Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

9 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Absolute pish. He made a choice to play for us. You reckon this kid wouldn’t back himself to be good enough to play for England when he’s starting to get game time aged 21 for one of the top teams currently in England. That would be a pretty weird attitude. 

Do folk not realise that when Scots go and live in England, they bring their kids up to be proud of their Scottish roots? This runs deep. He asked for some time to think about it, as did McTominay. He chose us when he could have waited to see. It’s not like he’s 27 and realised that England are never coming calling.

Deary me

Aren’t his parents English and he qualifies via a grandparent?

I’m not that bothered either way, them the rules etc and as long as gives it his all. 

In saying that I do find it a bit weird someone wants to play for us despite growing up in England to English parents but then I’m not a professional footballer and looking at through the lens of a fan. Maybe he’s always supported us but then why play for England?

Edited by ParisInAKilt

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Absolute pish. He made a choice to play for us. You reckon this kid wouldn’t back himself to be good enough to play for England when he’s starting to get game time aged 21 for one of the top teams currently in England. That would be a pretty weird attitude. 

Do folk not realise that when Scots go and live in England, they bring their kids up to be proud of their Scottish roots? This runs deep. He asked for some time to think about it, as did McTominay. He chose us when he could have waited to see. It’s not like he’s 27 and realised that England are never coming calling.

Deary me

👏👏👏

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:In saying that I do find it a bit weird someone wants to play for us despite growing up in England to English parents but then I’m not a professional footballer and looking at through the lens of a fan. Maybe he’s always supported us but then why play for England?

I'd think there may be lots of variables in play. The guy may well have a 'dual' sense of his nationality. There might be quite the banter in his family. It might be cynical going back to youth levels and he couldn't get a sniff for England. Or he grew up supporting Scotland 🤷🏻‍♂️ We just don't know until, and if, he decides to talk about it. 

10 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

What a pathetic narrow minded bunch some Scotland supporters are. Anderson played for us at youth level from U16 all the way through, he played once I believe for England U19s and after that played once for our U21s. He then asked for some time to concentrate on getting into the Newcastle team (something similar to what Hickey did and get slaughtered for). 

People on here couldnt wait to tear into him, stating what he thought even though he had never said or done anything to inform them. Saying that he was going to wait years and then when he never broke into the England team probably come play for us. When he then has choosen us at pretty much the earliest opportunity after breaking into the Newcastle squad all of a sudden the same people are saying its because he has assessed his options and concluded that he isnt good enough for England so will just play for us.

How about he wanted to concentrate on getting into the team and now he has he wants to play for us. This would be backed up by the FACT that he has played for us since he was young.

Its total nonsence that he has looked at the England team and decided he isnt good enough. He is highly regarded at Newcastle and in England. There is not 1 English player who he wouldnt have known about a year ago but would be aware of now. If anything the fact he has now broken into the Newcastle team would strengthen the argument for potentially being good enough for England compared to a year ago.

Now things could change, he might do a total 180 and play for England but lets stop with England reject / B team nonsence. He has picked us first because he wants to play for Scotland more than anybody else. 

Very well summed up but sadly there's a few on here that don't seem capable of digesting what your saying.

They prefer to think that a 20 year old who's good enough to play at the highest level in club football think's I better commit to my grandparents country( a team thats never played at the top level of international football for 25 years!) as I'm obviously not good enough to play for the country of my birth.

It's quite worrying some folk think that's the reality 🥴

Huge respect for Clarke & his team for playing their part in convincing such a young player to commit to us🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🩷💪

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

Sad but predictable, unfortunately. You'd think someone who's good enough to play for a top EPL side deciding he also wants to play for Scotland would be universally welcomed, but I guess for some parochialism is more important than actually having a good team that qualifies for things.

Fuck that though. Much better to have a side full of average SPFL and English Championship players. Aye, we'd be finishing fourth in qualifying groups and sacking the manager every two years again, but at least we wouldn't be the eNgLAnD b TeAm!!!!1!!

He's as Scottish as plenty of others who either play for us or have in the past. He's also as Scottish as some people who support the team.

He's played age group level football for us on plenty of occasions too, so I don't think it's fair to say we're his second choice.

👏👏

16 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Anderson is nothing like McGregor. He’s an attacker in the Ross Barkley mould. I think there is a lot more to come from him, he has great feet and is a very strong lad. 
Doak will be next, and I think next season Rory Wilson will get in. 

I do not mean like-for-like replacement, simply who is going to step aside for him....

McT and McGinn are 100% starters, so you can discount them, Gilmour is kind of in the same boat and probably will make himself a shoo-in going forward now he has a starting place at Brighton and his off the field issues are behind him.

That kind of leaves only McGregor, and to do that would upset the balance for of the team (plus McGregor still has a couple more years left in him).

Short term I do not think Clarke has gave Anderson any kind of assurances, and he will have to just wait his turn (which says that Clarke is looking beyond the Euros)

16 hours ago, borojock said:

would love to see a list if it existed of the players born outside of scotland eligible for us - not that im suggesting we call them all up just would be interesting to see, the ones that spring to mind that are eligble are Steele, Livramento, Fredricks, Barnes, Gordon, Grant, Targett - as you so many of them not an upgrade on what we have 

Out of all of them, Barnes is probably the only one you could say would be an upgrade of what we have at the moment, but Christie can have his moments for Scotland, so its not really all that pressing.

Livramento is probably the most curious one, as it was him that made it known that he was eligible, which makes it intriguing, but saying that, its the Tierney-Robbo conundrum swapped to the right-side how do we accommodate him, Hickey and Patterson, so while would be a excellent player to have, we already have just as good (rumors are Pep is a massive fan of Hickey, and apparently keeping tabs on him to make sure City get first dibs on him)

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m not that bothered either way, them the rules etc and as long as gives it his all. 

In saying that I do find it a bit weird someone wants to play for us despite growing up in England to English parents but then I’m not a professional footballer and looking at through the lens of a fan. Maybe he’s always supported us but then why play for England?

There are obvious variables with regards to how people view the national side. For me the national team is very much a part of my identity and I am fiercely proud and protective of it, it's very personal, it's part of me. For others it's just a football team they support and want to win at all costs, don't care as long as they're eligible etc etc.
Whilst I understand the eligibility rules doesn't mean I like them, and I certainly don't (especially when you have independent association status you really need to be careful with) but also you have to take into consideration that this is part of the player's career and that comes with much different considerations to the one's we have. I don't like it when a player "chooses" to play for Scotland, that jersey is sacred to me, to us, and I don't like to think that it's a second choice for anyone. If it is I'd much rather they didn't "choose" to make themselves available for us, if you're no good enough to play for your own country then...  but then there's sod all we can do about it, the manager's always going to use the rules to our sporting advantage as that's his job and tbh, I can't imagine many of us booing any player who gives their all.

One thing is for sure, we're in the majority a friendly bunch and once all the dust settles and we've stopped moaning about him being English I think the fella's in for a very eye opening welcome, pretty soon he's going to be coming over all Scottish and (unless he's an arsehole) once he's got used to us he's going to love every minute! 

14 hours ago, dan cake said:

Usual racists posting their poisonous shite, grown men ffs. Let’s all get behind the team and welcome these players, mon the jocks

Suggesting that someone is racist for not wanting an English player playing for the Scotland national team is moronic, have a word with yourself. If that's what you think then do you think international football should be banned for racism? 

13 hours ago, scotlad said:

Sad but predictable, unfortunately. You'd think someone who's good enough to play for a top EPL side deciding he also wants to play for Scotland would be universally welcomed, but I guess for some parochialism is more important than actually having a good team that qualifies for things.

Fuck that though. Much better to have a side full of average SPFL and English Championship players. Aye, we'd be finishing fourth in qualifying groups and sacking the manager every two years again, but at least we wouldn't be the eNgLAnD b TeAm!!!!1!!

He's as Scottish as plenty of others who either play for us or have in the past. He's also as Scottish as some people who support the team.

He's played age group level football for us on plenty of occasions too, so I don't think it's fair to say we're his second choice.

Suggesting someone is racist for not wanting an English player playing for the national side is plain stupid. We are completely entitled not to agree with the eligibilty rules and to express an opinion on it. There's nothing we can do about it and the manager will use the rules to our sporting advantage, it's his job, but to be proud and protective of the national side is not some kind of ethnic racism, it's our national team and we support it because it belongs to us.

As I said in a previous post once all the dust settles and we've stopped moaning he'll get all the support the rest of the team gets but there is a point of principle here and we have a right to express it. 

4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I am only throwing out a possibility here so don't think I believe this to be fact, his Dad may have strong connections to scotland via his Elliots mum. Its quite common down here

I know one girls who has a string surrey accent and only spent her childhood holidays in scotland but she cheers scotland on in every sport, she even had a scottish themed wedding. Shes very proud of her families roots. 

12 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Wheres your evidence to suggest this? Are you trying to say that England have only wanted him for one U19 cap since he was 15. He has been highly regarded for years apparently but has always played for us. 

If he wanted to play for them then he would have every chance should he become a regular for Newcastle which he has every chance of doing. He is certainly no worse than Harvey Barnes from what ive seen. If he had waited 3 years from now to make a decision id maybe agree with you but he hasnt. There was the same talk about McTominay at the time he was about to make his decision.

To answer your question. Ive got no idea who his 1st choice is but the evidence suggests us. Its nothing like Gunn or Adams who waited until later in their careers. Its much more like McTominay, McGeady and McCarthy who all made the decision early.

Perfectly summed up👌 The news of this yesterday made my day & we should all be happy & celebrating as Scotland have just called up what could be a game changing player for us in the future.

With Doak & hopefully a few others to come soon there's plenty reasons to be cheerful but sadly some Scottish just don't seem capable🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🩷

This one's for you Kirk & The Saint

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Surely if he has a Scottish grandparent he also has at least one Scottish parent 🤔

11 hours ago, stocky said:

Sorry, McCaughey, I wasn't getting at you personally.

I have no idea why some people on here get such a hard on about Gauld, 

He's not picked for Scotland cos people that know more about football than you and me, don't pick him

There is a reason for that.

He's also not playing in a top league because people that know more about football than you and me don't fancy him.

Today's squad announcement is a positive announcement and we have folk complaining so and so isn't picked, 

This squad is the best this century, I believe, and should only get better.

10 goals and 8 assists in the last 14 games. What more do you expect from him. Mls is probably overall a higher standard than the spl. He was also playing well in portugal before he left. 

Can you name any players that should be ahead of him that didn't make the squad? 

I cant think of any. 

I actually wasnt that bothered if gauld made the squad until recently but his form is that impressive that i really think he deserves a shot. 

If we go down the path of discarding our opinions because certain ppl know more than us then we might as well not discuss anything to do with football or most other topics. 

I have full faith in clarke and his decisions but that doesnt mean hes always correct or always choosing the right line up or squad. 

As i said the squads pretty much what i expected and I agree with his selections with one exception being gauld.

2 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Suggesting that someone is racist for not wanting an English player playing for the Scotland national team is moronic, have a word with yourself. If that's what you think then do you think international football should be banned for racism? 

Spot on. Moronic doesn't do it justice. Makes no sense in the context of INTERNATIONAL football. If you try and go down that road then the obvious conclusion is you think international football is by it's very nature racist. 🤔🤔

20 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Spot on. Moronic doesn't do it justice. Makes no sense in the context of INTERNATIONAL football. If you try and go down that road then the obvious conclusion is you think international football is by it's very nature racist. 🤔🤔

Yes but lets look at the history here. Scotland are not alone here. Every country in the world has played a player eligible to play for them through a parent/grandparent but was not born in that country. Scotland were doing it certainly in the 1970s and I am sure before that too.

If people don't want or can't accept that then they should just stick to club football as nothing is going to change. In a way it is akin to cycling when new tech came into use like carbon-fibre bikes or the skin tight costumes you either used that tech or you lose as they were advantageous - the same goes for the parent/Grandparent role. We don't use it and we will fall further behind the other nations that do and FIFA/UEFA are not dolling out bonus points for countries who do not use the grandparent rule.

I know of own family members who were born in England and have lived there all their lives but brought up by a Scottish father and for it they support Scotland and been to Scotland games and have a sense of Scottish identity. I guarantee too that there are Scots born and brought up here in Scotland who think Scotland are meh and have no interest in the national side. I know who I would sooner have playing or us in those examples and it would not be the born and bred Scots with no passion for Scotland.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes but lets look at the history here. Scotland are not alone here. Every country in the world has played a player eligible to play for them through a parent/grandparent but was not born in that country. Scotland were doing it certainly in the 1970s and I am sure before that too.

If people don't want or can't accept that then they should just stick to club football as nothing is going to change. In a way it is akin to cycling when new tech came into use like carbon-fibre bikes or the skin tight costumes you either used that tech or you lose as they were advantageous - the same goes for the parent/Grandparent role. We don't use it and we will fall further behind the other nations that do and FIFA/UEFA are not dolling out bonus points for countries who do not use the grandparent rule.

I know of own family members who were born in England and have lived there all their lives but brought up by a Scottish father and for it they support Scotland and been to Scotland games and have a sense of Scottish identity. I guarantee too that there are Scots born and brought up here in Scotland who think Scotland are meh and have no interest in the national side. I know who I would sooner have playing or us in those examples and it would not be the born and bred Scots with no passion for Scotland.

All well and good but the idea that somebody who want's Scottish born players to represent Scotland are racist is ridiculous. You might not agree with them but that doesn't make you right but just somebody with a different opinion. In fact i would turn your point that folk that don't like it should stick to club football on it's head and suggest those that don't like the nationalistic side of international football should certainly stick to club football where place of birth doesn't come into it. 

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

... I guarantee too that there are Scots born and brought up here in Scotland who think Scotland are meh and have no interest in the national side. I know who I would sooner have playing or us in those examples and it would not be the born and bred Scots with no passion for Scotland.

Ryan Fraser springs to mind

20 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Anderson is nothing like McGregor. He’s an attacker in the Ross Barkley mould. I think there is a lot more to come from him, he has great feet and is a very strong lad. 
Doak will be next, and I think next season Rory Wilson will get in. 

I think next season for Wilson is a tad optimistic. Currently playing under 18 club football and not named in today’s Scotland under 21 squad 

39 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I guarantee too that there are Scots born and brought up here in Scotland who think Scotland are meh and have no interest in the national side.

I was at a Q&A with a member of our Euro 96 and WC98 squads, and he said the must enthusiastic member of the squad was Scot Gemmill, and was putting a number of the Scottish born players noses out of joint that Craig Brown was always using him as the bench mark to get points across about showing a bit of passion when it came to the national team.

29 minutes ago, thesaint said:

All well and good but the idea that somebody who want's Scottish born players to represent Scotland are racist is ridiculous. You might not agree with them but that doesn't make you right but just somebody with a different opinion. In fact i would turn your point that folk that don't like it should stick to club football on it's head and suggest those that don't like the nationalistic side of international football should certainly stick to club football where place of birth doesn't come into it. 

I wasn't the one to bring out the racist card.

Anyway like I said the grandparent rule has been in use in international football for god knows how long. Scotland and many others countries have had players representing them not born in that said country. Even as far back as the 1970s who went to World Cups and played a big part in getting Scotland there. Also the grandparent rule is going nowhere and is certainly NOT an infraction of any rules. If you think Scotland should scrap selecting players not born here to ease your conscience then I think there would be a very good chance, with our limited resources, that we'd never qualify for another major tournament again. Using the cycling again as an example us without using grandparent rule against other countries using the rule would place us on a penny farthing racing against the latest hi-tech bikes - no chance of competing.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Here is ma take. I wish we had 11 born and bred Scots who listen to Runrig, eat porridge oats, and drink buckfast... on our squad, but sadly that's not the case anymore. Every other country in the world is doing it, so why should we be any different. Elliott Anderson has decided to play for Scotland, whether it's because he couldnae get a game for engerland, I huvnae a monkeys funky. He is a quality player, so I will support this. We have a squad now that I believe can qualify for every tournament we enter, and I quite enjoy that. Young Scottish supporters deserve to see their country play in a world tournament, so let's put the best eligible 11 on the park and have a go... Alba Guy Brath.....