Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 194 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

End of the day all that matters is that he has played 16 times for us and been horse shit all the way. We are looking for players for the future or ones that can make a difference at international level and that ain't McBurnie.

It is possible for players to improve though. McBurnie is in fine form at the moment, possibly the most in-form Scottish striker playing at a good level. I think he's earned another chance, although, the commentator today said something about him needing an operation for a hernia, so it might be a lot of people on here will get their wish and he'll be left out of the next squad.

8 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It is possible for players to improve though. McBurnie is in fine form at the moment, possibly the most in-form Scottish striker playing at a good level. I think he's earned another chance, although, the commentator today said something about him needing an operation for a hernia, so it might be a lot of people on here will get their wish and he'll be left out of the next squad.

He has been in form at a higher level when selected for us and - you guessed it - he was dung. Not only the fact he has had umpteen chances (more than other Scottish players on the fringes) but he's shown himself up multiple times to not be mentally grounded at all and not up to international standard.

I get why some want him to be given another chance but for me that boat sailed a long time ago. Sure we should look at other options in the Turkey match but lets look to players not been given much of a chance at all like Ryan Gauld.

If he gets called up he'll get my backing but it will not be in expectation of anything being delivered by him.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He has been in form at a higher level when selected for us and - you guessed it - he was dung. Not only the fact he has had umpteen chances (more than other Scottish players on the fringes) but he's shown himself up multiple times to not be mentally grounded at all and not up to international standard.

I get why some want him to be given another chance but for me that boat sailed a long time ago. Sure we should look at other options in the Turkey match but lets look to players not been given much of a chance at all like Ryan Gauld.

If he gets called up he'll get my backing but it will not be in expectation of anything being delivered by him.

He has played at a higher level but he didn't play as well as he is currently. He was excellent today, doing everything you'd want a centre-forward to do. He hasn't played for Scotland for nearly two years now; turning our noses up at him based on his performances from years ago is silly.

Outwith Adams and Dykes, who are stick-ons to be included anyway, if fit, what other options are there? Ross Stewart is injured (and by the way, hasn't exactly shone in a Scotland jersey either so far); Lawrence Shankland perhaps, he's had a good season, although about half his goals have been penalties. Tommy Conway is another possibility but that's about it.

I'd have no issues with Ryan Gauld being called up but he's an attacking midfielder rather than a striker. 

I haven’t seen him for sheff utd recently but McBurnie simply didn’t have the athleticism/leg power/pace for international level from what I saw of him. If you look at dykes and Adam’s they’re beasts compared to him. McBurnie won’t get the same amount of chances at international level therefore offers very little, 16 and nowt is it.

44 minutes ago, JECK said:

I haven’t seen him for sheff utd recently but McBurnie simply didn’t have the athleticism/leg power/pace for international level from what I saw of him. If you look at dykes and Adam’s they’re beasts compared to him. McBurnie won’t get the same amount of chances at international level therefore offers very little, 16 and nowt is it.

Read the link I posted, the people who watch him week in week out say he is a changed player. 

24 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Read the link I posted, the people who watch him week in week out say he is a changed player. 

He is in great form. Pick him. He might just do it this time. McBurnie is more commited to Scotland than plenty of others. Played through all the age groups, went on that f.. king South American trip when plenty were pulling out. Always got to be a scapegoat and he seems to be it. Would love to see him get picked and knock a goal or two in. More commited to Scotland than plenty of others fawned over on this forum. Adams who played for england and this arsehole anderson who is hedging his bets. I want guys who WANT to play for us. Not guys who turn to us as a second choice. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

In what respect though? He can score one touch finishes in the diddy championship every week all he wants. Unless he can can A outrun top international class defenders or B out jump them, he offers very little. He was pitiful in both aspects last he played for us.

This "International class" argument is nonsense. Define international class? 

Surely it depends on the other options the country has? If he's the best, or one of the best options, he's international class.

Would he get in the German or Spanish squads? No

San Marino or Liechtenstein? Yes 

International class is very subjective, half the defences he would play against for Scotland won't be as good as some of the defences he faces week in, week out 

Not a fan of mcburnie but we cant really turn our noses up at a guy who scores in the english championship. Problem is he was that poor in the matches that he played in for Scotland that i would much rather give someone like shankland and conway a try instead. If theres loads of strikers injured then maybe call him up but otherwise its a no from me.

42 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not a fan of mcburnie but we cant really turn our noses up at a guy who scores in the english championship. Problem is he was that poor in the matches that he played in for Scotland that i would much rather give someone like shankland and conway a try instead. If theres loads of strikers injured then maybe call him up but otherwise its a no from me.

Was it him and fleck that were overhead in the tunnel saying international duty was shite? 

8 hours ago, saintydave said:

This "International class" argument is nonsense. Define international class? 

Surely it depends on the other options the country has? If he's the best, or one of the best options, he's international class.

Would he get in the German or Spanish squads? No

San Marino or Liechtenstein? Yes 

International class is very subjective, half the defences he would play against for Scotland won't be as good as some of the defences he faces week in, week out 

Pet hate of mine too. 

Not sure what word describes"not able to replecate club form in an international environment "