Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you'd have asked me a couple of months ago which one out of Anderson and Hackney would be more likely to switch to England I'd have said Anderson - he's younger than Hackney and he's playing at a higher level.

I'm disappointed because we have a dearth of good defensive midfielders but outwith that I just find his decision a bit bizarre. Another good season for Middlesbrough and he'd have been a strong candidate for our senior squad. But hey, if he'd rather be 22 and playing U21 football instead then it's his life, I suppose.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

If you'd have asked me a couple of months ago which one out of Anderson and Hackney would be more likely to switch to England I'd have said Anderson - he's younger than Hackney and he's playing at a higher level.

I'm disappointed because we have a dearth of good defensive midfielders but outwith that I just find his decision a bit bizarre. Another good season for Middlesbrough and he'd have been a strong candidate for our senior squad. But hey, if he'd rather be 22 and playing U21 football instead then it's his life, I suppose.

Think its probably more to do with lack of options they have in central mid. Kalvin phillips and Jordan Henderson are in current squad due to lack of younger players or players with regular game time in EPL pushing them out. 

5 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Think its probably more to do with lack of options they have in central mid. Kalvin phillips and Jordan Henderson are in current squad due to lack of younger players or players with regular game time in EPL pushing them out. 

England have Rice and Bellingham who will play the next 10 years in that position. Phillips will be ahead of him even if he is only a bit part player at City. 

England has a conveyor belt for every positon. Id be very confident in saying that Hackney never getting a cap for England. 

Unlike the Anderson situation where many were judging him on what they believe rather than his actions, Hackney has gone into the black book. 

15 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

England have Rice and Bellingham who will play the next 10 years in that position. Phillips will be ahead of him even if he is only a bit part player at City. 

England has a conveyor belt for every positon. Id be very confident in saying that Hackney never getting a cap for England. 

Unlike the Anderson situation where many were judging him on what they believe rather than his actions, Hackney has gone into the black book. 

I agree. England, and I say this with great sadness, have an exceptional squad. Hackney is up against:

Jordan Henderson (33), 77 caps - Some Saudi club [will probably drop out soon]

Declan Rice (24), 43 caps - Arsenal

Kalvin Phillips (27), 27 caps - Man City

Jude Bellingham (20), 24 caps - Real Madrid 

Mason Mount (24), 36 caps - Man United

Conor Gallagher (23), 7 caps - Chelsea

James Ward-Prowse (28), 11 caps - West Ham

James McAtee (20), uncapped - Man City

Arguably, depending on where in midfield he plays, also James Maddison, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish and Harvey Elliot. Coming behind there are guys like Lewis Miley at Newcastle, Archie Gray at Leeds (fingers crossed he is competing to get in the Scotland squad sooner or later) and Jobe Bellingham. Obviously they don't all play in the exact same way or position as Hackney, but with the money England have invested over the last 15-20 years I think they are becoming an absolute conveyor belt of world class talent.

I just struggle to see where Hackney, who looks like he could be a really good but not absolutely exceptional EPL level player fits? I can't see him being any more than occasional squad filler, if even that.

12 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I agree. England, and I say this with great sadness, have an exceptional squad. Hackney is up against:

Arguably, depending on where in midfield he plays, also James Maddison, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish and Harvey Elliot. Coming behind there are guys like Lewis Miley at Newcastle, Archie Gray at Leeds (fingers crossed he is competing to get in the Scotland squad sooner or later) and Jobe Bellingham. Obviously they don't all play in the exact same way or position as Hackney, but with the money England have invested over the last 15-20 years I think they are becoming an absolute conveyor belt of world class talent.

I just struggle to see where Hackney, who looks like he could be a really good but not absolutely exceptional EPL level player fits? I can't see him being any more than occasional squad filler, if even that.

You do know this is a Scotland fan forum? He has made his choice. F.. k him. 😝😅

32 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

The Scotland midfield is also very difficult to break into. We were in far greater need of an attacking player. I’d much rather have Anderson than Hackney. Hackney did nothing in our u21s. 

25 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The Scotland midfield is also very difficult to break into. We were in far greater need of an attacking player. I’d much rather have Anderson than Hackney. Hackney did nothing in our u21s. 

It is, although clearly not as strong as England’s. It’s quite possible though that he watched a few games of Lennon Miller and thought over the long term he has more chance with England 😜

3 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Fuck knows what hes thinking. He has a really good season with Middlesbrough  then he would have had a good chance of going to germany with us. Now he will have the stink of betrayal if he decides to switch back. 

He's not going to get in the england squad anytime soon.

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Fuck knows what hes thinking. He has a really good season with Middlesbrough  then he would have had a good chance of going to germany with us. Now he will have the stink of betrayal if he decides to switch back. 

He's not going to get in the england squad anytime soon.

Maybe he's decided he's English and only wants to play for them?

Assuming no dropouts, this is the team I'd go with v Cyprus:

Gunn

Hendry McKenna Tierney 

Patterson                        Robertson

Gilmour McGregor

McTominay McGinn

Dykes

Controversial picking Patterson over Hickey, but with the amount of attacking we'll hopefully be doing, Patterson just shades it. I'd bring Hickey back in for England.

Centre back is actually incredibly difficult to choose. I'd happily play Souttar and Porteous in there. Hanley and Cooper could easily be in there if fit, too. 

That's got to be the strongest midfield we've had in many years.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Gunn

Hendry McKenna Tierney 

Gilmour McGregor

McTominay McGinn

Dykes

Controversial picking Patterson over Hickey, but with the amount of attacking we'll hopefully be doing, Patterson just shades it. I'd bring Hickey back in for England.

Centre back is actually incredibly difficult to choose. I'd happily play Souttar and Porteous in there. Hanley and Cooper could easily be in there if fit, too. 

Decent selection but Dykes who hasn't played for nearly a month over Adams🤔

2 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Decent selection but Dykes who hasn't played for nearly a month over Adams🤔

True. I had just watched that video of the 2 Norway goals, so that almost certainly swayed my decision. It would probably be more sensible to play Adams for this game, at least. Though I probably prefer Dykes, in general.

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Gunn

Hendry McKenna Tierney 

Gilmour McGregor

McTominay McGinn

Dykes

Swap Dykes for Adams and I'd be happy with that line up.  I doubt Clarke will go that way as it would be very harsh dropping Hickey as you say. It'd be harsh dropping Porteous too but I don't think he starts ahead of McKenna when fit and on form. I also think Christie will start

How I think he'll go:

Gunn

Hendry McKenna Tierney 

Hickey                                Robertson

McTominay McGregor

Christie   McGinn

Adams

I cant see Clarke going with anything other than McGreggor, Gilmour, McTomminay and McGinn as the midfield 4. Its the perfect balance and allows ua to control the game and play on the front foot.

I think Hickey is by far the better defender but I would also go with Patterson for this game. We need attacking play and Patterson offers abit more in that regard. If we managed to get a cpl of goals id then take him off for Hickey.