Clarke committed to Scotland - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke committed to Scotland

kumnio

Scottish football is small time compared to the money in English football. If Clarke does well with Scotland he will be poached very quickly by some club similar to Alex McLeish first time around. He was gone in 11 months. I think Birmingham paid him 1.5m versus 400k from the SFA. I very much doubt Rangers could even out-pay a English championship side these days.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Scottish football is small time compared to the money in English football. If Clarke does well with Scotland he will be poached very quickly by some club similar to Alex McLeish first time around. He was gone in 11 months. I think Birmingham paid him 1.5m versus 400k from the SFA. I very much doubt Rangers could even out-pay a English championship side these days.

Pretty sure Rangers we’re paying Gerrard more than 400K a year 

54 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Gerrard was apparently on £2.5 million a year.

Small potatoes to the EPL but probably higher than the championship.

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

There was lots of speculation about Clarke the last time a big managerial vacancy appeared in Glasgow.  Six months later, could he be persuaded to take the Rangers job, after the double header?

You should google "Steve Clarke rant Rangers" and watch the first video you see. There is no chance in hell he'd leave Scotland for Rangers. 

I think he's long enough in the tooth to not walk away from Scotland for a job similar to what enticed Alex McLeish either. I wonder what his new contract terms are now. Surely he got a pay rise. Either way, I doubt a relatively small increase in money would dictate what he does next. Hopefully he stays as Scotland manager for a long long time.

Suddenly the new contract dosen't look so bad does it?

5 straight wins in qualifying now, not a clue when that last or even ever happened. Yes three of them been against Moldova and Faroes but I said at start of this group to have any chance of second needed to get 12 points off the bottom two seeds and beat Israel at home and Clarke has fulfilled that brief nicely.

What I like about current set up is it's now got the look of what likes of Wales and Northern Ireland have in qualifying, tough to beat and can go to the lower ranked teams in group and grind out a 1-0 or 2-0. That's what I was asking for years back and can tell the players are really enjoying being in the set up now.

Rare nice relaxing final game with 2nd secured before important stuff in March so would say to anyone going on Monday to just enjoy it as Denmark one of best teams to watch in europe currently so will be high quality game.

18 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Suddenly the new contract dosen't look so bad does it?

5 straight wins in qualifying now, not a clue when that last or even ever happened. Yes three of them been against Moldova and Faroes but I said at start of this group to have any chance of second needed to get 12 points off the bottom two seeds and beat Israel at home and Clarke has fulfilled that brief nicely.

What I like about current set up is it's now got the look of what likes of Wales and Northern Ireland have in qualifying, tough to beat and can go to the lower ranked teams in group and grind out a 1-0 or 2-0. That's what I was asking for years back and can tell the players are really enjoying being in the set up now.

Rare nice relaxing final game with 2nd secured before important stuff in March so would say to anyone going on Monday to just enjoy it as Denmark one of best teams to watch in europe currently so will be high quality game.

The last time we had a better run was under Alex McLeish in 2007 when we won six matches in a row.

25 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

5 straight wins in qualifying now, not a clue when that last or even ever happened. 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The last time we had a better run was under Alex McLeish in 2007 when we won six matches in a row.

1995 the last time we won 5 consecutive competitive games:

San Marino, Faroes, Greece, Finland, San Marino.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:38 AM, thplinth said:

Difference is McLeish had never worked in English football before he jumped ship and was still seen as up and coming manager at the time.

Clarke had his long spells in England as assistant and then manager at West Brom and Reading (where it didn't go so well) so think it's a little different, he's had his time and unless he fancies another payrise I think he'll be around until hopefully euro 2024.

Similar to Southgate at England, World cup SF and euros final and yet not major side in premier league is desperate to get him so might aswell stay a few years longer than go to club team, get sacked after six months and then end up in managerial wilderness again.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong on steve clarke. After the Russia and Belgium games in 2019 I was so fed up as we were miles off them and couldnt see when we were going to even get close to qualifying. Now we look like a solid team and clarke gets all the credit. Hes stuck with same formation even though some pundits and fans were saying we need to sometimes change it up and that has been massive for familiarity. Any player that comes into team will know what his job is and its showing. Plus the gold dust effect of robertson mcginn and a few others makes other teams wary of us. Getting to a world cup again will be magical. I was there in 98 in Paris and the whole country at that time was just stopped. Great times and clarke is bringing them back.

8 hours ago, gaz7 said:

I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong on steve clarke. After the Russia and Belgium games in 2019 I was so fed up as we were miles off them and couldnt see when we were going to even get close to qualifying. Now we look like a solid team and clarke gets all the credit. Hes stuck with same formation even though some pundits and fans were saying we need to sometimes change it up and that has been massive for familiarity. Any player that comes into team will know what his job is and its showing. Plus the gold dust effect of robertson mcginn and a few others makes other teams wary of us. Getting to a world cup again will be magical. I was there in 98 in Paris and the whole country at that time was just stopped. Great times and clarke is bringing them back.

It feels as if the relationship between Clarke and Robertson is significant, with mutual respect and understanding rubbing off on the others. With that strong relationship then a good squad ethic can be built.  

23 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lets hope he stays on til euro 2024. Theres bound to be clubs interested in him so it could be hard to keep him long term.

Even if we don't make the world cup he has still improved us massively and should be given the credit he deserves. 

The building blocks are there now. At worst in pot 3 for euro 2024 which as we've seen with this group gives a massive advantage if you draw a pot 2 team in transition like Austria. Would be disappointed not to finish 2nd and qualify automatically for next euros tbh (and that's without what happens in the nations league group which was obviously very useful last time).

Vast majority of squad are enthused and want to be there for all qualifiers and you're seeing the result on pitch and proper togetherness with those in the stands.

Average age of squad has been weeded down aswell and majority of those players can be around until perhaps world cup 2026.

He's done well for me. Good thing is he's made this changes quicker than what Strachan did who only worked out a good team from mid 2017 onwards and by then he'd had four years in the job and more than enough time.

Hard to think losing 3-0 in Kazakhstan was just two and a half years ago. Dosen't mean another result like that couldn't happen again but that was a real low for me and at that point you think would the narrative ever change but it has, just like it did for Wales and Northern Ireland after decades in the wilderness.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

The building blocks are there now. At worst in pot 3 for euro 2024 which as we've seen with this group gives a massive advantage if you draw a pot 2 team in transition like Austria. Would be disappointed not to finish 2nd and qualify automatically for next euros tbh (and that's without what happens in the nations league group which was obviously very useful last time).

Vast majority of squad are enthused and want to be there for all qualifiers and you're seeing the result on pitch and proper togetherness with those in the stands.

Average age of squad has been weeded down aswell and majority of those players can be around until perhaps world cup 2026.

He's done well for me. Good thing is he's made this changes quicker than what Strachan did who only worked out a good team from mid 2017 onwards and by then he'd had four years in the job and more than enough time.

Hard to think losing 3-0 in Kazakhstan was just two and a half years ago. Dosen't mean another result like that couldn't happen again but that was a real low for me and at that point you think would the narrative ever change but it has, just like it did for Wales and Northern Ireland after decades in the wilderness.

We could be in pot 4 if we get relegated from League B. I think we’d need to be the bottom ranked team in League B though. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We could be in pot 4 if we get relegated from League B. I think we’d need to be the bottom ranked team in League B though. 

That would be frustrating. Annoying finally finish second in qualifying group for first time since euro 2004 qualifying and yet it means nothing in terms of seedings for euro 2024 draw.

55 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

That would be frustrating. Annoying finally finish second in qualifying group for first time since euro 2004 qualifying and yet it means nothing in terms of seedings for euro 2024 draw.

We are playing well though so if we carry that on into next year then we shouldn’t get relegated and should hopefully get pot 3 comfortably. 

Who knows, we might even win our group and get pot 2. That would something.  

Outstanding in the end from Clarke, 23 points out of 30 considering the slow start is some going. Shame Danes gave nothing away for 9 games otherwise could've had a real go at getting 1st.

Only issue for me is potentially a few injuries and losing some momentum as long time to wait until end of March compared to say other qualifying groups in past which have ended in October and then you have play offs a month later.

Great effort to be at home for 1st play off as would be happy playing any of Austria, Finland and North Macedonia and all three very real options to draw.