Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 352 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hanley starting

That’s good to hear 

Just checked and Kenny Maclean scores, hopefully Lyndon Dykes can get some minutes 

17 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Even though Brighton got beaten today, Gilmour was unbelieveable. Everything goes through him now and some of his passing was absolute elite.

Agreed. I watched the game and he was fantastic. 

2 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Dykes comes on in the 86th minute. If he's not getting much game time, probably Adams will be back as our number 9.  Dykes had it nailed down for a while.  

Before today Dykes started all 6 of QPR’s games this year. He’s getting plenty game time. 

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Dykes comes on in the 86th minute. If he's not getting much game time, probably Adams will be back as our number 9.  Dykes had it nailed down for a while.  

Dykes can’t score in a barrel load of fsnnies at the moment. Dykes is probably behind Adams and Shankland at the moment 

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Dykes can’t score in a barrel load of fsnnies at the moment. Dykes is probably behind Adams and Shankland at the moment 

I always liked him as he has the ability to bully defenders but Shankland can do that too and he has good link-up play. I suppose Dykes has more pace though I don't think he's super fast.

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

I always liked him as he has the ability to bully defenders but Shankland can do that too and he has good link-up play. I suppose Dykes has more pace though I don't think he's super fast.

I don't think there is any danger of Dykes being excluded from the Euros squad, but even Clarke might be thinking he should be behind Shankland in the pecking order.

If QPR do get relegated, and Dykes goes with them, it'll be hard to justify his inclusion beyond this summer.

Adams is having a purple patch, but that always seems to be the case with him. It never lasts. Shankland is the consistent finisher and really deserves some starts.

25 goals for Shankland. Including his Scotland goal. He might already be on 30 if he hadn't missed a handful of penalties.

Hypothetically, It'll be pretty hard for Clarke to justify playing a relegated striker with half a dozen goals to his name (Dykes) ahead of a 30 goal striker in the prime of his life (Shankland).

We've been crying out for a prolific striker for years. Well we have one, let's not waste it.

22 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't think there is any danger of Dykes being excluded from the Euros squad, but even Clarke might be thinking he should be behind Shankland in the pecking order.

If QPR do get relegated, and Dykes goes with them, it'll be hard to justify his inclusion beyond this summer.

Adams is having a purple patch, but that always seems to be the case with him. It never lasts. Shankland is the consistent finisher and really deserves some starts.

I agree. If QPR go down, I wouldn't imagine any club would come in for Dykes as he hardly stands out in that team and we just can't rely on Adams to take his chances.

Clarke says the strikers are there to help the midfield score goals but I don't think that was the case until the last campaign, so, I think Dykes was originally brought in to score goals as, let's face it, we didn't have many options in that position. I fully expect him to make the squad but he could then be phased out like SOD was.

17 hours ago, todd said:

2 goals more than 'wonder kid' Hojlund in less time on the pitch, and from midfield.  The Saltire next to his name is the only reason he's constantly on the bench

Nothing to do with it man, I love Scott as much as anybody but his isn't a complete enough midfielder to start regularly for them.

As a impact sub when the game is stretched he is a serious asset for them , if he is happy with that role then he probably stays at United for a good while yet. 

Actually think him being a club supersub suits us just fine.

Edited by theabsentee

1 minute ago, theabsentee said:

Nothing to do with it man, I love Scott as much as anybody but his isn't a complete enough midfielder to start regularly for them.

As a impact sub when the game is stretched he is a serious asset for them , if he is happy with that role then he probably stays at United for a good while yet. 

Actually think him being a club supersub suits us just fine.

No way he's on the bench that often if he's Brazilian though

3 minutes ago, todd said:

No way he's on the bench that often if he's Brazilian though

Fred was & he spent plenty time on the United bench also sometimes due to Scott starting.

Our Scott's a bit of a enigma especially at club level, he isn't good enough to dictate a game, doesn't always track back but he is very good at driving forward, great athletic, gets stuck in and is lethal in and around the box. 

One thing for sure is he will never be a defensive midfielder while there's a whole in his arse!  Looks like the central defender experiment didn't work either.

He is 27 now so let's hope all those alleged expert coaches have finally realised him limitations & will let him flourish in a role that suits him as a box to box midfielder or support striker though I'm still sure there's still time for him to be tried as a number 9! Wonder if it will be us or a club to inevitable try that out.