Ukraine v Scotland - discussion - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ukraine v Scotland - discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Hickey is now the best player in our squad. He has to start every game. I'm not too fussy which position he plays. I think he is a complete footballer who could play in just about any position. And anybody who can't see how important Callum McGregor is to this team isn't worth listening to.

1 minute ago, exile said:

Let's not forget, we were without Robertson and Gilmour, who not so long ago would have been throught indispensible guys to build a team around

And Tierney...

[That was meant to be an edit]

Edited by exile

What an epic performance. Considering the decimation of the squad then to go there and dig out a 0-0 is superb.

Ryan Porteous take a bow - we have found another option in the centre of defence. Hickey was immense too. Again nobody can be criticised tonight.

I was surprised as there were only a couple of brief spells when we were under the cosh but no more than that. For me we played the better football on the deck too.

This result now shows we have real strength in depth. 

The rewards for this result are immense. League A, guaranteed play-off for the Euros and guaranteed Pot 2.

I thought Ukraine lacked belief tonight for me. What a night for us though.

Just now, Orraloon said:

I think Hickey is now the best player in our squad. He has to start every game. I'm not too fussy which position he plays. I think he is a complete footballer who could play in just about any position. And anybody who can't see how important Callum McGregor is to this team isn't worth listening to.

Its very close between him Patterson at RB. Remember a couple of years back when RB was our problem position? Mental how things can change so quickly. 

1 minute ago, exile said:

Let's not forget, we were without Robertson and Gilmour, who not so long ago would have been throught indispensible guys to build a team around

Robertson will struggle to get back into the team if Tierney is fit. Or at least he should. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Its very close between him Patterson at RB. Remember a couple of years back when RB was our problem position? Mental how things can change so quickly. 

Depending how Ramsay progresses at liverpool, we could be sorted for the next 10-12 years. 

Absolutely superb performance from Scotland. Brilliant from Clarke and his entire staff and squad. Tremendous achievement and gives us some really significant bonuses moving forward:

1. Nations League A which will bring massive games, and better future play off chances/seedings especially for WC 2026.

2. Pot 2 for Euro 2024 draw a week on Sunday. 2 qualify automatically from all 10 groups.

3. Guaranteed play off spot if we don't qualify automatically.

On tonight given the absentees, quite a few guys who have been brought in from the cold and several guys including the outstanding Hickey (and whisper it Porteous who won't be at Hibs much longer) with little experience and the fact we were playing away from home in our 3rd high tempo match in a week, this is an outstanding result. So many positives; Hickey, Hendry, Porteous, Patterson all young players, the timeless Craig Gordon, consistently excellent McGregor, McGinn and Adams, McTominay magnificent in his correct position etc etc.

Oh and England, Wales and Republic Ireland all in Nations League B.

An absolutely brilliant night for Scottish football. 

6 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Up there with Wembley last year and Australia 1985.

Incredible effort by the whole squad over the 3 games, we really are developing a fantastic club spirit about the squad.

Hickey could be world class.

Nah, tonight was better than both of them. 

6 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Up there with Wembley last year and Australia 1985.

Incredible effort by the whole squad over the 3 games, we really are developing a fantastic club spirit about the squad.

Hickey could be world class.

Russia away in 1995 sticks in my.mind as well. Leighton was immense that night