Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 364 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Gordon aside, most of those players you mentioned are still only in their early 30s. That shouldn't really be any reason for them to be thinking about retiring.

Saying that, with the relative conveyor belt of talent we seem to have been creating the past few years, I think they'll very soon be transitioned out to make way for fhe next wave.

I'm super glad the vast majority of our squad have half a dozen or more years ahead of them. 3 of our best players - Hickey, Gilmour and Patterson have over a decade each. 

(By "best players" I mean the core group of 15ish guys that are guaranteed picks for every squad)

Not retiring from football but possibly retiring/ being transitioned out from the national team. It's pretty common at that age as they can better concentrate on club football. 

On 3/13/2024 at 12:49 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

60 is the new 50,50 is the new 40, 40 is the new 30.

By my reckoning 22 is the new 15. 20-30year olds  today are pathetic, most of them still play with children’s toys. 

Even so, Anderson is a professional footballer. You need to be a strong, determined character to get to that level. He'll have spent years in changing rooms amongst other professionals and wannabe professionals when he was younger, he'll know the score. No way is he going to go home in a huff because a bit of teasing!

And anyway, why would he be getting teased anymore than anyone else?? (Unless he has a tattoo of Ant and Dec on his arse or something - which his Newcastle teammates think is perfectly normal but the Scots boys wouldn't stop laughing at him about. 🤔)

20 hours ago, dan cake said:

Should keep the tartan army racists happy 👍

Being genuinely pleased at missing out on a potentially excellent player is a bit of a "weird flex", as the weans say (I think).

Rangers lost but Souttar was excellent. I was waiting to see how he performed against better opposition than the SPL before being sure whether he should start in Germany, if fit I'd like to see Souttar & KT start either side of McKenna.

23 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Rangers lost but Souttar was excellent. I was waiting to see how he performed against better opposition than the SPL before being sure whether he should start in Germany, if fit I'd like to see Souttar & KT start either side of McKenna.

That could be a combination worth trying in one of the friendlies.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:33 PM, scotlad said:

That could be a combination worth trying in one of the friendlies.

Yeh I hope so, that's what friendlies are supposed to be for . 

McGregor being injured is also a positive I reckon, it gives him a much needed rest & means surely Clarke will try playing Christie what's looking like his by far best position.

4 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Grant Hanley not in Norwich squad today . Hasn't  played much football this season . Think he will be a wee bit rusty for these friendlies 

He had a serious long term injury, he is being eased back very gently. They certainly wouldn't play him twice a week but you would like to think by the summer he is capable of that.

Cooper has also barely played all season, We've younger centre backs who deserve to be in Germany, there's no way Cooper & Hanley should both make the final cut, Hanley just makes it, Cooper sadly not.

41 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

He had a serious long term injury, he is being eased back very gently. They certainly wouldn't play him twice a week but you would like to think by the summer he is capable of that.

Cooper has also barely played all season, We've younger centre backs who deserve to be in Germany, there's no way Cooper & Hanley should both make the final cut, Hanley just makes it, Cooper sadly not.

Yep Cooper doesn’t deserve to be in there. It’s a bit of an odd squad with more goalies than strikers and a couple of odd ones 

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

I've ruptured my achilles twice now and it's a fucker to get. Your leg just turns into jelly and half the size as you can't run on it for at least six months but when you hit the weights and do leg work, the leg ends up being stronger than it has ever been but i'm still feeling the effects of it years on and mentally it does a lot of damage when you go into a challenge or even just running as it can pop or snap at anytime.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:09 PM, theabsentee said:

It should be an easy decision to put him in as he's better than Hendry and Porteous. 

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Thought he was much better than decent. 

Had cramp right at the end but won a header to allow the breakaway for the winning goal. 

And a goal and assist, quality player.  

Yip, some people on here seem to think he doesn't belong at that level, but he's invariably the best player on the park in the big games. The stats would probably show he was again today. Vital clearance that led to the winning goal, slide rule assist and the opener, all against a very good side. 

15 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yip, some people on here seem to think he doesn't belong at that level, but he's invariably the best player on the park in the big games. The stats would probably show he was again today. Vital clearance that led to the winning goal, slide rule assist and the opener, all against a very good side. 

Lot of Man Utd fans ought to eat humble pie when it comes to McTominay, he's got them so vital goals this season.

53 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He really has some engine on him, his run towards the end (which he was unlucky with his shot) must have been lung bursting. 

Too many fans of teams near the top of the EPL seem to think the only 2 types of midfielders are holding players or Kevin De Bruyne types who play defence splitting passes all game and they totally disregard McTominay's physical attributes or knack of arriving into the box at the right time.

20 hours ago, csinclair said:

Too many fans of teams near the top of the EPL seem to think the only 2 types of midfielders are holding players or Kevin De Bruyne types who play defence splitting passes all game and they totally disregard McTominay's physical attributes or knack of arriving into the box at the right time.

Although he's a great finisher and times his runs well into the box, his all-round game probably isn't good enough for a team that wants to challenge for the top-4 or title.  I can understand why he gets criticism.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This is all fine by me but I'd have preferred him coming out with this statement BEFORE he got called up by England. It would have stopped him being foolishly linked to Scotland when he so wanted only to play for England quite clearly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68621944

Might be a lesson for all those who are desperate to cap these clowns.