Have The Wheels Come Off - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Have The Wheels Come Off

Guys, just been leafleting in the Drylaw/Pilton area of Edinburgh.... Still getting very good results.

This whole thing has got so many imponderables, I'm defo still very upbeat about our chances :) !

From that and the canvassing I was doing off Leith Walk I was getting about 55% AYE 25% NAW & 20% undecideds.

Of course, it will be different up and down the country, but I defo think 20% to 30% will only make up their minds when they're in the wee booth, or some might no even get that far....As far as I see it, it's aw up for grabs :cheers3:

Given Drylaw/Pilton/Wester Hailes etc, do you think the gains there enough to give us 50/50 in Edinburgh?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of people on this thread and others are saying "A Guy/girl I know at work was a stick-on 'No', but now they're voting 'Yes'."

Now I don't have reason to doubt you, but I'm getting worried a lot of these people might be what they're calling 'shy No's', and just telling you what you want to hear, rather than get into a long discussion - telling you they're a 'Yes', when really they're sticking with 'No'.

How sure are you these people have actually switched to Yes?!?!??

Lots of people on this thread and others are saying "A Guy/girl I know at work was a stick-on 'No', but now they're voting 'Yes'."

Now I don't have reason to doubt you, but I'm getting worried a lot of these people might be what they're calling 'shy No's', and just telling you what you want to hear, rather than get into a long discussion - telling you they're a 'Yes', when really they're sticking with 'No'.

You can't be sure.

My mother said she is voting No due to folk at her bowling club telling her her pension would be cut.
Think she is wavering now after some effort. Anyone got anything snappy on pensions I can send her?

Go to yesedinburghnorthandleith.net there you can click on resources and there's a pdf about pensions being safe!

How can that be answered either way? You can only ask people and accept their answer at face value. How do I know the people on the doorstep who've told me theyre voting NO arent actually voting YES and just tryiing to wind me up? Come on, be positive folks.

My mother said she is voting No due to folk at her bowling club telling her her pension would be cut.
Think she is wavering now after some effort. Anyone got anything snappy on pensions I can send her?

Pages 25 and 26 of the Wee Blue Book - here you go:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/WeeBlueBookDesktopEdition.pdf

Edited by neilser

Given Drylaw/Pilton/Wester Hailes etc, do you think the gains there enough to give us 50/50 in Edinburgh?

Hard to say, but the Yes Edinburgh north and Leith branch have been doing a power of work on the streets and around the houses.... If the people in the schemes get out there and vote who knows what can happen? Meeting a lot of Polish and East europeans who are very much tending to YES!

Go to yesedinburghnorthandleith.net there you can click on resources and there's a pdf about pensions being safe!

Brilliant thanks, that will do it, she is easily swayed!

This started off being about passports, not citizenship. You're now arguing about what you want to see as regards citizenship - fair dos, but it's a different topic.

One problem you've got though is that Scottish citizenship is something that will be bestowed on the inhabitants of Scotland who are already British citizens. It's not even something that those inhabitants will have to apply for. Assuming that there are about 4.9 milion of those inhabitants who are British citizens, you're advocating that those 4.9 million inhabitants should lose their British citizenship merely by virtue of happening to live in Scotland when it becomes an independent country, whereas there's no prospect of British citizenship being lost by virtue of a British citizen living in any other country outside the UK, despite not paying anything towards the upkeep of the British state.

The other, more fundamental, problem you've got is that Britain allows dual citizenship and has done for years - it's simply not an issue.

https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/261499/bn18.pdf

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/sep/13/britishidentity.travelnews

I'm advocating the UK citizens domiciled in Scotland on independence day (and those others who will automatically be considered Scottish citizens) should have to choose between Scottish and UK citizenship. The SG has made it clear that nobody will be forced to take Scottish citizenship: (http://scotreferendum.com/questions/must-i-be-a-scottish-citizen-can-i-opt-out-of-scottish-citizenship-and-retain-my-british-citizenship), and anyone who chooses to opt out would retain their UK citizenship automatically.

It's true that historically the UK has allowed dual citizenship, but this situation would be unprecedented in its impact - when Ireland became independent, a fraction of the number of people today travelled internationally and UK citizenship was a very different, and much broader, classification. As a UK citizen, I wish to see UK citizenship accorded only to those people who have made a commitment to the UK, or who are at the very least neutral towards it. An independent Scotland is the direct opposite of that.

I'm advocating the UK citizens domiciled in Scotland on independence day (and those others who will automatically be considered Scottish citizens) should have to choose between Scottish and UK citizenship. The SG has made it clear that nobody will be forced to take Scottish citizenship: (http://scotreferendum.com/questions/must-i-be-a-scottish-citizen-can-i-opt-out-of-scottish-citizenship-and-retain-my-british-citizenship), and anyone who chooses to opt out would retain their UK citizenship automatically.

It's true that historically the UK has allowed dual citizenship, but this situation would be unprecedented in its impact - when Ireland became independent, a fraction of the number of people today travelled internationally and UK citizenship was a very different, and much broader, classification. As a UK citizen, I wish to see UK citizenship accorded only to those people who have made a commitment to the UK, or who are at the very least neutral towards it. An independent Scotland is the direct opposite of that.

What do you mean by 'neutral'?