Scotland Squad - Spain and France discussion - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad - Spain and France discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Irrelevant, hes probably not going to be good enough for them.

Same as che Adams and Liam cooper. If he wants international football he needs to just accept it.

Maybe he only wants to play international football for what he classes as his country?  All hypothetical but if I'd been picked for the Scotland U21s and Northern Ireland wanted to give me a full cap (Grandad) I'd have said no.  We'd be applauding young Scottish players for doing similar to what Hackney is doing rather than just chasing a cap for the sake of international football for a country he possibly feels no affiliation to.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Maybe he only wants to play international football for what he classes as his country?  All hypothetical but if I'd been picked for the Scotland U21s and Northern Ireland wanted to give me a full cap (Grandad) I'd have said no.  We'd be applauding young Scottish players for doing similar to what Hackney is doing rather than just chasing a cap for the sake of international football for a country he possibly feels no affiliation to.

So when he doesn't make it with England he won't come crawling back to us as he only wants to play for England?

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

So when he doesn't make it with England he won't come crawling back to us as he only wants to play for England?

Maybe, maybe not but you’re talking as if you know that will already happen. In the here and now I can only respect a player holding out for what he classes as his country if that is indeed what he’s doing. If he decides at a later date he wants to use us as a back then that’s the time to criticise him and question his decisions but not when he’s doing exactly what we’d want any young Scottish player to do. 

Bold not intentional, hit it on my phone and can’t get it off! 🤦🏻‍♂️

34 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Taylor starting v France 🤢 grim. Shame Josh Doig isn’t available to fill in 

I doubt Doig would have been promoted from the U21s if he had been fit. Their qualifier is more important than a friendly against France and I think Taylor would be starting anyway. 

I would much rather have Robertson at LWB or LB obviously but Taylor did OK when he stepped in against Belgium (although it was 4 years ago now) so I’m not that concerned. We’ll likely get skelped tomorrow regardless of who plays on the left. 

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

It’s funny, we seem to have this knack of turning out great full backs when we struggle with strikers (and maybe keepers now).

What’s also funny is how often we are without 2 or 3 of them through injury.

Better to be without them now than at the start of the campaign or next June I suppose. 

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Taylor starting v France 🤢 grim. Shame Josh Doig isn’t available to fill in 

Taylor is playing every week. Doig isn't in a bog standard serie A team. His time wlll come but Taylor is ahead of him in merit and would start ahead of Doig even if he was called up.

Taylor has never let us down. 

Grim is how happy you are to talk our players down. 

• 2 weeks later...