Most under-rated Scottish players ever! - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Most under-rated Scottish players ever!

exile

20 hours ago, aaid said:

A bit harsh on Nevin at Chelsea.  When joined, they were in the old second division, John Neal put together a good young side, including Nevin, that won the league that season and finished sixth in the first division the following two seasons.   He’s still very popular at Stamford Bridge to this day.  

I don’t really remember him doing much at international level but then I don’t particularly recall anyone really bumming him up, I always saw him as a squad player 

That's pretty much how I remember him too. He tended to be used as an "impact" player, often starting on the bench, although he played at a time when only two substitutions could be made per game, and most of his caps were won under the utilitarian management of Andy Roxburgh.

His off-field quasi-intellectual image is a bit grating but he was a decent wee player in his day (28 caps and 5 goals is a respectable return). 

16 hours ago, hoofitharder said:

John McGovern 

Ken McNaught 

Alan Evans 

Two never capped and the other only 4 I think. Maybe they just peaked at the wrong time but all three were English first division and European cup winners. If only we had guys like them now.

They'd be on their way to 50 caps each these days!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Remember having Scanlon in Aberdeen strip in a Panini sticker back in the day

Ian Cameron although did not get much games out of him for the 300K 

David Winnie as well - think that was another 300K  

Lofted Cameron goal v celtic in lge cup semi ….

winnie was known as the ‘white pele’ by some ; not as a compliment though

23 hours ago, aaid said:

A bit harsh on Nevin at Chelsea.  When joined, they were in the old second division, John Neal put together a good young side, including Nevin, that won the league that season and finished sixth in the first division the following two seasons.   He’s still very popular at Stamford Bridge to this day.  

I don’t really remember him doing much at international level but then I don’t particularly recall anyone really bumming him up, I always saw him as a squad player 

So decent for chelsea ; not so much for national side ?

Eric Black - Fantastic striker from a young age. We'd be regular qualifiers right now if we had someone like him up front. He was also someone who always showed up in the big games.

Good thread this. Hard to believe that Doug Rougvie was capped and Ralph Milne wasn't.

15 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

So decent for chelsea ; not so much for national side ?

That would be my view.  My main memory of Nevin for Scotland was him shooting-in at half time as a sub. 

2 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Eric Black - Fantastic striker from a young age. We'd be regular qualifiers right now if we had someone like him up front. He was also someone who always showed up in the big games.

Good thread this. Hard to believe that Doug Rougvie was capped and Ralph Milne wasn't.

Was huge eric black fan ; and used to watch him most weeks - never seen anyone hang in the air like him for a header ( typically a peter weir pinpoint cross )

tbh theres sone “ x factor “ or something required though in carrying on that form to international level - part of it too must be the role a forward is expected to fulfill- within system- more holdup / lay off - way less goalscoring chances

ie - id say frank mcdougall was an even more prolific finisher than black ;but a penalty box poacher is a luxury we could ill afford

for context ; i recall fergie rates him as the best penalty box finsher hed ever had - but dont think he was selected when he was involved during nationsl set up - approx same time

mark mcghee is another one who should prob be in this category- i saw him score goal v england in 1-1 draw ; and he played in north american tour - but dont think he effectively made the step up

in saying that graham sharp kept getting selected - good for everton ; dire for us….