Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Can't wait to become the England reject national team

Being honest, out of all the eligible players at Newcastle (Anderson, Targett, Livramento etc) Harvey Barnes is the only one we could call up and slip him straight into the first team (would basically be a straight swap for Christie) all the rest would need to wait, and even then, the way he is going he would just be keeping the shirt warm for Doak.

Anderson is a odd one, as I just can not see him breaking into the team any time soon, and if I looked at our team and had to pick who he is replacing, it would be McGregor, and even then he will still have a 2-3 year wait.

Edited by wanderer

38 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Being honest, out of all the eligible players at Newcastle (Anderson, Targett, Livramento etc) Harvey Barnes is the only one we could call up and slip him straight into the first team (would basically be a straight swap for Christie) all the rest would need to wait, and even then, the way he is going he would just be keeping the shirt warm for Doak.

Anderson is a odd one, as I just can not see him breaking into the team any time soon, and if I looked at our team and had to pick who he is replacing, it would be McGregor, and even then he will still have a 2-3 year wait.

would love to see a list if it existed of the players born outside of scotland eligible for us - not that im suggesting we call them all up just would be interesting to see, the ones that spring to mind that are eligble are Steele, Livramento, Fredricks, Barnes, Gordon, Grant, Targett - as you so many of them not an upgrade on what we have 

44 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Anderson is nothing like McGregor. He’s an attacker in the Ross Barkley mould. I think there is a lot more to come from him, he has great feet and is a very strong lad. 
Doak will be next, and I think next season Rory Wilson will get in. 

56 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Anderson is nothing like McGregor. He’s an attacker in the Ross Barkley mould. I think there is a lot more to come from him, he has great feet and is a very strong lad. 
Doak will be next, and I think next season Rory Wilson will get in. 

Ross Barkley mould!Let's hope not. 😋😂😂

2 hours ago, theabsentee said:

🤣 He isn't even 21 yet & your calling him a reject, get a grip mate.

Just try to be happy we've got a exciting young player who had options commit to us.

He's only committing as he knows he's got me chance of playing for England. Simple as that. Wee wage boost for his next contract if he's an international 

5 minutes ago, Kirk said:

He's only committing as he knows he's got me chance of playing for England. Simple as that. Wee wage boost for his next contract if he's an international 

Who knows what's gone through his head but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and he's most welcome as far as I'm concerned. He has the potential to be a very good player. Well done to Steve Clarke for getting him on board.

20 minutes ago, Kirk said:

The thing that irks me a bit is he played for Scotland youth teams but still wanted to try his hand at getting in the England squad. If he played for the Scotland youths he should have been committed to us. 

6 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

The thing that irks me a bit is he played for Scotland youth teams but still wanted to try his hand at getting in the England squad. If he played for the Scotland youths he should have been committed to us. 

I'm not sure asking a 15 year old to declare their allegiance is the right way to go.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not sure asking a 15 year old to declare their allegiance is the right way to go.

He wasn’t 15 though this was in the last campaign. Clarke was going to pick Anderson but he said Anderson wanted to try his luck with England and that’s why he wasn’t picked. 

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

He wasn’t 15 though this was in the last campaign. Clarke was going to pick Anderson but he said Anderson wanted to try his luck with England and that’s why he wasn’t picked. 

To be honest I'm not going to get into this debate any further. He's playing for us and he's a good player. Happy days

3 hours ago, romanticscot said:

This is a larger squad than I was expecting, but I'm glad we are calling up 25. It's good for continuity when you have players being coached in how we play. This is a strong squad, and although I get behind any who are called up we really could do with a quality striker. Adams is hardly prolific, Dykes suits us to a T(Tea, Ti,Tee??) But Shankland and Nisbet are different types. 

A bit odd that he didn't just go for the full 26 man squad, which I assume is what it'll be for the Euros? Possibly because the 26th spot is definitely going to go to Doak, but knows he isn't quite ready for this international break... (massive stretch there 😋)

29 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Exactly second choice as per 

23 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Why most people know their nationality from a very young age it's no difficult.

9 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Usual racists posting their poisonous shite, grown men ffs. Let’s all get behind the team and welcome these players, mon the jocks

Hardly racist wanting Scottish folk to play for the national team and to not be someone's second choice. 

Just now, Kirk said:

Hardly racist wanting Scottish folk to play for the national team and to not be someone's second choice. 

Not true. Kids born in one country but parents from another could be conflicted.

15 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Absolute pish. He made a choice to play for us. You reckon this kid wouldn’t back himself to be good enough to play for England when he’s starting to get game time aged 21 for one of the top teams currently in England. That would be a pretty weird attitude. 

Do folk not realise that when Scots go and live in England, they bring their kids up to be proud of their Scottish roots? This runs deep. He asked for some time to think about it, as did McTominay. He chose us when he could have waited to see. It’s not like he’s 27 and realised that England are never coming calling.

Deary me

15 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Absolute pish. He made a choice to play for us. You reckon this kid wouldn’t back himself to be good enough to play for England when he’s starting to get game time aged 21 for one of the top teams currently in England. That would be a pretty weird attitude. 

Do folk not realise that when Scots go and live in England, they bring their kids up to be proud of their Scottish roots? This runs deep. He asked for some time to think about it, as did McTominay. He chose us when he could have waited to see. It’s not like he’s 27 and realised that England are never coming calling.

Deary me

Spot on. 21 year old EPL first team player at one of world’s richest clubs chooses Scotland and people think he’s not committed. He could have hedged his bets and chosen nobody for the next 3 years, but he didn’t. 

43 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Usual racists posting their poisonous shite, grown men ffs. Let’s all get behind the team and welcome these players, mon the jocks

Sad but predictable, unfortunately. You'd think someone who's good enough to play for a top EPL side deciding he also wants to play for Scotland would be universally welcomed, but I guess for some parochialism is more important than actually having a good team that qualifies for things.

Fuck that though. Much better to have a side full of average SPFL and English Championship players. Aye, we'd be finishing fourth in qualifying groups and sacking the manager every two years again, but at least we wouldn't be the eNgLAnD b TeAm!!!!1!!

32 minutes ago, Kirk said:

He's as Scottish as plenty of others who either play for us or have in the past. He's also as Scottish as some people who support the team.

He's played age group level football for us on plenty of occasions too, so I don't think it's fair to say we're his second choice.