Most under-rated Scottish players ever! - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most under-rated Scottish players ever!

exile

20 hours ago, aaid said:

A bit harsh on Nevin at Chelsea.  When joined, they were in the old second division, John Neal put together a good young side, including Nevin, that won the league that season and finished sixth in the first division the following two seasons.   He’s still very popular at Stamford Bridge to this day.  

I don’t really remember him doing much at international level but then I don’t particularly recall anyone really bumming him up, I always saw him as a squad player 

That's pretty much how I remember him too. He tended to be used as an "impact" player, often starting on the bench, although he played at a time when only two substitutions could be made per game, and most of his caps were won under the utilitarian management of Andy Roxburgh.

His off-field quasi-intellectual image is a bit grating but he was a decent wee player in his day (28 caps and 5 goals is a respectable return). 

16 hours ago, hoofitharder said:

John McGovern 

Ken McNaught 

Alan Evans 

Two never capped and the other only 4 I think. Maybe they just peaked at the wrong time but all three were English first division and European cup winners. If only we had guys like them now.

They'd be on their way to 50 caps each these days!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Remember having Scanlon in Aberdeen strip in a Panini sticker back in the day

Ian Cameron although did not get much games out of him for the 300K 

David Winnie as well - think that was another 300K  

Lofted Cameron goal v celtic in lge cup semi ….

winnie was known as the ‘white pele’ by some ; not as a compliment though

23 hours ago, aaid said:

A bit harsh on Nevin at Chelsea.  When joined, they were in the old second division, John Neal put together a good young side, including Nevin, that won the league that season and finished sixth in the first division the following two seasons.   He’s still very popular at Stamford Bridge to this day.  

I don’t really remember him doing much at international level but then I don’t particularly recall anyone really bumming him up, I always saw him as a squad player 

So decent for chelsea ; not so much for national side ?

Eric Black - Fantastic striker from a young age. We'd be regular qualifiers right now if we had someone like him up front. He was also someone who always showed up in the big games.

Good thread this. Hard to believe that Doug Rougvie was capped and Ralph Milne wasn't.

15 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

So decent for chelsea ; not so much for national side ?

That would be my view.  My main memory of Nevin for Scotland was him shooting-in at half time as a sub. 

2 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Eric Black - Fantastic striker from a young age. We'd be regular qualifiers right now if we had someone like him up front. He was also someone who always showed up in the big games.

Good thread this. Hard to believe that Doug Rougvie was capped and Ralph Milne wasn't.

Was huge eric black fan ; and used to watch him most weeks - never seen anyone hang in the air like him for a header ( typically a peter weir pinpoint cross )

tbh theres sone “ x factor “ or something required though in carrying on that form to international level - part of it too must be the role a forward is expected to fulfill- within system- more holdup / lay off - way less goalscoring chances

ie - id say frank mcdougall was an even more prolific finisher than black ;but a penalty box poacher is a luxury we could ill afford

for context ; i recall fergie rates him as the best penalty box finsher hed ever had - but dont think he was selected when he was involved during nationsl set up - approx same time

mark mcghee is another one who should prob be in this category- i saw him score goal v england in 1-1 draw ; and he played in north american tour - but dont think he effectively made the step up

in saying that graham sharp kept getting selected - good for everton ; dire for us….

• 2 months later...

Joe Wark.

Had the misfortune to play in the same era as Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine.

(also didnt play for Rangers or Celtic)

On 7/5/2022 at 4:14 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

I don't know if this is true but the rumour I've heard is that Anya (who is an evangelical Christian) is now studying to become a minister of his church. Might be a lot of nonsense, mind you !

He's wasting his time he must have about 10 mil in the bank unless he's been daft. Was earning 1.5mil a year the last 4 years at Derby

On 7/12/2022 at 9:07 PM, breeks_mctavish said:

Pat Nevin, great wee player

Agree, although reading through maybe for the same reasons being a young Killie fan at the time haha.

Gary Hay was always another as a Killie fan, I'm sure he was worth a few caps.

Gary Holt was definitely underated.

Jordan fucking Rhodes

On 7/21/2022 at 6:46 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Was huge eric black fan ; and used to watch him most weeks - never seen anyone hang in the air like him for a header ( typically a peter weir pinpoint cross )

tbh theres sone “ x factor “ or something required though in carrying on that form to international level - part of it too must be the role a forward is expected to fulfill- within system- more holdup / lay off - way less goalscoring chances

ie - id say frank mcdougall was an even more prolific finisher than black ;but a penalty box poacher is a luxury we could ill afford

for context ; i recall fergie rates him as the best penalty box finsher hed ever had - but dont think he was selected when he was involved during nationsl set up - approx same time

mark mcghee is another one who should prob be in this category- i saw him score goal v england in 1-1 draw ; and he played in north american tour - but dont think he effectively made the step up

in saying that graham sharp kept getting selected - good for everton ; dire for us….

Black did have the class for international football, he was just unlucky with a bad injury. He was a sensational striker. 

On 7/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, scotlad said:

That's pretty much how I remember him too. He tended to be used as an "impact" player, often starting on the bench, although he played at a time when only two substitutions could be made per game, and most of his caps were won under the utilitarian management of Andy Roxburgh.

His off-field quasi-intellectual image is a bit grating but he was a decent wee player in his day (28 caps and 5 goals is a respectable return). 

I’m sure someone on here once said he has a scotvec certificate in being a Bawbag” clapping 👏 

I genuinely can’t stand him. Any program, podcast or newspaper article involving him is instantly turned off/over, when he describes himself as a fan of Hibernians I genuinely get the heave. He’s no son of leith 

Just now, dan cake said:

I’m sure someone on here once said he has a scotvec certificate in being a Bawbag  👏 

I genuinely can’t stand him. Any program, podcast or newspaper article involving him is instantly turned off/over, when he describes himself as a fan of Hibernians I genuinely get the heave. He’s no son of leith 

Edited by dan cake

9 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Black did have the class for international football, he was just unlucky with a bad injury. He was a sensational striker. 

Aye he was brilliant.  I honestly thought we'd be looking forward to years of a Black/Nicholas partnership up front for Scotland.  ☹️

9 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He was excellent in the air for a player who wasn't very tall. But aye, loads of injuries. He only played about 200 senior games. Not very much for a player of his ability.

50 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

He was excellent in the air for a player who wasn't very tall. But aye, loads of injuries. He only played about 200 senior games. Not very much for a player of his ability.

Look at the whole Aberdeen team and you'd have thought that some would have won (more) caps, Weir and Cooper spring to mind.  In terms of under rated Mckimmie? Kennedy?

I saw that John Duncan, ex-Dundee and Spurs, died recently. He was a very good striker but I'm not sure he won any Scotland caps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 10:58 AM, Hertsscot said:

Look at the whole Aberdeen team and you'd have thought that some would have won (more) caps, Weir and Cooper spring to mind.  In terms of under rated Mckimmie? Kennedy?

I saw that John Duncan, ex-Dundee and Spurs, died recently. He was a very good striker but I'm not sure he won any Scotland caps.

McKimmie was bang average ; prone to trying to go past the opposite winger but leaving the ball behind - porto away & torino away spring to mind - think he was as the start of the athlete with not much skill era

Weir was played ; alongside half of dons team v n ireland away in 83 ; last home intl - i think SAF influenced Jock Stein - we were well beaten , and lot of those players Weir, Rougvie didnt shine - i need to google and check that Weir was playing that game - just going from memory

check out Kennedy at World Cup 78 - not sure what was happening to defenders back then - Notts Forest Kenny Burns also looked dodgy