Best Films Of All Time? - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Films Of All Time?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thriller - Silence of the Lambs

British Comedy - The Full Monty

US Comedy - Blazing Saddles

Gangster - Godfather 2

Horror - The Omen

WWII - Where Eagles Dare

Vietnam - Full Metal Jacket

Scottish - Trainspotting

Sci-fi - Terminator 2

Western - Unforgiven

RomCom - There's something about Mary

Action - Goldfinger

Thriller – The Usual Suspects

British Comedy – Love Actually

US Comedy – Caddyshack

Gangstery/Organised Crime – Godfather 2

Horror – Blair Witch Project

WWII – Schindlers List

Nam – Full Metal Jacket

RomCom - Jerry Maguire

Sci Fi - Star Wars

Action – Top Gun

Scottish – Local Hero

I went to google it, the main actor choked a female exec and assaulted her and only got 15 days. Which led me to sear5ching other things and all thought of getting the film left me, until i read this, and now i better go and start the search again.

Funnily enough Phart, that knowledge could actually have detrimental effect on you're enjoyment of the film.

IMO, one of the best things about the film is the recurring theme of what a cracking person the main character seems to be and the positive effect he has on the lives of everyone who meets him.

I notice this offence was very recent. You could reconcile it with yourself due to the fact that at the time of filming he was criminal record free! :-))

Hope you enjoy it if you watch it. It's fantastic.

blues brothers ffs....

I went to visit the prison last week that is featured in the movie. It closed in 2000. It's just an overgrown tip now. Sad as it looks like one of the oldest buildings in this area and housed infamous criminals.

bit obscure but i recall watching 'Sahara' the humphrey bogart version and really liking it - only watched it once

also Zulu worth a mention

early 90s used to be a lot of 'movie night' on tv , and some of guys in office would swap film names to watch

even started buying Empire magazine

there was also Stella sponsored film night in early 2000s.... channel 4 i think

the road - is very thought provoking film ; what if kind of thing

into the wild was really good ; i think better is the german film about the Eiger ; and does Das Boot count as a film ?

bit obscure but i recall watching 'Sahara' the humphrey bogart version and really liking it - only watched it once

also Zulu worth a mention

early 90s used to be a lot of 'movie night' on tv , and some of guys in office would swap film names to watch

even started buying Empire magazine

there was also Stella sponsored film night in early 2000s.... channel 4 i think

the road - is very thought provoking film ; what if kind of thing

into the wild was really good ; i think better is the german film about the Eiger ; and does Das Boot count as a film ?

I only watched Zulu for the first time at the weekend there - suoerbly shot and what a cast - Caine, Baker, Jack Hawkins, Nigel Green, James Booth...

Indeed the male gang rape brought a tear of sentimentalism to my eyes. Or the random crippling of inmates, shooting of witnesses brought another pang, when the old boy hanged himself it was almost too much.

It's a an excellent piece of art, full of themes and clever cuts , multiple layers of foreshadowing (the bible will set you free), Old boys shadow when he is finally free, shot so his shadow is still behind bars. thematic overtures of Friendship, loyalty, corruption, power over individuals. You notice something new on a re-watch.

Admittedly it can't be viewed with 3 D glasses. and it did have a happy ending.