EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread

romanticscot

Just heard off the ball calling our group the group of death.. there is a reason Norway, Georgia and Cyprus were in pots 3,4 and 5...and it isn't because they are great teams. Will never be easy with Scotland but group of death. Don't think so. We should be confident. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Just heard off the ball calling our group the group of death.. there is a reason Norway, Georgia and Cyprus were in pots 3,4 and 5...and it isn't because they are great teams. Will never be easy with Scotland but group of death. Don't think so. We should be confident. 

There could be no greater group of death than the group we drew for Euro 2008. But we punched well above our weight , there is no reason we can’t fight with the same spirit again.  

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

More concerned with getting Georgia again!

Tiblisi has messed up previous groups and they've got some really talented players and made euros play offs.

That said Norway's away results aren't good either so that match could easily trip them up aswell.

Perhaps pot 5 was the ticket this time, incredible group for Northern Ireland to get in considering how low they've dropped. Got a decent chance of second if they can get some confidence back.

Wales will be pretty happy with what they've got aswell.

At least have the play offs as insurance and given all 2nd place teams go through there won't be as much quality in it as for world cup.

I don't think NI have a chance in that group. I wouldn't be surprised if Kazakhstan finish above them.

17 minutes ago, thesaint said:

There are a lot of very level groups in my opinion. However Northern Ireland must be ecstatic about getting that group from their position of pot 5. 

28 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

What happens if Serbia qualify from their group. Who takes their place in the Nations League play offs?

Finland unless they qualify as well and then it would be Ukraine. Although Estonia might be in the mix as well depending on what happens in the other play off routes.

Well, I'm not gutted but In also not thinking this will be a foregone conclusion. Perhaps this a healthy place to be. We know we must be at our best to make it. They don't hand out spots for these tournaments and having a smaller group might mean we avoid triple headers - not sure if such a thing exists but that should keep our squad from being depleted.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

We will definitely be playing two qualifiers in June, as there are ten match days for the qualifiers and Spain can only play their eight games in the eight dates they’re not playing in the Nations League Finals.

Aye, that makes sense. So, that means we will have free dates on two of the other matchdays. Might suit us to have two single headers. At least there are no triple headers this time round.

Worst case scenario is we’re the only pot 2 team not to qualify directly. That means we’d be top League B playoff seed so would get a home game in the first tie, and then it’d be against 3 of 7 from:

Estonia, Ukraine, Iceland, Slovenia, Ireland, Albania, Montenegro.

4 of those would be drawn into the League A play off, and the other 3 put with us in league B.

If we're going to have to do it via the playoffs we want at least two from Israel, Bosnia and Serbia to qualify directly so we get a home fixture for our first playoff game.

3 minutes ago, TartanSpice said:

Worst case scenario is we’re the only pot 2 team not to qualify directly. That means we’d be top League B playoff seed so would get a home game in the first tie, and then it’d be against 3 of 7 from:

Estonia, Ukraine, Iceland, Slovenia, Ireland, Albania, Montenegro.

4 of those would be drawn into the League A play off, and the other 3 put with us in league B.

If we're going to have to do it via the playoffs we want at least two from Israel, Bosnia and Serbia to qualify directly so we get a home fixture for our first playoff game.

To me it just looks destined to be Ukraine in the semi final and Israel in the final. 😂 Haven't played them for a while. 

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

We will definitely be playing two qualifiers in June, as there are ten match days for the qualifiers and Spain can only play their eight games in the eight dates they’re not playing in the Nations League Finals.

Not necessarily we will only require 8/10 match days , so we may be sitting out 1 of the 2 June dates .

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think NI have a chance in that group. I wouldn't be surprised if Kazakhstan finish above them.

They're s*** currently but Windsor park when the crowd is up is still a tricky place for teams to go (Italy missed out on 1st in world cup group because they could only draw 0-0 and they also drew with Swiss) so six points off San Marino and then home wins v Kazaks and Slovenia and suddenly they're on 12 points and in the mix for second.

Think it's a draw that will convince Steven Davis and Johnny Evans to hang around for one more attempt to play at another major tournament.

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

There are a lot of very level groups in my opinion. However Northern Ireland must be ecstatic about getting that group from their position of pot 5. 

It’s one thing being ecstatic about the group, but a totally different prospect of actually trying to win the games if you’re a pot 5 team.  

We need to remember that we are on the up.  

45 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Fancy Israel to qualify directly, big chance for them in a group with Swiss and Romania as the top 2 seeds.

Israel are actually the 2nd seeds in that group. Romania were in pot 3. But I think Israel have just gone past their peak and they will struggle against Romania and Kosovo. Just got a feeling that they won't be good enough to get in the top two in that group. They got into pot 2 by beating Albania twice and drawing twice with Iceland. If Russia hadn't been kicked out, I don't think Israel would have won that group?

It’s not a group of death at all. Utter nonsense. We are favourites to progress. Nonsense. 

Having Georgia and Cyprus as two teams in the is BETTER than having whipping boys. Norway are a far less consistent team and more likely to drop points versus these teams than we are  - if it is between us two. 

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Just looking at what they put out in their last nations league game.

Haaland, Sorloth and Elyonoussi was front 3 and they had Odegaard and Sander Berge in midfield.

Lost 2-1 to Slovenia....

Thank fuck we're not playing Slovenia then! 🤣

Seriously, Norway's poorer players would appear to be in defence. I think they only won one game in their Nations League group (albeit it was a tough group) which shows they can be got at.

In some respects it might be better if Spain ran away with the group, leaving us to focus on second place.