day, a guy in his early 80's and a more rabid Tory you'd be hard pressed to find. We usually only talk fitba and gardening but this time he brought up the referendum and started going on about Salmond and the oil and how it won't last forever. I started on about how there were new fields opening all the time and we hadn't even started off the west coast yet and how his grandson (18 yo) wouldn't have to worry about oil running out. His response floored me:

"Aye he's 18 and voting Yes. And so am I - we've got to go for it!"

Now this is a guy who gets all his news from the BBC and either the Express or the Mail. He wouldn't know what the Internet was if it bit him but he went on to slag off the relentless bias we're having to deal with via the papers and the TV.

So on Thursday he'll be my first volunteer driver "fare" of the day. Oh, and he's not got a poster in his window either but when the last person you ever expected turns to a Yes it's got to give you confidence.

Sorry, but I don't think you'll ever see that as the establishment down south will have the biggest panic attack since the put the price of G&Ts up to a £1 in the commons bars.

BtW. What ever happened to the flag Ian? Mines never arrived.

Not sure about the flags sorry, I passed all the names and address onto the guy who ordered them but I think he was floored with requests and couldn't even get close to meeting the demand. Think there was 10,000 ordered but many went to people who donated and selected perks, others were distributed to Yes shops and the rest he was giving away to people who wanted to display them but unfortunately he was swammped with addresses beyond belief so could only send to a small percentage of people that requested them. They are still really hard to come by at the Yes shops and are like gold dust when any turn up.

As for the polls I am hoping they try to reflect the result, if Yes is indeed well ahead, so to keep any sort of reputation as a polling company. I just have this bad feeling about a silent no majority. Every no I come across when canvassing don't have posters or stickers on their windows and probably don't get out in the street to campaign. This is in stark contrast to Yes voters, where you will see Yes posters in every street. They are far more vocal.

I came across too many people last night canvassing who were 'probably voting no' erring on caution, or will shite it on the day so to speak. Others who still believed everything on the BBC, we will have no currency, all businesses will leave etc. Quite depressing. Will these people outnumber yes? I don't know.

Saying that we still had more Yes's than No last night but not to the same extent as normal and even so I can't help but fear the worst.

Edited by iainmac1

Well the labour young guy in my work has just told us today he is going YES. Said "not into nationalism shite" but him and his mate talking last night and it was "feck it, lets go for it". I'll take that!

As I type this, I'm seeing the Yes West Lothian campaign meet in the car park near my work. Its everywhere, we have a core guaranteed support, just need a bit more of a momentum. If we do this, it will be against a British State and Media throwing everything on us. Said before, still not too late, contact your local YES group, put a poster in your window, speak again to the don't knows, your parents and grandparents to turn them around. Don't let history point to our time and show that when the moment came, we chose to defer our rights to determine ourselves to another Country. We are the chosen generation. We will determine if Scotland should re enter the World stage on an equal footing with every other Country in the world.

Not sure about the flags sorry, I passed all the names and address onto the guy who ordered them but I think he was floored with requests and couldn't even get close to meeting the demand. Think there was 10,000 ordered but many went to people who donated and selected perks, others were distributed to Yes shops and the rest he was giving away to people who wanted to display them but unfortunately he was swammped with addresses beyond belief so could only send to a small percentage of people that requested them. They are still really hard to come by at the Yes shops and are like gold dust when any turn up.

As for the polls I am hoping they try to reflect the result, if Yes is indeed well ahead, so to keep any sort of reputation as a polling company. I just have this bad feeling about a silent no majority. Every no I come across when canvassing don't have posters or stickers on their windows and probably don't get out in the street to campaign. This is in stark contrast to Yes voters, where you will see Yes posters in every street. They are far more vocal.

I came across too many people last night canvassing who were 'probably voting no' erring on caution, or will shite it on the day so to speak. Others who still believed everything on the BBC, we will have no currency, all businesses will leave etc. Quite depressing. Will these people outnumber yes? I don't know.

Saying that we still had more Yes's than No last night but not to the same extent as normal and even so I can't help but fear the worst.

I know a lot of 'yes' voters who don't have stickers in their cars and posters in their windows, including me. And a lot who don't wear badges.

And I was leafleting big blocks of housing association flats and found that people heading in through the main door were giving me access to the block before I asked for it. Again, no badges or posters, but firm 'yes' voters.

Edited by the_fadiator

I am low because I hear people repeat it. I know it is a tactic but it is the fact that people I know are saying it that has dragged me down. It has made me feel like I have done something wrong knocking on doors standing on stalls. I know I haven't but that is how I have now started to feel.

I am low because I hear people repeat it. I know it is a tactic but it is the fact that people I know are saying it that has dragged me down. It has made me feel like I have done something wrong knocking on doors standing on stalls. I know I haven't but that is how I have now started to feel.

Dont lose faith Lamia this will spur you on.

My most difficult challenge in the past 25 years has just declared for YES along with his wife.I am actually amazed because when i met this individual a year ago he stated that he didn't really care if there was a Scottish identity as long as he could keep his British one.He is a businessman with a Scottish business who has 70% of his business with England and felt there may be a backlash.Not one of his clients has expressed a need to do business with an English competitor.Price and good service outweigh international or national boundaries.

I have been working purely on the financial argument and this has swayed him totally to Yes.He is now a passionate advocate and is now working on his business partner who is a don't know .

I had him down as an impossible No only a month ago .Think of Bruce and the spider Lamia .The spider has almost reached the top .Fire up that passion just for another 48 hours and we will reap huge rewards :)

With so much at stake, it's only natural that nerves and doubt creep in (and this will be happening on both sides of the argument).

On top of that, the No campign gets a huge amount of coverage in the media as all they have to do is make some kind of giant proclamation and it gets instant headlines. The Yes vote isn't being won in the media, it's being won by the amazing work that 10's of thousands of people are doing in the streets.

There's no precedent for Thursday, and frankly no-one knows what's likely to happen. It's astonishing beyong belief that the Yes vote is so high at this stage, and there should be a huge amount of pride in that.....remember, we're only so nervous because we can win. If it was 35/65 at this moment in time, nerves wouldn't be playing a part, would they ?

Keep the faith.

But FFS, stop starting threads saying 'are the wheels coming off'. Of course they aren't.

I signed the declaration at the Falkirk YES stand on Sunday, what a bunch of friendly, helpful people, it also helped me get rid of a hangover from hell, plenty members of the public taking literature, car / window stickers etc.

I have moved (over the past 8 weeks or so) from an undecided to YES (just pray we can all crack on together on Friday regardless of the outcome)

1) rUK would have a bigger embassy network

2) you would be able to lose 1 passport on a drunken TA trip and still have a backup

3) you may feel ever so slightly more like James Bond by having multiple passports

Edited by AlfieMoon

With so much at stake, it's only natural that nerves and doubt creep in (and this will be happening on both sides of the argument).

On top of that, the No campign gets a huge amount of coverage in the media as all they have to do is make some kind of giant proclamation and it gets instant headlines. The Yes vote isn't being won in the media, it's being won by the amazing work that 10's of thousands of people are doing in the streets.

There's no precedent for Thursday, and frankly no-one knows what's likely to happen. It's astonishing beyong belief that the Yes vote is so high at this stage, and there should be a huge amount of pride in that.....remember, we're only so nervous because we can win. If it was 35/65 at this moment in time, nerves wouldn't be playing a part, would they ?

Keep the faith.

But FFS, stop starting threads saying 'are the wheels coming off'. Of course they aren't.

you want this thread removed. Why ? and do you really think TAMB is a YES mouthpiece?

2) you would be able to lose 1 passport on a drunken TA trip and still have a backup

3) you may feel ever so slightly more like James Bond by having multiple passports

We need to emphasise points like 2) and 3) above, should've been in the White Paper...

I recently renewed my British passport. I think it will be cool to have dual nationality. One passport for USA and Israel. Another passport for Cuba and the rest of the Middle East. Though most probably when the British passport runs out I won't renew it again as I have no desire to go to Cuba, Israel, or the Middle East.

Just a small point on that.....living in Holland, I renewed my passport last year.

It now has to be sent to the British Consulate in Paris (as have all passport renewals/applications from the Benelux and France).....so what used to be a simple process of involving the British consulte in Amsterdam now has become a tedious wait of up to 5 or 6 weeks for a renewal.

Not great when you live abroad and travel a lot.

The 'Embassy' thing is a red-herring. What's useful for the normal man in the street is a Consulate, and I'm presuming an independent Scotland will have consular representation in every European country.

Hopefully then I might get my (new Scottish) passport renewed a damn sight quicker than my old British one.

Edited by Rossy

ehh, you do realise that part of this is that Scotland will no longer be part of Britain and that Scottish folk will no longer have british passports. People with them just now "might" get to keep them but the general gist of the argument is to go it alone.

They can't take your passport off you/refuse to renew it just because you happen to live in post-independence Scotland or indeed in any other country - it's not necessary to be a resident of the UK to have a British passport and there's no reason to believe it'll be any different after independence. It's also possible to have dual citizenship and two passports - I know of people with Irish and British passports and Australian and British passports . There will be literally thousands of British citizens (although they wouldn't necessarily regard themselves in such terms) in Northern Ireland with Republic of Ireland passports (due to the Republic's fairly laid back approach on this issue) who will also have a British passport or at least the right to have a British passport.

This is just more havers from Cameron - he's a truly desperate man.

Edited by neilser