England Squad - Do we have anything to fear? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Squad - Do we have anything to fear?

N4Footsoldier

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing like applying a bit of logic to upset the tartan army.  How many of our players would make the England first 11?  Contrast that with the teams of the 60s and 70s where you could argue that on paper we were close to parity with England.

England have a decent chance of winning the Euros next year.

35 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

nothing like applying a bit of logic to upset the tartan army.  How many of our players would make the England first 11?  Contrast that with the teams of the 60s and 70s where you could argue that on paper we were close to parity with England.

You’re gonna be eating humble pie when we beat England next week Malcolm

The English are fine , just like us they’re led predominantly by donkeys. Steve Clark is the key to allowing the squad to show their talent. 
i don’t know if England have that leadership. They certainly have the players but historically prefer home tournaments and all the benefits that come with that . A level playing field isn’t for them .

41 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

You couldn’t quite bring yourself to say ‘better than England.’ We certainly were in the 70s, that’s not up for debate.

46 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

You really do not know football very well. Would any of Wimbledon's Crazy Gang made it into the Liverpool side of 1988? No. Remind me who won the FA Cup Final between Liverpool and Wimbledon that year.

When Greece won the Euros none of their players could have made it into Spain or Germany or France's side of that time. What happened there then?

Remind me how England thrashed Scotland at the last Euros? Oh that is right they were lucky to get a draw.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

58 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You really do not know football very well. Would any of Wimbledon's Crazy Gang made it into the Liverpool side of 1988? No. Remind me who won the FA Cup Final between Liverpool and Wimbledon that year.

When Greece won the Euros none of their players could have made it into Spain or Germany or France's side of that time. What happened there then?

Remind me how England thrashed Scotland at the last Euros? Oh that is right they were lucky to get a draw.

Denmark 92 also 

They have some excellent players, especially Bellingham who looks like he's going be a future ballon d'or winner.

For me, France and England have the strongest squads in Europe so it'll be tough but they're also beatable and the fact it's a friendly might take the edge off and it might not be played with the same intensity which should suit Scotland.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Don't bite

Malcolm is one of the most ignorant posters on here. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

You’re gonna be eating humble pie when we beat England next week Malcolm

no I won’t, I will be delighted.  If you look at my original post I said that England were far superior on paper but we are playing well.  There is a decent chance we can get a result.

looks like some people are getting their knickers in a twist about the phrase “far superior”, which on paper they are.

1 hour ago, Daz1982 said:

You couldn’t quite bring yourself to say ‘better than England.’ We certainly were in the 70s, that’s not up for debate.

there were spells in the 70s where you could argue we had a better first 11.  England still had good players even though the didn’t qualify for major tournaments.  There is no debate that our achievements in that decade were better.  we took a couple of five goal beatings that decade. Cant recall who won most of the head to heads, but I am guessing about even - from memory we won in 74, 76, 77 but lost in 73, 75, 78 and 79. 

25 minutes ago, JandC said:

They have some excellent players, especially Bellingham who looks like he's going be a future ballon d'or winner.

For me, France and England have the strongest squads in Europe so it'll be tough but they're also beatable and the fact it's a friendly might take the edge off and it might not be played with the same intensity which should suit Scotland.

agree with all of this.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

anything’s possible in a one off game, we are talking about likely outcomes.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

anything’s possible in a one off game, we are talking about likely outcomes.

Well the Euros are not a one-off game and Greece and Denmark won them with by no means the strongest sides. Teamwork is the phrase/term you have not tapped into at all. Teams can have all the talent in the world but without organisation, tactics and great teamwork it gets you nowhere.

You really do yourself no favours. No peep out of you regarding our winning run (the best of ANY team in Europe including England) and only choose to comment on a thread loosely concerning England. Go try and post up about how well we are doing (it may hurt) but it sure beats purely posting up to talk up England - reserve that patter for the Three Lions Message Board.

24 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well the Euros are not a one-off game and Greece and Denmark won them with by no means the strongest sides. Teamwork is the phrase/term you have not tapped into at all. Teams can have all the talent in the world but without organisation, tactics and great teamwork it gets you nowhere.

You really do yourself no favours. No peep out of you regarding our winning run (the best of ANY team in Europe including England) and only choose to comment on a thread loosely concerning England. Go try and post up about how well we are doing (it may hurt) but it sure beats purely posting up to talk up England - reserve that patter for the Three Lions Message Board.

👏👏

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

don’t disagree with you at all about the first paragraph.  I loved the way the Italians set themselves out as organised, defencive teams. It’s another aspect. My original post reads clearly related to the talent available.

by no means do I consider myself a massive Scotland fan, but I go to most home games and been to a couple of tournaments. I post whatever I feel like commenting on and it doesn’t bother me what people think.

It amuses me that people here think I am a no voting rangers fan that supports England, as that’s what people here like to believe the stereotype is.  Good guys = non rangers fan, supports Indy, massive Scotland fan, wear a kilt to the game.  Bad guys = rangers supporter, loves england, doesn’t care about Scotland, votes no and has a picture of the queen up 😂

Just now, Malcolm said:

don’t disagree with you at all about the first paragraph.  I loved the way the Italians set themselves out as organised, defencive teams. It’s another aspect. My original post reads clearly related to the talent available.

by no means do I consider myself a massive Scotland fan, but I go to most home games and been to a couple of tournaments. I post whatever I feel like commenting on and it doesn’t bother me what people think.

It amuses me that people here think I am a no voting rangers fan that supports England, as that’s what people here like to believe the stereotype is.  Good guys = non rangers fan, supports Indy, massive Scotland fan, wear a kilt to the game.  Bad guys = rangers supporter, loves england, doesn’t care about Scotland, votes no and has a picture of the queen up 😂

You see you just feed the stereotypes though. I'll bet there are loads of Rangers fans with their head in their hands at your posts as you cannot help but allow your mask to slip. If people think you are a no voting Rangers fan etc etc ask yourself why they think that is? The problem lies within your posts and nature of those posts. Like I said I have read nothing from you on the match threads or build-up threads to talk about how well we (Scotland) have been doing despite us being on the best winning streak in Europe. Instead you creep along to a thread concerning England and choose to argue about how good England are. Do you not think that is odd behaviour for one who claims to support Scotland?

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

How many Hungarian players would make the England starting 11?

33 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

England have called him up in the past even though he had never proved himself in the top flight, so nowhere near the England squad is pushing it.

Pretty sure he was getting games in the epl at that point and was considered a young upcoming keeper who had potential. 

Theres no chance he gets near the england squad currently.