Our qualifying group specifically...... - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our qualifying group specifically......

Big Ramy 1314

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping for a draw tomorrow. That second Spain goal was a heart sinker, we could've still won the group with a Spain win in Norway.

As it stands, even if Spain win (which will still be great) we're going to need to win our last two games to guarantee Pot 2 for the finals, so there will be plenty to play for.

I'm with Steve Clarke on this one. This result doesn't matter and we can't influence it anyway. Whatever result happens should be seen as a bonus for us. We already have 15 points in the bag and at least one of them must drop points on Sunday. A Spain win or a draw means we have qualified. A Norway win means we only need 4 points from our last two games to win the group. Win, win, win for us.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm with Steve Clarke on this one. This result doesn't matter and we can't influence it anyway. Whatever result happens should be seen as a bonus for us. We already have 15 points in the bag and at least one of them must drop points on Sunday. A Spain win or a draw means we have qualified. A Norway win means we only need 4 points from our last two games to win the group. Win, win, win for us.

If Norway beat Spain, then we go out all guns blazing against Georgia. 

From a dramatic, celebratory point of view, qualifying by beating  Georgia would probably be my preference. My nerves couldn't handle a final day showdown with Norway. 

I think we’ve gone soft after the start we’ve had.  The prospect of a home game v Norway just needing a win to top the group ahead of Spain and qualify for the Euros is something we would’ve bitten your hand off for when we were the first European team eliminated, or when we were getting beat in Georgia, Lithuania and Macedonia.  

2 hours ago, LoganRoy said:

Spain victory, means we're both qualified.  

Nothing else matters.  

Absolutely this especially with two of our best players probably being out for the remaining games. 

I took another look at the potential pots and I'm not that convinced it's going to make that much of a difference.

11 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I'm a shitebag and a cynic.   Just get us qualified.   If we top the group you know they'll give us Spain or Italy in the finals anyway 🙄

I wouldn't mind getting Spain. I don't think they are that good. Better than us, but they aren't one of the elite teams at the moment.

8 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I'm a shitebag and a cynic.   Just get us qualified.   If we top the group you know they'll give us Spain or Italy in the finals anyway 🙄

Would be ironic if we achieved Pot 1 and drew a big gun, but yeah always that chance.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I wouldn't mind getting Spain. I don't think they are that good. Better than us, but they aren't one of the elite teams at the moment.

As you say though, it might be nice to settle a score with the Spanish after this week.

Draw please! Then we can go to Georgia and exorcise some old demons then beat Norway who’ll be without Haaland as Man City won’t want him risking injury in meaningless games! That is the least we deserve after the injustices of Thursday night

Another shitebag here. Spain win please. Another unfortunate mistake like Hickey’s in Georgia being enough to grab them a 1-0 win , then having to play Norway after travel to and from Georgia. No thanks. Despite my continued optimism , there is still a fair chance we wont get beyond the group stages despite what pot we are in. 

I'm watching Georgia play Cyprus right now. Georgia are playing at home. We need not be worried about this Georgia team if this is anything to go on. Cyprus having the ball plenty in the final third. Kvaratskhelia isn't the type of player who can carry this team on his own and not having such a good year as last. 

13 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I'm watching Georgia play Cyprus right now. Georgia are playing at home. We need not be worried about this Georgia team if this is anything to go on. Cyprus having the ball plenty in the final third. Kvaratskhelia isn't the type of player who can carry this team on his own and not having such a good year as last. 

Yeah if Cyprus can get to half time at 0-0 in Georgia then we should really be looking to beat them comfortably. 

34 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

2-0 now. Still wouldn’t want to take our chances on going there to get a result.

No I’d rather have qualified by then as well but I have a feeling we will win over there this time. Won’t be easy but if we have already qualified we can relax and play with freedom. If we need a win it will be another story but I still fancy us. 

That Georgia vs Norway draw will be a really sore one for the Norwegians as they've been playing catch up since then. 

I don't think Georgia are as dangerous as they were when we lost to them but having watched the highlights, I don't really want to be going there needing a win to guarantee qualification. 

Hopefully Spain can do the business tonight and with Norway's poor defence, Morata should get loads of chances (as long as he manages to stay onside).

Not sure why anyone would prefer a Spain win, a draw sees us qualify. Norway would be 4 points behind us with only 1 game to play. That means if we win our last 2 games we’d win the group. Spain won’t slip up against Georgia or Cyprus so Norway would have nothing to play for on the last game against us. As another poster said, will Haaland be pulled out with an ‘injury’ by his club if it’s a meaningless game?

After winning 5/5 we have / had numerous ways to qualify

Losing to Spain And Norway winning v Cyprus were two opportunities gone.

Tonight is another and I don’t think Spain will loose to Norway, although I think Spain can be rattled under pressure, but hopefully we are confirmed qualified later tonight. I’m not overly obsessed with winning the group, we’d always have taken 2nd from the off.

Looking forward to watching it knowing we still have qualification opportunities to come, and fired a tenner on Norway at 7/2 to get some satisfaction from the result we want don’t happen tonight 

Edited by Stockholm 1980

If I'm following correctly a draw would be the best result but a Spain win definitely would qualify us.

So I'll say right now I would happily take Spain 3 nil up in the first half, and going into the last ten minutes, and not a tense 0-0 with Haaland hovering.