Are Wales better than us? - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are Wales better than us?

Malcolm

26 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Incidentally, I can't believe the coach's future is being called into question. The guy took them to the World Cup and has taken them to the playoffs for the Euros (at the very least). Talk about short memories - Wales spent decades as also-rans, probably dreaming of being where they are now, and some people want the manager sacked!

Dillussions of grandeur. They look to their run at Euro 2016 and believe that is their level despite the quality in squad having dropped markedly.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not forget the only reason that Wales have a play off spot is because they were a Nations League A team 2 years ago, not by winning anything of any note in the last 24 months.

That gives you an idea of how far they have dropped since their new golden generation of the last 5-6 years.

They have a winnable match against Finland at home then perhaps a chance against Poland who have seemed out of sorts this campaign.

If they scrape into the Euros from this point then fair play - but I dare say longer term their prospects don't look like improving.

Edited by N4Footsoldier

8 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Let's not forget the only reason that Wales have a play off spot is because they were a Nations League A team 2 years ago, not by winning anything of any note in the last 24 months.

That gives you an idea of how far they have dropped since their new golden generation of the last 5-6 years.

They have a winnable match against Finland at home then perhaps a chance against Poland who have seemed out of sorts this campaign.

If they scrape into the Euros from this point then fair play - but I dare say longer term their prospects don't look like improving.

I think they will have decent chance of making the euros most years due to it being 24 teams but world cups will not be happening for them. 

I still think they have decent group of players, if managed right they should do ok. 

I would fancy us to beat them right now but it would still be a tight match imo.

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think they will have decent chance of making the euros most years due to it being 24 teams but world cups will not be happening for them. 

I still think they have decent group of players, if managed right they should do ok. 

I would fancy us to beat them right now but it would still be a tight match imo.

I never like playing any of the Home Nations including Ireland. There is always a derby match type feel to it even when there is a gap in quality between sides, which generally I don't think we've handled particularly well.

48 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I never like playing any of the Home Nations including Ireland. There is always a derby match type feel to it even when there is a gap in quality between sides, which generally I don't think we've handled particularly well.

Yeh i agree. Better off avoiding home nations imo.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Why? Four points from 6 against them in this campaign. Job done.

On paper yes, but in other campaigns that 2-2 draw would have derailed us, for which we needed a 93rd minute equaliser and could easily have lost. In a very heated game where they clearly got under our skin.

The home game we were afforded a fortunate rain-assisted first goal before the long interval which gave us a platform to control the game, with Georgia missing a late penalty that would have made it a nervous last few mins.

Not saying we shouldn't handle Georgia should we get them again but for a pot 4 team, definitely have to sit firmly in the "avoid" category

Georgia's penalty was not even appealed for by their players which says it all. We beat them soundly that night and the conditions were the same for both. The away match we went there without Gunn, Robertson, Tierney, Hickey and Adams and still came back with a draw. I am certain with even two of those five fit we would have won. 

6 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

On paper yes, but in other campaigns that 2-2 draw would have derailed us, for which we needed a 93rd minute equaliser and could easily have lost. In a very heated game where they clearly got under our skin.

The home game we were afforded a fortunate rain-assisted first goal before the long interval which gave us a platform to control the game, with Georgia missing a late penalty that would have made it a nervous last few mins.

Not saying we shouldn't handle Georgia should we get them again but for a pot 4 team, definitely have to sit firmly in the "avoid" category

TBF there’s worse pot 4s to get, Italy being the one we absolutely have to avoid. 
I’ll take the worst ranked team through the playoffs please, likely Georgia. 

J

9 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

TBF there’s worse pot 4s to get, Italy being the one we absolutely have to avoid. 
I’ll take the worst ranked team through the playoffs please, likely Georgia. 

J

I meant pot 4 for qualifying groups, by tournament standards you would take Georgia in the group in a heartbeat!

Considering the fact that the likes of Faroe Islands and Luxembourg were pot 4 teams for the qualifying draw for example, I'd be very happy not to see them in our group again. Although still would enjoy another trip there!