Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 195 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Was it him and fleck that were overhead in the tunnel saying international duty was shite? 

Both of those players refused to take part in a huddle before a game because its what celtic do before games. 🤣🤣

If that's their mindset as grown men and professional footballers they can fuck off

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, JECK said:

In what respect though? He can score one touch finishes in the diddy championship every week all he wants. Unless he can can A outrun top international class defenders or B out jump them, he offers very little. He was pitiful in both aspects last he played for us.

According to the forum he can do a lot more than that now, in particular his ability to help defend set pieces. 

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Was it him and fleck that were overhead in the tunnel saying international duty was shite? 

Didn't stop him from turning up though. Whether you like McBurnie or not the one thing you can't accuse him of is commitment to Scotland. Came through the under 19 and under 21 squads (and that's the Scotland under 19 and 21 squads) which is more than can be said for some others. Went on that daft trip to South America when plenty were pulling out and showed bottle to take one of the penalties in the play off against Serbia when he was getting lamblasted from all sides. He has been a Scotland fan all his days and obviously wants to do well for us. Don't understand why if he keeps scoring for Sheffield Utd anybody objects to giving him another go. With our goalscoring record surely anybody who is scoring at a good level should be considered.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Quite worrying about the amount of our players, facing periods on the bench in the EPL. Tierney, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn come to mind

Thought McGinn would be a sure starter once Gerrard got booted, tbf Villa not missing him today 

11 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Quite worrying about the amount of our players, facing periods on the bench in the EPL. Tierney, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn come to mind

It is, I agree, but people on here seem more upset that one of our players is actually having a good season! 😂

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Didn't stop him from turning up though. Whether you like McBurnie or not the one thing you can't accuse him of is commitment to Scotland. Came through the under 19 and under 21 squads (and that's the Scotland under 19 and 21 squads) which is more than can be said for some others. Went on that daft trip to South America when plenty were pulling out and showed bottle to take one of the penalties in the play off against Serbia when he was getting lamblasted from all sides. He has been a Scotland fan all his days and obviously wants to do well for us. Don't understand why if he keeps scoring for Sheffield Utd anybody objects to giving him another go. With our goalscoring record surely anybody who is scoring at a good level should be considered.

Hear hear. Read bits of Sheff United forum posted here. Fans used to dislike his as much as many on here do but his performances have resulted in this changing rapidly for his club so no reason a couple of goals at international level bcan't change his legacy for us also. 

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Side point but what's the opinion on Liam Cooper down your way this 

Leeds are better defensively with Cooper in there.  Still letting in far too many goals mind . The fans are split on their opinions of Cooper . The manager rates  him so that's good enough for me . 

1 hour ago, noctonjock said:

Leeds are better defensively with Cooper in there.  Still letting in far too many goals mind . The fans are split on their opinions of Cooper . The manager rates  him so that's good enough for me . 

Wonder who our last centre half to play three consecutive season in the EPL was. 

2 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Hear hear. Read bits of Sheff United forum posted here. Fans used to dislike his as much as many on here do but his performances have resulted in this changing rapidly for his club so no reason a couple of goals at international level bcan't change his legacy for us also. 

Exactly. A couple of goals for us and he could go on and transform his international career. Wouldn't be the first guy to turn his international career around. Don't see any reason not to give him another go. The guy must be desperate to prove his doubters wrong. Ollie's on fire. 😁

4 hours ago, thesaint said:

Exactly. A couple of goals for us and he could go on and transform his international career. Wouldn't be the first guy to turn his international career around. Don't see any reason not to give him another go. The guy must be desperate to prove his doubters wrong. Ollie's on fire. 😁

We have Adams & Dykes and then next in line is probably Shankland who’s scored plenty this season including in Europe, Nisbet just about to return from injury & the next striker to get their chance should be Tommy Conway who’s young and will improve. 

We don’t need to give another chance to someone who’s been shite 16 times over and is a bellend. 

14 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

We have Adams & Dykes and then next in line is probably Shankland who’s scored plenty this season including in Europe, Nisbet just about to return from injury & the next striker to get their chance should be Tommy Conway who’s young and will improve. 

We don’t need to give another chance to someone who’s been shite 16 times over and is a bellend. 

Tbf all it takes is 1 or 2 injuries. Not really a fan of mcburnie but i can see him getting picked for the squad again if he keeps up this form. Hopefully clarke remembers how poor he was in a scotland shirt and gives chances to guys like conway, stewart and shankland when it comes to gametime.

10 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

We don’t need to give another chance to someone who’s been shite 16 times over and is a 

Not sure if stats have been updated after today but think Shankland has scored 12 goals this season. 6 from pens and I believe one of the non pen goals was from the follow up to a pen so that would be 5 goals from normal open play. He failed in Belgium and failed in his 1st full season the the Scottish Prem.

Im not saying this to diss Shankland, just to add some context. 

I think its pretty well accepted that scoring reguarly in the Championship is more imprrssive than in the Scottish Prem. McBurnie has gone a reletively large number of games without scoring for Scotland but in his defence a good number of these were when we were really struggling. He has also been unlucky in a cpl of games, hitting the bar and post etc. That being said he has also been totally useless at times for us.

I think players shouldnt be written off unless there are clear and obvious alternatives. I dont think thats the case with McBurnie. Shankland and Nisbet are comparitable at best. Conway is somewhat unproven. 

4 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Not sure if stats have been updated after today but think Shankland has scored 12 goals this season. 6 from pens and I believe one of the non pen goals was from the follow up to a pen so that would be 5 goals from normal open play. He failed in Belgium and failed in his 1st full season the the Scottish Prem.

I think its pretty well accepted that scoring reguarly in the Championship is more imprrssive than in the Scottish Prem. McBurnie has gone a reletively large number of games without scoring for Scotland but in his defence a good number of these were when we were really struggling. He has also been unlucky in a cpl of games, hitting the bar and post etc. That being said he has also been totally useless at times for us.

I think players shouldnt be written off unless there are clear and obvious alternatives. I dont think thats the case with McBurnie. Shankland and Nisbet are comparitable at best. Conway is somewhat unproven. 

Both mcburnie and shankland are not really guys we should be pinning our hopes on anyways. Mcburnies had his chances and shankland to a lesser extent as well. They might get in future squads but guys like stewart and conway deserve gametime ahead of them. The three game internationals are probably not going to be happening again in the near future so big squads wont be needed as much and if we play a lone striker in the future then dykes and adams will be the first picks. Maybe if we play 2 upfront then that might increase their chances.

Theres no problem with guys like mcburnie and shankland being squad fillers but its unlikely they get massive first team opportunities unless they really start to do impressive numbers at club level. I am not writing off mcburnie completely but hes had more chances than most and been absolutely terrible in nearly every game i have watched him in for scotland(which is all of them).

Conways only unproven because hes 20 years old and only just burst onto the scene. If conway continues the way he has then hes a future epl striker. How often do we have 20 year old strikers scoring and making assists in the english championship. We should all be excited about conway, hes potentially the goalscorer we have been crying out for. Even if he turns into an average epl striker like che adams then thats great news for us. 

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Probably the most level headed post on the McBurnie situation.

No one is taking into account what sort of team we had when he played and also who he played against. I might be right in saying Belgium twice Russia twice, Mexico,Peru and Costa Rica. I know for a fact that he hasn't played against any of the diddy nations.

I'm not going to take anyone who suggests Shankland seriously from now on.

In other news Ralston started for Celtic yesterday had an assist and made 5 key passes, 90% pass success and more touches of the ball than anyone bar Matt O'Riley. 

I really wish he would get a move, so we could see how good he actually is.

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Probably the most level headed post on the McBurnie situation.

No one is taking into account what sort of team we had when he played and also who he played against. I might be right in saying Belgium twice Russia twice, Mexico,Peru and Costa Rica. I know for a fact that he hasn't played against any of the diddy nations.

I'm not going to take anyone who suggests Shankland seriously from now on.

In other news Ralston started for Celtic yesterday had an assist and made 5 key passes, 90% pass success and more touches of the ball than anyone bar Matt O'Riley. 

I really wish he would get a move, so we could see how good he actually is.

Ralstons done quite well for himself and credit to him. Its just a shame that guys like patterson, hickey and ramsay will probably block him from getting much of a chance with scotland. He will need to rely on one of those guys not making it at epl level and injuries to stand chance of getting much caps. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ralstons done quite well for himself and credit to him. Its just a shame that guys like patterson, hickey and ramsay will probably block him from getting much of a chance with scotland. He will need to rely on one of those guys not making it at epl level and injuries to stand chance of getting much caps. 

He is behind the three players you mention, I'm just curious to find out what his ceiling is. Think his lack of comparable pace is probably were he will fail or he's just a flat track pony and can only perform at SPL level.

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He is behind the three players you mention, I'm just curious to find out what his ceiling is. Think his lack of comparable pace is probably were he will fail or he's just a flat track pony and can only perform at SPL level.

I think hes a guy who would play for the likes of norwich or burnley and probably get relegated and promoted from the epl. Hes a player who would excel in the english championship but probably not quite good enough to be a long term epl player.

Hes done well but i think patterson and hickey will prove in time to be a level or 2 above him and he will be limited to caps especially if ramsay makes it big as well. 

I like him and hes got a great attitude but its a case of him coming along at the wrong time. If he came along 7/8 years ago he could have been our first pick right back for those years but our options have flourished at right back which is great from a scotland fans point of view.

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think hes a guy who would play for the likes of norwich or burnley and probably get relegated and promoted from the epl. Hes a player who would excel in the english championship but probably not quite good enough to be a long term epl player.

Hes done well but i think patterson and hickey will prove in time to be a level or 2 above him and he will be limited to caps especially if ramsay makes it big as well. 

I like him and hes got a great attitude but its a case of him coming along at the wrong time. If he came along 7/8 years ago he could have been our first pick right back for those years but our options have flourished at right back which is great from a scotland fans point of view.

This. The fact Stephen O'Donnell has got 26 caps shows how timing can be everything in international football - he probably wouldn't've got a single cap had Patterson and Hickey been options throughout his Scotland career.

If Ralston is the third/fourth choice player in his position, we're doing rather well and don't need to worry too much about our right back options at the moment. He is still only 23 so could improve, but he's the oldest of our four most obvious options.