Are Wales better than us? - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are Wales better than us?

Malcolm

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Bumping this thread up. Looking like they are relying on the play offs to qualify. Doubt Croatia will mess it up from here. No idea what teams Wales will be facing in the play offs. 

As it stands it would be Wales v Iceland in the play off semi with the winner to face Poland or Estonia in the final.

39 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

As it stands it would be Wales v Iceland in the play off semi with the winner to face Poland or Estonia in the final.

Ok, it's the League D winners bit that I got wrong. I forgot that they got the first available slot. 

VDA was right in that Norway are oot, but that was just pure luck as he clearly didn't have a clue how the playoffs worked. 😂

At least I had half a clue. Still got it wrong though. 😂

Edited by Orraloon

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

At an empty stadium in Belgrade!!! Probably the best thing about the whole COVID thing was the lack of a fairly partisan crowd at that game. 

Aye fair point but home advantage isn’t everything. Our victory in Oslo would have been a better example. 

2 hours ago, JandC said:

I know but I'm sure you'd agree that over the course of games, we'd have a better chance at Hampden than playing away and that's something that comes down to a coin toss for the final.

Anyway, it looks like they'll get a play off now so at least they have another chance at it. They'll certainly need to up their game though as Armenia looked miles ahead of them yesterday.

Yeah absolutely but my point was home advantage isn’t the be all and end all. If the home team always won there would be no point playing football at all.

Having said that the current playoff system could be fairer but there isn’t enough international dates available for home and away ties.

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ok I will leave you to explain it.

Thankfully, it is irrelevant to us this time around.

As it stands, it's

Wales v Iceland and Poland v Estonia for the League A playoff path

Israel v Ukraine and B&H v Finland in the League B path.

Georgia v Luxembourg and Kazakhstan v Greece in the League C path.

That could change again after all the games are played though.

Thankfully we have qualified directly, otherwise we might have had to play Israel again. 😂 Don't think anybody wants that.

17 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Can't believe how jammy they've been in the play off draw yet again. Somehow got two home ties once more so four in 12 months!

Finland and Poland both very beatable infront of their home fans, Poland been terrible away in the qualifiers so keep Lewandowski quiet and they should go through.

Yeah I expect them to breeze through tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

What are the odds on Bale coming out of retirement for the play offs/finals ?

No chance whatsoever. He was done with club football for about 2-3 years but hung on to play in a World cup he was about 20% fit for.

Wales had a shocker v Armenia but other than that they're very solid in Cardiff and have a knack of winning critical games at home. Think everyone would be happy taking 4 points off Croatia and Turkey in a future qualifying group at Hampden.

5 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

No chance whatsoever. He was done with club football for about 2-3 years but hung on to play in a World cup he was about 20% fit for.

Wales had a shocker v Armenia but other than that they're very solid in Cardiff and have a knack of winning critical games at home. Think everyone would be happy taking 4 points off Croatia and Turkey in a future qualifying group at Hampden.

Put the Turkey match into context though. They had their second team out for that game as the manager wanted to look at other players. A full strength Turkey with something to play for would have won. As it turned out Turkey could have won the mstch in the end anyway.

Wales had their renaissance period when Bale + Ramsey were at their peak !! 

Currently if the Welsh strongest XI went against Scotland’s strongest XI then simply No 

However it would be interesting to see from the current Welsh crop that would get into a starting Scotland XI or squad even?? I’ll start with Ben Davies, Neco Williams, Ethan Ampadu, Dan James, Harry Wilson, Brennan Johnson 

12 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Can't believe how jammy they've been in the play off draw yet again. Somehow got two home ties once more so four in 12 months!

Finland and Poland both very beatable infront of their home fans, Poland been terrible away in the qualifiers so keep Lewandowski quiet and they should go through.

And to still get a playoff when they had a grand total of 1 point from their Nations League group.  Loathable jammy gits.

Loads of people will inevitably counter with how we qualified through the back door for the last Euros, fair enough, but at least we won our fuckin group to secure the playoff!

30 minutes ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Was reading Poland have a great record against Wales.

Wales post Bale are average. But home advantage is huge.

I would rather play Poland in Germany than wales.

Imagine if we ended up in a group with England and Wales. It would be the worst outcome imaginable. Not because of the footballing challenge but it would just ruin the whole magic of what could be the greatest tournament we've ever been involved in,  imo

Wales wouldn't bother me too much (I'd certainly rather get them as the Pot 4 side than Italy!) but England - fuck that. I do not want another tournament where our team is reduced to a cameo character in the Three Lions pantomime by the loathsome British media.

Wales should be good enough to get through their playoff. They've no Bale and Ramsey's past it but they've still some very good players who play at a high level. In some ways not having a superstar might solidify them as a team.

Incidentally, I can't believe the coach's future is being called into question. The guy took them to the World Cup and has taken them to the playoffs for the Euros (at the very least). Talk about short memories - Wales spent decades as also-rans, probably dreaming of being where they are now, and some people want the manager sacked!