Steve Clarke Fuck Off - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke Fuck Off

kumnio

14 hours ago, p gala ta said:

The title of this thread is a total embarrassment, and an insult to the Scottish team . Can we get the title removed from the board?
The game in Dublin was awful , but since then Stevie Clark has totally turned it around .The guy is a class act . 
We are lucky to have him when we think back to the days of Big Eck , Bertie ,Craig L, Burley etc etc 

Big Eck still has a higher win percent ratio than Steve Clarke.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/18/2023 at 12:56 PM, daviebee said:

In fairness to the guy, folk keep dredging this up to have a go at him.  We've all posted stuff that could come back to haunt us. Time for folk to give him a break.

Agreed.

It's very easy to be wise in hindsight but a bit of context is needed here. At the time this thread was created we had, in short succession, just blown our best chance to qualify for the WC in a generation (with the odds in our favour) then been humped by an average-at-best RoI team (the final score actually flattered us). Given the players available to him I don't think it was unreasonable that people should have expected better.

Results and performance have improved significantly since then and I think the manager and the team deserve credit for that but we're not even close to the finishing line yet as far as qualification is concerned. Let's see if we get to Germany first before we start putting up the Steve Clarke statues.  😉 

Reading through this thread has given me a laugh. Some people were rightly upset after the Ireland game but (easy to say with hindsight obviously) sacking Clarke at that stage would have been the wrong decision.  

The players (not Clarke, although he does need to take some responsibility as the manager) completely shat the bed in the playoff and we were never going to be up for Dublin after that. 

I agree with others who have said there is really no need to go back and ridicule people for their opinions a year ago. There are plenty of posts on her from me and everyone else which won’t have aged well. 

Aye - Judith was the member that resurrected the thread in a knobby fashion 

The thread was relevant to when it was posted and that's that - the majority of Scotland fans had saw enough to think it wasn't going to get better

And lets face it - stop the game in the 87th minute and the thread gets resurrected for other reasons

However we have now backed up the Spain result so it's now moot ...until 10pm tomorrow maybe

I was a big clarke backer when this thread was made but i agree that it shouldnt be brought up continually to stick the boot into certain posters. Everyone has knee jerk reactions which was understandable after losing the play off and losing 3 nil(actually 4) to ireland. 

Lets just be thankful we are pretty much guaranteed to be going to germany and lets hope clarke sticks around for as long as possible.

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I was a big clarke backer when this thread was made but i agree that it shouldnt be brought up continually to stick the boot into certain posters. Everyone has knee jerk reactions which was understandable after losing the play off and losing 3 nil(actually 4) to ireland. 

Lets just be thankful we are pretty much guaranteed to be going to germany and lets hope clarke sticks around for as long as possible.

This really isn’t the case. Strong favourites, yes. Guaranteed, no. 

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

You’re off your trolley if you think that. The games will only get harder come September (3/4 away from home)and we are about to play a side which has lost 1 game in 15 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

If we beat georgia then i would say we are guaranteed to be going imo.

We will only be guaranteed to be going when we have achieved more points than Norway and Georgia can achieve. 

I think we will probably need at least 14 points (15 to be comfortable) so I would say we probably need to win our next 2 games to qualify. We could easily lose our last 3 matches so any slip ups in the next 2 could see all of this end in tears. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We will only be guaranteed to be going when we have achieved more points than Norway and Georgia can achieve. 

I think we will probably need at least 14 points (15 to be comfortable) so I would say we probably need to win our next 2 games to qualify. We could easily lose our last 3 matches so any slip ups in the next 2 could see all of this end in tears. 

Exactly, we are in a great position but one game at a time.

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

This really isn’t the case. Strong favourites, yes. Guaranteed, no. 

Tomorrow is probably our last very realistic chance of getting 3 points in one game, the remaining games after that are all very difficult to accumulate points.  It would be amazing if our last game was a dead rubber but it'll never happen.  That final game will be what determines our fate no matter what happens tomorrow, in my opinion 

Edited by todd

Just now, todd said:

Exactly.  Tomorrow is probably our last very realistic chance of getting 3 points in one game, the remaining games after that are all very difficult to accumulate points.  It would be amazing if our last game was a dead rubber but it'll never happen.  That final game will be what determines our fate no matter what happens tomorrow, in my opinion 

I hope your last 2 sentences are wrong but you may well be correct. 

If we do win tomorrow though I will be disappointed if we don’t win in Cyprus (we have a 100% record against them) but nothing is guaranteed and the closer we get to qualifying the more pressure the players will be under. 

If we do win our next 2 games that should really enough to guarantee second place and we could try and push on and win the group but absolutely nothing is guaranteed at this stage (or even if we win tomorrow) and anyone who thinks it is needs to look up the definition of complacency in the dictionary. 

28 minutes ago, JECK said:

You’re off your trolley if you think that. The games will only get harder come September (3/4 away from home)and we are about to play a side which has lost 1 game in 15 

I am willing to bet with anyone on here that we are going to germany. You want to take that bet?

Loser has to pay my plane tickets to germany lol.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

I am willing to bet with anyone on here that we are going to germany. You want to take that bet?

Loser has to pay my plane tickets to germany lol.

Between this and your spamming of the Norway thread - perhaps you should consider cognitive behavioural therapy.

You've openly gone from us being utterly undeserving against Norway to now being certainties to qualify?

Sorry man - you just do not make any credible sense.

8 minutes ago, todd said:

Tomorrow is probably our last very realistic chance of getting 3 points in one game, the remaining games after that are all very difficult to accumulate points.  It would be amazing if our last game was a dead rubber but it'll never happen.  That final game will be what determines our fate no matter what happens tomorrow, in my opinion 

Not sure I agree with that. Especially after the way the last 3 games have gone. We've now played 2 of our 3 hardest matches and won them both. 

I get having a cautious mindset, but we can afford to be a bit confident now. Obviously Georgia are not a bad side, but I think not beating them twice will be our own making. Our quality shone through in the end versus Norway. If we turn up, our superiority will come to the fore.

I think we'll get a minimum of 7 points out of 9 against Georgia and Cyprus. Probably all 9.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Between this and your spamming of the Norway thread - perhaps you should consider cognitive behavioural therapy.

You've openly gone from us being utterly undeserving against Norway to now being certainties to qualify?

Sorry man - you just do not make any credible sense.

So you dont want the bet?

1 minute ago, Grim Jim said:

I don't remember any easy games against Georgia, so would be delighted with a win. That's as far ahead as I dare contemplate.

You should change your name to Sensible Jim. Doesn’t have the same ring to it though. 

I think we should have enough about us to get the win tomorrow night but it will be far from easy and could turn into a very uncomfortable night. 

I wonder how confident those who think we’ve more or less qualified will be of us getting to Germany if we don’t get the 3 points tomorrow. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

You should change your name to Sensible Jim. Doesn’t have the same ring to it though. 

I think we should have enough about us to get the win tomorrow night but it will be far from easy and could turn into a very uncomfortable night. 

I wonder how confident those who think we’ve more or less qualified will be of us getting to Germany if we don’t get the 3 points tomorrow. 

If we only get a point i still believe we will qualify. 

I was about to say Georgia are shite  (based on them beating Gibraltar 2-1)

However looking back their other results are quite impressive 

How is it when Scotland get drawn against these "minnows" it always seems to be when they are having a Golden Generation ?

Still think that if we play positive tomorrow we will gub them

I would worry about going to Georgia and putting in a similar performance like we did v Norway - think they would have skelped us

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

If we only get a point i still believe we will qualify. 

Doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed though does it? 

Assuming (and it’s a dangerous assumption) Spain beat Georgia twice and also win in Norway then then if we draw with Georgia tomorrow night then Norway can get a maximum of 13 points and Georgia can get a maximum of 14 (obviously both couldn’t happen) so we’d be looking to get a minimum of 15 points (5 from our last 4 games). 

Doable but not guaranteed. A couple of bad results and things could start to get pretty nervy. 

I personally think we will qualify but we still need some good performances and positive results to get there.