Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 387 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, scotlad said:

That's how he qualifies for Scotland. 😏

Not sure where to post this; it sounds like Kevin Nisbet has been involved in some sort of action but I don't think it's footballing action:

What the hell the boy has done to fall short of the "culture and standards" of Millwall FC - a sort of English equivalent of Airdrie - I dread to think! 😂

One of a long line of ex Hibs players without a brain 😵‍💫

39 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Lewis Ferguson has just won an award for best midfielder in Serie A. 

Good stuff for the boy but unfortunately he will be able to sit and polish his trophy while watching us in the euros. Must be hard to take. 

3 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

One of a long line of ex Hibs players without a brain 😵‍💫

He was a bit of a rocket in his early days at Thistle too, but since then he's looked like someone who'd screwed the nut and grown up a bit - until now.

It could just be a blip, TBF, and I guess we all make mistakes. That said, it's still not clear what he's been up to!

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Lewis Ferguson has just won an award for best midfielder in Serie A. 

Superb news. Great to see a young scot get recognised like this

7 hours ago, Goozay said:

Quansah might have a Scottish grandparent but he's been playing for England Under Age since 2018, similar to Livramento who has been involved with the England set-up since 2016.

It looks highly unlikely that either of these two young players will switch allegiance to Scotland now and jeopardise their chance of being picked for England for future tournaments.

If they hit their mid-to-late twenties and still haven't played in a competitive game for England I can maybe see their heads being turned, like Che Adams. But for now their heads, hearts (and most likely, their agents) will be telling them to stick with England and bide their time.

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right. England's weakest position currently is central defence; if Quansah is playing even semi-regularly for a team like Liverpool at the age he's at now that's a strong sign that's he's got something, and that won't be lost on England's management team.

16 hours ago, scotlad said:

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right. England's weakest position currently is central defence; if Quansah is playing even semi-regularly for a team like Liverpool at the age he's at now that's a strong sign that's he's got something, and that won't be lost on England's management team.

It's also the same for Livramento.

He's unlikely to go to the Euros this year with England because they've got a lot of choice in the right back position, but after the Euros Kyle Walker and Kieran Trippier are likely to retire from international football. Livramento is even four years younger than Trent Alexander Arnold, so time is on his side.

12 hours ago, Goozay said:

It's also the same for Livramento.

He's unlikely to go to the Euros this year with England because they've got a lot of choice in the right back position, but after the Euros Kyle Walker and Kieran Trippier are likely to retire from international football. Livramento is even four years younger than Trent Alexander Arnold, so time is on his side.

Exactly,  boys such as Livramento , Anderson, Archie Gray etc etc have a better option , born in England & arguably good enough to play for England as well as possibly being good enough to go down in history as having not only qualified but actually having won a major tournament

I don't like admitting it but they have the possibility of being national legends, we don't offer anything close.

I know it's only league 1 but this lad looks like he's starting to fulfil his potential. He's lighting quick and has great dribbling skills. His end product must be half decent going by his goal and assist stats. He looks brilliant in this video.

I know he's fucked us about at youth level but I think there's a strong chance he makes it to the epl or another top league. 

Could he be worth a call up in the future or even now?

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

I know it's only league 1 but this lad looks like he's starting to fulfil his potential. He's lighting quick and has great dribbling skills. His end product must be half decent going by his goal and assist stats. He looks brilliant in this video.

I know he's fucked us about at youth level but I think there's a strong chance he makes it to the epl or another top league. 

Could he be worth a call up in the future or even now?

A lot of hype about Leonard's performances in that division and he's older than Dembele.

I'd certainly hope someone in Clarke's team has a chat with him at least to see where his head is at. It'd be a shame if he still didn't want to play for Scotland given he's spent virtually all his life there.

8 hours ago, csinclair said:

A lot of hype about Leonard's performances in that division and he's older than Dembele.

I'd certainly hope someone in Clarke's team has a chat with him at least to see where his head is at. It'd be a shame if he still didn't want to play for Scotland given he's spent virtually all his life there.

Good point & I totally agree  but it's highly unlikely a league one player will be asked to join this summer . 

Dembele may well be a good player, perhaps he even becomes EPL standard, but if he thinks he's anywhere near the England U21 squad let alone their first team he's living in cloud-cuckoo land. Off the top of my head he would be up against (for an attacking central mid or winger type role in a similar age bracket or younger) Cole Palmer (starting regularly for Chelsea), Bynoe-Gittens (starting regularly for Dortmund), Madueke (starting regularly for Chelsea), Iling-Junior (starting regularly for Juventus), Saka (starting regularly for Arsenal) and of course Jude Bellingham who might be one of the best players in the world. I know the club you play for is temporary and doesn't necessarily tell you everything about how good a player is, but I also think it's pretty unlikely he will push through all of these guys to break into any unders or full England squad.

These are just the young ones currently involved too, guys like Gordon, Rashford, Foden etc. are all significantly better than him and not too much older.

Perhaps he will play for the Ivory Coast but he will never play for England.

42 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

McGinn and Villa knocked out of the semi final.

It would've been nice for McGinn to win a major trophy, but it's equally nice that he plays one less match.

He's not injured. Yay!

Was always going to be an uphill battle after the 1st leg and then conceding an early goal in the 2nd leg pretty much put the tie beyond doubt.

At this stage of the season, that’s the most important part. Of course seeing SJM captaining and potentially winning a European trophy would have been really nice but due to our recent bad luck with injuries at a terrible time, then I’d rather he was given the night off.

Agree it's good news to an extent that most of our key players won't be going into the summer fresh off of all sorts of late season aggro and cup finals etc. It really messed with us in my opinion for2022 going right in to the postponed Ukraine play off game and also getting pumped in Dublin off a shite Ireland team.

The one perennial concern for me is McGregor who is a workhorse for Celtic putting up 50-60 games a season consistently. You have to wonder how long he can keep that up.

On the flip side I would personally be pulling for Adams to help take Southampton to the PL and come into the Summer on a personal high and hopefully full of confidence.

53 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

McGregor and Forrest playing well in the old firm. Especially McGregor. He's been excellent imo.

McGregor was quality and Forrest looks sharp (but possibly not up to 90mins). 

Thought Taylor was really poor, and incredibly lucky to be in Celtic’s starting 11 and in our squad. I’m hoping Doig might get selected instead. 

Ralston looked clumsy when he came on. He’d also be very lucky to be in the squad. Maybe Max Johnston can get a couple of starts for Sturm Graz to give himself an opportunity. 

40 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Thought Taylor was really poor, and incredibly lucky to be in Celtic’s starting 11 and in our squad. I’m hoping Doig might get selected instead. 

Ralston looked clumsy when he came on. He’d also be very lucky to be in the squad. Maybe Max Johnston can get a couple of starts for Sturm Graz to give himself an opportunity

Can’t see him starting tomorrow as they win the league if they match Salzburg’s result. Hopefully he gets on the pitch though and if they do win it he can start the final game

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Ralston looked clumsy when he came on. He’d also be very lucky to be in the squad. Maybe Max Johnston can get a couple of starts for Sturm Graz to give himself an opportunity. 

Taylor is rotten, I wish he would concentrate on trying to be a decent left back instead of thinking he is a central midfielder .

18 minutes ago, GilmourFan said:

Gilmour strolling the match. He played a beautiful dink over the Newcastle defence. No Brighton player read it.

93% pass success rate.

1-1 With Newcastleat half time. No idea how. Brighton have dominated it.

(I know he isn't Scottish, but Elliot Anderson is playing left wingback. I can imaging some minds melting trying to comprehend how a right footed midfielder can be playing left wingback... oh... He set up the equaliser)

He’s playing on the left of a midfield 3 not left wing back. Newcastle are playing a back 4 with Hall on the left.