EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread

romanticscot

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

That is one of the HARDEST draws we've had in years.

We know about Spain and Haaland/Norway.

Georgia have gone up from D to C in the last few years and we know how to lose there.

Cyprus - we really struggled against them. They're one of the better seeds too.

So for anyone who doesn't like the Playoffs/Nations League - winning that could well save our bacon.

Bring it on though. I'm going to go one away trip and I think Georgia might be the one!

Lets keep a bit of perspective. Don't start elevating Norway to a major force for f. cks sake. It's a tough enough group but we have got to have belief that we can come through it. 

13 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Don't know if you went to any of the previous games, but its a brilliant place to visit. Best away game out of the 4 fixtures by a country mile.

Never been but heard from others. Sounds amazing although I imagine it's changed a fair bit since the 2008 qualifiers. 

4 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Lets keep a bit of perspective. Don't start elevating Norway to a major force for f. cks sake. It's a tough enough group but we have got to have belief that we can come through it. 

Aye, true. Think it was seeing Spain then Norway and the EPL propoganda the now about Haaland ; we can definitely beat them at Hampden. 

Eratz summedit up well. A no easy games group but if we're as good as we hope/think/sometimes seem to be then we should be looking to finish second 

Possibly the hardest group since the World Cup 2014 qualifiers. Exactly the pot 1 and pot 3 sides I didn't want; Georgia are an improving side who we've struggled against in the past (and who now feature Napoli's outstanding Kvaratskhelia) and Cyprus, another tricky team who we've found hard to beat in the recent past.

Thank fuck for the playoffs, they might actually be easier! 😂

22 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

That is one of the HARDEST draws we've had in years.

We know about Spain and Haaland/Norway.

Georgia have gone up from D to C in the last few years and we know how to lose there.

Cyprus - we really struggled against them. They're one of the better seeds too.

So for anyone who doesn't like the Playoffs/Nations League - winning that could well save our bacon.

Bring it on though. I'm going to go one away trip and I think Georgia might be the one!

Think we are overthinking Norway. One man doesn't make a team. He won't get the level of service at international level that he does for his club. We more than handled Lewandowski twice a few years back.

Just now, scotlad said:

Possibly the hardest group since the World Cup 2014 qualifiers. Exactly the pot 1 and pot 3 sides I didn't want; Georgia are an improving side who we've struggled against in the past (and who now feature Napoli's outstanding Kvaratskhelia) and Cyprus, another tricky team who we've found hard to beat in the recent past.

Thank fuck for the playoffs, they might actually be easier! 😂

Yeah outside of drawing Turkey or Greece in Pot 3 it's the worst draw we could've got. Even then Georgia are an improving side with a top tier winger.

I am going to guess that Serbia, Finland and B&H will all qualify directly though the groups. So the playoffs are looking like Israel, Ukraine, Iceland and either Norway or Scotland in the playoffs. So, the only bonus that I can see from that draw is that we probably won't get Norway in the playoffs. 

That is a real stinker of a draw for us. It should come down to the two games between us and Norway but Georgia and Cyprus have got banana skins written all over them. 

3 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Think we are overthinking Norway. One man doesn't make a team. He won't get the level of service at international level that he does for his club. We more than handled Lewandowski twice a few years back.

Ahem. Wales springs to mind. 

3 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Yeah outside of drawing Turkey or Greece in Pot 3 it's the worst draw we could've got. Even then Georgia are an improving side with a top tier winger.

I'm glad we avoided Slovakia from Pot 5 too.

Just our luck to work so hard to get into Pot 2 only to end up with a draw like this! 🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I am going to guess that Serbia, Finland and B&H will all qualify directly though the groups. So the playoffs are looking like Israel, Ukraine, Iceland and either Norway or Scotland in the playoffs. So, the only bonus that I can see from that draw is that we probably won't get Norway in the playoffs. 

That is a real stinker of a draw for us. It should come down to the two games between us and Norway but Georgia and Cyprus have got banana skins written all over them. 

😂😂 , straight to the play off connotations. Love your optimism. 

I think it’s ok.  Who knows, Haaland  rolls his ankle the weekend before and we’d wasted all that time worrying about him.  Or he gets COVID   Or Norway’s wingers aren’t as good as Man City’s   

We avoided Sweden, Turkey, Greece, Slovakia - it could’ve been much worse. 

(I meant vakia not venia)

Edited by adamntg

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I think it’s ok.  Who knows, Haaland  rolls his ankle the weekend before and we’d wasted all that time worrying about him.  Or he gets COVID   Or Norway’s wingers aren’t as good as Man City’s   

We avoided Sweden, Turkey, Greece, Slovakia - it could’ve been much worse. 

(I meant vakia not venia)

This is where I am. It could have been far far worse