Afghanistan - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, exile said:

Boris Johnson’s Global Britain is exposed as impotent and friendless by Afghanistan

A dig at the Tory Govt but also how to react in a new world order where USA may post itself missing. 

Talking of posting itself missing, how Dominic Raab is still in a job is beyond me. It does not matter if ultimately there was nothing he could do, he is the fookin Foreign Secretary not the Transport Minister, he should be seen to be actively showing some concern. Unless of course simply lying on a sunbed in a foreign country justifies his position . 

And yet the Tory band wagon still rolls on. 

8 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

When sarcasm starts to turn into reality. Wonder how the 'Get Brexit done we're fed up with Johnny Foreigner' types feel about this. 

https://news.stv.tv/world/uk-home-care-provider-to-train-500-afghan-refugees-as-carers

Good on them, some of the kindest folk i've met have arrived here as refugees. Eternally grateful and if these are the kind of people caring for our elderly then they are in safe hands. 

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Good on them, some of the kindest folk i've met have arrived here as refugees. Eternally grateful and if these are the kind of people caring for our elderly then they are in safe hands. 

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Couldn't agree more and my extended family absolutely amaze me - best folk I've ever met.  My father in law had class just oozing from him and didn't have two rupees rub together.   

I'd willingly and enthusiastically accept a refugee wiping my @rse in the final years of my life without question.   

Got speaking to my friend who works with DFID and her "portfolio" is Afhganistan, grim as fuck trying to get folk back and who has and hasn't been told is eligible to apply for resettlement.

Taliban going door to door having to keep moving, frantic phonecalls from Afhgan colleagues trying to get to the airport etc.

Interesting comparing the soviet pull-out versus the US one... they basically drove out! Amazing looking back now.

1072431116_0:234:2918:1813_1000x0_80_0_1

Soviet Pull-Out Vs. US 'Saigon Moment'

"The key difference between the Soviet withdrawal in 1989 and the US pull-out today is the completely disorganised and haphazard nature of the latter", says independent American journalist Max Parry, referring to the messy evacuation of the embassy staff and the dispatch of an additional military contingent to the country to wrap up the withdrawal as soon as possible.

Despite being bogged down in a protracted and exhausting standoff with the US-armed Mujahideen, the Soviets managed to carry out their drawdown "in an orderly, responsible fashion", he points out. 

Nevertheless, the US and its allies tried to hinder the Soviet pull-out, according to the journalist. He explains that although the Geneva Accords stipulated the timetable for the Soviet evacuation, which Moscow adhered to, "the US actually violated the agreement in continuing to send arms to the jihadists".

"The Americans did everything to ensure that the pull-out either did not take place or, if it did, with huge losses for us", recalled Colonel-General Boris Gromov, the last commander of the 40th Army in Afghanistan, in his 2019 interview with Sputnik. Nevertheless, the Soviet military prevented provocations and ensured safe a withdrawal through land routes, which was apparently more risky than the US aerial pull-out.

Furthermore, in contrast to Washington, "the Soviet Army left intact a relatively stable government to preside over the country", the journalist remarks. The pro-Soviet government of Mohammad Najibullah ruled the country and maintained armed resistance against the Mujahideen until April 1992. The Afghan insurgents took Kabul shortly after his resignation.

https://sputniknews.com/us/202108181083640041-a-tale-of-two-withdrawals-why-soviet-and-us-pull-outs-from-afghanistan-were-so-different/

10 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Am I the only one who didn't know what a MANPAD was? Feel more enlightened now.

Is is basically like the modern equivalent of a hand held stinger missile. Shoot down commercial aircraft at will… in the wrong hands of course.

Apparently and maybe I misheard this as it is so mind bendingly huge... the US has effectively given the Taliban $50 Billion worth of military hardware making them a better equipped army than the Ukraine for one example. Ooops! they did it again... 

The nick of Joe Biden as well... wow.

Oh well reap what you sow. I wonder who is really pulling the strings there. Whoever it is they seem happy to let Biden get slowly crucified for them.

edit: not to mention the mountains of freshly printed $100 bills as well. And who has paid for all of this...

Edited by thplinth