Scotland Squad - Spain and France discussion - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad - Spain and France discussion

romanticscot

7 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

But most of our players don't play in the Scottish league. We all know McGregor could play at a higher level and Souttar stayed in Scotland for family reasons. Shankland could certainly do a job for an English championship team or Rangers or Celtic.

Jack Hendry couldn't make it at Celtic and has had a pretty unsuccessful club career. There are games where he's been outstanding for Scotland but you never know which Jack Hendry you're going to get. We got the bad one against England.

if Shankland were that good he would be at the OF or an English Champ side by now, this is the best patch in his career at 28 years old and hes at hearts. 

Re Hendry - He has a Belgian league winners medal and Belgian cup winners medal. He also played in the CL for Brugge.  He does well for Scotland. 

We got the bad everyone against England

16 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The local saudi players beat Argentina at the world cup!!!

Slightly the wrong sife of 30 means nothing when you are talking about the best players for the biggest countries.

Do you think Hendry will have a harder time against Neymar or Martin Boyle?

Totally agree with this

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Aye, I think they are the only team to beat the current World Champions in about 4 years, but some folk think they are pure pish. 🤣

They didn't look out of place against Poland and Mexico either. 

8 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I was quoting someone else but I do see your point. I guess it would be a player that most international teams would be happy to have. I wouldn't put Dykes or Shankland in that category. I don't want it to seem like I don't rate the job that Dykes does for us but if it's a half chance, I'd rather it fell to Shankland or McTominay etc.

Dykes is also a very unselfish player and will always set up another player if he feels that they have a better chance of scoring. I wouldn't say the same about Adams, for example.

Yeah I suppose it has a different meaning depending on the country. We can’t really be too fussy these days unfortunately. 

Who needs strikers when our midfield scores so many goals though? 😂

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Slightly the wrong sife of 30 means nothing when you are talking about the best players for the biggest countries.

Do you think Hendry will have a harder time against Neymar or Martin Boyle?

Come on, we all know it doesn't work like that. Australia beat Denmark at the same WC but Denmark are clearly a much better side.  Just look at Saudi Arabia's other results and we can see what level they're at. 

I think Hendry has improved but it's worth noting his time at Celtic wasn't exactly exceptional. I also don't rate the Belgian league that highly and his time at Bruges wasn't really a great success in my opinion.

A lot of players are in serious decline after 30. Eden Hazard just retired aged 32. I don't blame them for looking for a big payday but I'd also question how seriously they're taking the games (even if subconsciously)

16 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, I think they are the only team to beat the current World Champions in about 4 years, but some folk think they are pure pish. 🤣

They didn't look out of place against Poland and Mexico either. 

They're not a good side. Upsets happen in football. If we're going to take individual matches as evidence of whether a side is good or not then Australia are better than Denmark and also almost as good as Argentina.

And Argentina are probably not the best team in the World.  They're probably up there with Italy as one of the worst teams to win a WC in recent times. Still good but not a legendary side like France 98 or Spain 2010.  

3 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Come on, we all know it doesn't work like that. Australia beat Denmark at the same WC but Denmark are clearly a much better side.  Just look at Saudi Arabia's other results and we can see what level they're at. 

I think Hendry has improved but it's worth noting his time at Celtic wasn't exactly exceptional. I also don't rate the Belgian league that highly and his time at Bruges wasn't really a great success in my opinion.

A lot of players are in serious decline after 30. Eden Hazard just retired aged 32. I don't blame them for looking for a big payday but I'd also question how seriously they're taking the games (even if subconsciously)

Nobody is saying that upsets dont happen when Team A beats team B it makes them a better team overall however you are making out like the Saudi players are pub league standard. Upsets dont happen on that level.

Clearly the main attraction is money however thats what the EPLs main attraction has been for the last 30 years. Do you think the likes of Jay Jay Ococha, Anelka or Dycorff (awful spelling) always dreamed of playing for Bolton?

Some Saudi clubs date back to rhe 1920s. Just because they dont have history that we know about doesnt mean that they dont have history.

Professional athletes are generally determined winners, thats part of the reason they made it pro so they wont be winding down. They will still want to win. To put it in context, outside of the Old Firm do you think any of the other Scottish teams could beat the top 6 Saudi teams? 

Jack Hendry will be playing with and against much better players than John Soutter every week but nobody bats an eye at his inclusion.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:25 AM, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Nisbet pulls out

Doesn't look like we are calling anyone up to replace otherwise I would have liked to have seen Plymouth striker Ryan Hardie given a chance to see what he can do in training to determine if he is cut out for international football. He's playing well and is the Scottish top goalscorer in the English championship just now. 

20 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Aymeric Laporte will be at the back for Spain tonight.

Thankfully he plays in the Saudi league now so Lyndon Dykes should have a field day against him… 

31 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Re: Jack Hendry, I think he’s a cracking player and has played a huge part in the up turn of our performances. He is lightning fast, great in the air and has a bit of fire about him. He can bring the ball out from the back and can also ping a pass. Brilliant for us. 

I agree, he’s been excellent for us and I’d think Hanley will struggle to get back into the team.

Really don't understand Hackneys thinking. He's 21 and still playing English championship. Theres going to be long term spot opening up in our first team once McGregor retires in a 2/3 years and hackney seems like the ideal replacement. 

Fair enough he wants to play for England but it's unlikely that he becomes a first team regular for them l.

22 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Really don't understand Hackneys thinking. He's 21 and still playing English championship. Theres going to be long term spot opening up in our first team once McGregor retires in a 2/3 years and hackney seems like the ideal replacement. 

Fair enough he wants to play for England but it's unlikely that he becomes a first team regular for them l.

Maybe he classes himself as English?